Staying offsite for Marathon Weekend

vibbertations

Earning My Ears
Hello to all.

I will be staying offsite at the Homewood Suites during Marathon Weekend. I am running the half marathon on Saturday. I had a 20% coupon for the room for 4 days so it was really hard to pass that up. Has anyone stayed in this area before? Will I have any trouble making it to Epcot to park?

Plenty stay offsite and drive in so it is all a matter of timing to avoid the traffic around EPCOT area, the Event Guide has driving directions. At 3am, all other roads will be wide open.

I'm not sure where Homewood Suites is exactly, but we've stayed offsite for 2 marathon weekends and had no problems getting to Epcot. We do typically make sure we leave pretty early so that we get there in plenty of time and stay out of any major traffic. Most recently going to the half, we left our condo (about a 10-15 minute drive from Epcot) a little after 3 and sailed through to the parking lot with almost no traffic. Parking is well directed and easy to get to the start. We just sit in the comfort of our car for awhile after parking before heading to the start area.

I'm not sure where Homewood Suites is exactly, but we've stayed offsite for 2 marathon weekends and had no problems getting to Epcot. We do typically make sure we leave pretty early so that we get there in plenty of time and stay out of any major traffic. Most recently going to the half, we left our condo (about a 10-15 minute drive from Epcot) a little after 3 and sailed through to the parking lot with almost no traffic. Parking is well directed and easy to get to the start. We just sit in the comfort of our car for awhile after parking before heading to the start area.

Homewood Suites is North East from Epcot on Palm Parkway closest to Lake Ruby. I was hoping to leave around 4:15 instead of 3. Since I just registered a couple of weeks ago, I'm assuming I'll be in one of the corrals towards the back. I did turn in a prior race so I have fingers crossed I won't be in the very back. From the parking lot at Epcot, should I expect a 10 minute walk to the start or 45?

Homewood Suites is North East from Epcot on Palm Parkway closest to Lake Ruby. I was hoping to leave around 4:15 instead of 3. Since I just registered a couple of weeks ago, I'm assuming I'll be in one of the corrals towards the back. I did turn in a prior race so I have fingers crossed I won't be in the very back. From the parking lot at Epcot, should I expect a 10 minute walk to the start or 45?

It's a long walk. From the parking lot, you've got a relatively sort walk to the staging area. You have to go through a bag check (if you have one) this includes if you wear a running belt. So, that can take awhile but otherwise it's pretty quick to get to the staging area. But, from the staging area you have a pretty lengthy walk to the corrals. So, probably not 45 minutes, but quite a lot more than 10. I wouldn't wait until 4:15 to leave. I'd say it could take up to 20 minutes from the parking lot to the corrals. And that's assuming you can walk pretty quickly to get there. The distance isn't necessarily that far, but it's a crowded walk and it goes slow.

Now, if you didn't turn in proof of time, you'll likely be in the last corral, so that buys you some time because your corral won't start moving up much for probably 15+ minutes after the first corral leaves and then it's a slow crawl forward to the start. I'm way too nervous of a person at the start of a race to not give myself a cushion of time (and to allow for that last bathroom stop - and the lines for the portapotties right before the start are ridiculously long). If you are okay with pushing the limits, you might wait until 3:45 or 4 to leave, but I'd be nervous doing that. The traffic builds up quick. That's me though, so others might chime in who may have pushed the time later than I'm willing to do.

If I was staying off site I would make sure I am in the Epcot parking lot before 4:00am and aim for closer to 3:30am I would not risk being there any later and would most certainly not wait until after 4:00 to leave my resort. I'd get in there early and then take a little nap in the car.

Ok. So now, I'm leaving the hotel at 3:40, show up at 4:00 in the parking lot. Get mentally prepared (take a nap) for 30 minutes, visit portapotties then head to the corral and I got 20 minutes to hang out. Sound about right? Thanks for all your help.

Also, I'm not really expecting to PR on this race but I'm not planning on not PR'ing either. The plan is a negative split due to a start. If I happen to see Daisy or Sorcerer Mickey, I might stand in line for a selfie but are there a lot of major distractions or is it all pretty much centered around the two parks with nothing in between. A better question might be have you guys written or know of a blog that details the half marathon experience?

Be sure to set about THREE alarms, and make them LOUD, for taking a nap. (the fear of missing it all is why I would never do such a thing)

Ok. So now, I'm leaving the hotel at 3:40, show up at 4:00 in the parking lot. Get mentally prepared (take a nap) for 30 minutes, visit portapotties then head to the corral and I got 20 minutes to hang out. Sound about right? Thanks for all your help.

Also, I'm not really expecting to PR on this race but I'm not planning on not PR'ing either. The plan is a negative split due to a start. If I happen to see Daisy or Sorcerer Mickey, I might stand in line for a selfie but are there a lot of major distractions or is it all pretty much centered around the two parks with nothing in between. A better question might be have you guys written or know of a blog that details the half marathon experience?

That should work out.

I've only run the half once as part of a Goofy challenge, but I did find the course to be crazy crowded and that was pretty much throughout the whole thing. There were several places where I honestly had no choice but to walk even when I wanted to run. We do Galloway method and start about mid-pack usually with our POT. We are slow because we do stop for a lot of pictues, so we often end up finishing more toward the back of the pack because of all our stops. I think you can certainly find opportunities to work your way forward and hopefully negative split, but just go in with the expectation that you will have a lot of times that you are hemmed in and you just have to be patient and wait for your opportunities to move around people.

I wrote a trip report about our Goofy run. Here's the link to that http://www.disboards.com/threads/be...ce-2015-updated-x2-2-14-diagon-alley.3370766/

the part about the half starts about mid-way down on page 2. Again, I obviously run a really different type of race than you, but it might give you some idea about it. Good luck and enjoy the run. Disney races really are a great time!

That should work out.

I've only run the half once as part of a Goofy challenge, but I did find the course to be crazy crowded and that was pretty much throughout the whole thing. There were several places where I honestly had no choice but to walk even when I wanted to run. We do Galloway method and start about mid-pack usually with our POT. We are slow because we do stop for a lot of pictues, so we often end up finishing more toward the back of the pack because of all our stops. I think you can certainly find opportunities to work your way forward and hopefully negative split, but just go in with the expectation that you will have a lot of times that you are hemmed in and you just have to be patient and wait for your opportunities to move around people.

I wrote a trip report about our Goofy run. Here's the link to that http://www.disboards.com/threads/be...ce-2015-updated-x2-2-14-diagon-alley.3370766/

the part about the half starts about mid-way down on page 2. Again, I obviously run a really different type of race than you, but it might give you some idea about it. Good luck and enjoy the run. Disney races really are a great time!

I really enjoyed your coverage!! That was a fun read. Very nice detail with the pictures.

I turned in a time of 1:57:05 but since I just registered a few weeks ago, I'm assuming I'll get stuck in a later corral. If I happen to get up front, do you think it would be as crowded?

As far as character stops, I would probably only stop for Sorcerer Mickey, Daisy Duck, Toy Story characters, or Olaf. Is there a listing of characters or is it a surprise the day of?

Agreed. It's a big, big race and I too had to slow to a walk in some spots - specifically on Main Street, coming through the castle, and when you leave the Magic Kingdom (my least favorite area of the course).

As to your character questions, Gisele's report hopefully helped answer most of those - most of the characters are in the Magic Kingdom portion of the course. I think you possibly could negative split just because after you get through the initial exiting the Magic Kingdom part of the course, it opens up a little more as you go back to Epcot.

Your specific characters you're interested in...I have never seen Sorcerer Mickey or Olaf on the course. I don't remember Daisy either...as for Toy Story characters, pay attention as you go through Frontierland. I have gotten pictures in front of the Country Bear Jamboree (I think) with Jessie and Bullseye.

They don't list the characters ahead of time, but by reading reports you can at least get an idea of where to look for them. They do seem to repeat some each years (example: pirate ship around mile marker 2, Jack and Sally also in that mile, etc.). I have run the half twice and have reports for both in case you'd like to read (both linked in my signature). :)

They don't list the characters ahead of time, but by reading reports you can at least get an idea of where to look for them. They do seem to repeat some each years (example: pirate ship around mile marker 2, Jack and Sally also in that mile, etc.). I have run the half twice and have reports for both in case you'd like to read (both linked in my signature). :)

Any characters or outfits you'd like to see? My wife's friend is the head costumer, and we might be able to put in a special request or two.

I really enjoyed your coverage!! That was a fun read. Very nice detail with the pictures.

I turned in a time of 1:57:05 but since I just registered a few weeks ago, I'm assuming I'll get stuck in a later corral. If I happen to get up front, do you think it would be as crowded?

As far as character stops, I would probably only stop for Sorcerer Mickey, Daisy Duck, Toy Story characters, or Olaf. Is there a listing of characters or is it a surprise the day of?

Thanks! Glad the report was helpful. Well, I've never been up front, so I can't say for sure, but from what I've heard, yes the crowding would be substantially less. There is definitely a cummulative effect the further back you are.

I've only run the half the one time, but as Shannon said I've never seen Olaf or Sorcerer Mickey during any of the races I've run. I've seen Daisy on the marathon course, but not the half. I'd agree about looking in Frontierland for Toy Story although I can't say I remember specifically seeing them on the course.

Looked back through my pics...two different spots. Either way...look to your left as you're going through Frontierland. Hopefully this will give you an idea of where to look @vibbertations

From Princess Half in 2011 (same course as WDW half):
HpzXjlDPEwARjF8CvMJzR44QOim-YLYFomtyi4SRqXsj24T1wWAF9ZThI0opLL1icI4l9xSbnIbWRZjIR08lRXWtshJ6pYgotG6ctlMheHoxK4mEB7tCxG-8x-xtSSVKDu0EUPLot6cAhtrjWau4qV37zG2PeTDwcg-OQ8EB4xpFvYPd3KhPZk9iSK9hPHO6KrDQ8PGsAlTAXZgl3ua95zpfGUlEUUDO1u1OGUz4OxZ-wcAgHHLzcvbv3vOUgmTsbgeoaIWOArxC2HSdcf8vLmj3GXStdPRvacQ43aj4ZUQhBhc9UIMhL1rFF_Pnxibyjb948wUOhz2zO64ITdt10S_MZjxRSBi_K6hX0EahWhVnfZfiM-2NL0blMD_rWPDL3FJJC_gMYMpOO6aNl5DNY2cGDzIsr6tyejngqWdTrh-dK8sgD3jmoBLw5gE7e_ZTdLU4a5g5yeT-Fsjf_4vDif4N2paP9b4E-v49z4ugJ_ua3TYShW5h68uTGM1nSHdIJrzYCIPXngxSp2scT13L9rCR0ip-wUcl5KJ4GNoAb6fH=w1107-h995-no

And from WDW Marathon in 2013 (WDW half route through the Magic Kingdom is very similar):
3Mf5rSiJQPNsdyIRnbLPLp-Fjkkg7sUy0Rg95dHcB5ayqRgcVpfcdwmnmzL-YKbMnYwgvAxt4HsS1mc9gNK70e47AUXSp5Cvydjtekg_F6KOskN48uFv28RL3Po63NLeNutreHZhl8RBAnI6P29Lqavz1nL-dty9721BwSDkG9kIrsYzDoPHU-tHPpy0Uz2EDuD4WMVzuwPK3zlhDcvv9woF1NsQqIkNcHX4rCQFa02FLmQs1BZuTEjXsDz9CH2GssWpGA0-AJCIzaBLuDkBohfc6bNLiLn4GEwfxDXUai88I3RUrZ38b_Hf_Z_TBKd6dIHgTh-5j3PGE4MKTbt64F4Jt2P10sBCv5BXnv6Zcn3LmvaBzYPnBxIRrXfSEeajnJktDVtOWYACOb-uqRPz02tLumUUXEKsuIQXIs2g1sdcJNhVuQyXI4T_arLayIu2p626YxaVyXqj-MREFzrVppy3NfKLgxlXWCbHYolCXPEk6U7nAWH1wKHmtF9VGqErKV-HW_7mgVwMO8TS55pyc4hsAKEf-8jcFuNiIXSyTgI=w747-h995-no

Looked back through my pics...two different spots. Either way...look to your left as you're going through Frontierland. Hopefully this will give you an idea of where to look @vibbertations

From Princess Half in 2011 (same course as WDW half):

Awesome pics! My 3 year old daughter is a Toy Story fanatic. She dressed up as Jessie for Halloween, sleeps with a Jessie doll, and plays with the small figurines during bath time. I'll keep my fingers crossed she's there!

Look's like I've got some more reading to do to "strategize" this thing.

Any characters or outfits you'd like to see? My wife's friend is the head costumer, and we might be able to put in a special request or two.
Well I was a huge Sorcerer Mickey fan in my youth. That's about the only character we didn't meet during our February trip in 2015. Had my fingers crossed in Characterpalooza but he didn't show...but we met SEVERAL characters there.

Wait a minute...have I hijacked my own thread? :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!