Staying @ Hard Rock Hotel, Portofino Bay Resort, or Royal Pacific Resort? Start here!

Maybe you are right. I have long since given up on the idea of extending the vacation anyway. Shame, as an extra 2 nights would have given me the chance to do Busch Gardens and I daresay even a Disney waterpark. Oh well.

But regarding your theory

If somebody else booked my desired hotel dates (inc the 2 night extension), it would cost them £600 LESS than if I agreed to add 2 nights onto the end of my existing PAID-FOR holiday. Obviously I thought of cancelling what I had already booked, and then re-book again immediately with the new rates...until Virgin Holidays politely informed me that there would be a 50% penalty of my full holiday price if I wanted to cancel it. :scared1:

So really, they knew they had me bent over backwards. It would have been cheaper to pay a ludicrous extra £400 per night for that 2 night extension, then it would to actually cancel the holiday and rebook (please note that as I am coming from the UK, this extra £800 fee would be inclusive of flights too, so it's not necessarily a problem with Loews, it's more than likely that there are not enough cheap seats left on the flight I wanted on the new proposed day to come home, thus the price of the seats suddenly got higher).

Don't get me wrong, I am still perfectly happy with my booking, and I will always use Virgin Holidays. From the UK, they are perfect and work closely with Loews in particular at UOR (not so much HRH), even having travel reps available at the hotel to sort out any queries first hand for their customers.

But I guess I'm just disappointed that I can't get those extra 2 nights at the advertised rate due to smallprint. ;)

What I've experienced in trying to alter a reservation is that unless there is complete occupancy for what you want and the rate you want, you can't just add onto your reservation.

For example, I had a Wed,Thurs, Fri reservation using annual pass rate. I wanted to eliminate the Friday and add a Tuesday. However the rate that I had was no longer available for the Wednesday. So I was told that I would have to rebook the entire stay at the new and much more expensive rate. It was ridiculous because I didn't want to change my Wednesday and Thursday bookings; I just wanted to add and delete. I would have been fine with paying a different rate for the date I added.

The reservationist told me that in order to change a reservation, they cancel your entire present reservation and rebook, which is absolutely ridiculous. Whoever had them design their reservation software sure wasn't thinking it through.

Luckily, my Wednesday rate eventually did come up and I cancelled and rebooked the entire thing online.

Few more questions about RPR: ;)

1. Is it possible to walk around the ornamental lobby pool? I cannot remember if you can walk outside to that part or if it is just for looking at through glass from the lobby.

2. How busy is the hotel during the dead of night? I am hoping to get some HD video footage of the grounds and the hotel itself during the night. Are there some areas that are off-limits at night? (i know the pool will be, but I presume inside the hotel I can still walk around coridoors and use the elevators, walk into lobby etc.)

3. When does the RPR pool tend to get busy? I don't want to be the only one around the pool, although I don't want to have to battle for a sunlounger, either. Bear in mind, I am there May/June, so it's not really considered 'peak'.

4. If I take my laptop, who do I tell that I want the $10 fee for internet? Do I say this at check in? Or will they just monitor my internet usage and charge my room for the final bill?

5. I have seen turtles in ponds at RPR. Where exactly are these ponds, and can the turtles be fed officially?

6. How sensitive are the smoke detectors in the rooms? I use aerosol deodorant spray, would this set them off?

My 11 y/o needs to know urgently:laughing: if there is any kind of video gaming system in the RPR rooms. If anyone can enlighten him, I know he will be grateful. Well actually, he will only be grateful if the answer is yes!:rotfl2:

My 11 y/o needs to know urgently:laughing: if there is any kind of video gaming system in the RPR rooms. If anyone can enlighten him, I know he will be grateful. Well actually, he will only be grateful if the answer is yes!:rotfl2:

I don't think so, no. :headache: But you can get wired Internet for an extra $10 per night.

There is a large game room on the ground floor beside the pool and next to the gym. This will be sufficient to ease your 11yr old's pain.

But as far as I'm aware, there is no option to rent a Wii or PS3 or anything.

He will be having so much at the park(s) that he won't mind the loss of a game system. Are you planning to visit the parks all day of your stay?

Few more questions about RPR: ;)

1. Is it possible to walk around the ornamental lobby pool? I cannot remember if you can walk outside to that part or if it is just for looking at through glass from the lobby.

you can go to that middle section, which is outdoors inside the lobby.
smoking is allowed that area in case you didn't know.

2. How busy is the hotel during the dead of night? I am hoping to get some HD video footage of the grounds and the hotel itself during the night. Are there some areas that are off-limits at night? (i know the pool will be, but I presume inside the hotel I can still walk around coridoors and use the elevators, walk into lobby etc.)

not that busy.
when i can't sleep, i wander the halls and don't notice many people out at that time.

3. When does the RPR pool tend to get busy? I don't want to be the only one around the pool, although I don't want to have to battle for a sunlounger, either. Bear in mind, I am there May/June, so it's not really considered 'peak'.
when it is very hot, the pool will be crowded.

4. If I take my laptop, who do I tell that I want the $10 fee for internet? Do I say this at check in? Or will they just monitor my internet usage and charge my room for the final bill?
you can sign up at the front desk.
check the hours when you do as you are charged for a 24 hour period.
that time period is not when you start to use the internet but by the time designated by the hotel.
when i was there last, the start up time was 3:00 am to 3:00 pm.
you can get the wifi in the lobby area if you don't pay the internet fee.

5. I have seen turtles in ponds at RPR. Where exactly are these ponds, and can the turtles be fed officially?

6. How sensitive are the smoke detectors in the rooms? I use aerosol deodorant spray, would this set them off?
not that sensitive.
using aerosol in the room, won't set off the smoke detectors.

in the king suites at rph, there is a game system and controllers in the dresser drawer in the living room.
the tv is on top of this dresser.
don't know what or if there is a charge for playing it.

i don't use it so i have never asked about it when i am there.

Are you planning to visit the parks all day of your stay?

We generally like to come back to the hotel after lunch for naps, swim and relaxation. We were gonna stay at Nickelodeon Suites, and they had one. He will be disappointed that there isn't one here, but not nearly as disappointed as he is gonna be when he finds out that he has to share a bed with his sister!LOL!

He will get over it. I may just bring his from home. We are driving, so it's not a problem.

Royal Pacific Resort, its really enjoyable place. If you want to feel the royal stuff then this place is for you. All the staff is so kind and always try to keep the customer happy.

I am wondering, are there any type of requirements regarding anti-virus installation on your laptops if using the internet services at RPR?

My anti-virus recently expired on my laptop (i only use it when travelling) which I will be taking with me to RPR.

Would there be a problem using the lobby WIFI for example?

Even at university, we have to have valid anti-virus programs on our computers otherwise cannot connect to the university internet servers.

I am wondering, are there any type of requirements regarding anti-virus installation on your laptops if using the internet services at RPR?

My anti-virus recently expired on my laptop (i only use it when travelling) which I will be taking with me to RPR.

Would there be a problem using the lobby WIFI for example?

Even at university, we have to have valid anti-virus programs on our computers otherwise cannot connect to the university internet servers.

Every time I have use the internet I saw no requirement. In the past I used to use Norton, but have gotten rid of it. Now I use AVG free and have no problems. Just make sure your computer is up to date and at least running windows firewall. When you connect make sure you choose public and not private. I don't think there would be any problem at the resorts.:thumbsup2

Maybe I will see you in the lobby or lounge next week. :thumbsup2

Every time I have use the internet I saw no requirement. In the past I used to use Norton, but have gotten rid of it. Now I use AVG free and have no problems. Just make sure your computer is up to date and at least running windows firewall. When you connect make sure you choose public and not private. I don't think there would be any problem at the resorts.:thumbsup2

Maybe I will see you in the lobby or lounge next week. :thumbsup2

Thanks for the advice. :thumbsup2

And yeah, I will be at RPR in the final 2/3 days of your stay so we may bump into each other unknowingly. I don't arrive until 29th, PM -but wish I booked more than 7 nights now. It will all be over too soon...

Hope you have a lovely stay! :wizard:

Doesn't really fit anywhere so I'll ask here:

Is the AP just for Florida residents, US citizens? Or can I buy one from the UK? I know this means a lot of transatlantic airfares, but if I came often enough what are the benefits I could have with regard nightly rates at the hotels? And could these benefits at all ever outweigh the extra cost of recurring transatlantic travel? :confused3

From this year onwards, I plan 3 trips per year to UOR, staying onsite obviously each time. I guess 15-25 nights in total each year...but with AP would these nights be cheaper for me compared to making the bookings without AP?

Doesn't really fit anywhere so I'll ask here:

Is the AP just for Florida residents, US citizens? Or can I buy one from the UK? I know this means a lot of transatlantic airfares, but if I came often enough what are the benefits I could have with regard nightly rates at the hotels? And could these benefits at all ever outweigh the extra cost of recurring transatlantic travel? :confused3

From this year onwards, I plan 3 trips per year to UOR, staying onsite obviously each time. I guess 15-25 nights in total each year...but with AP would these nights be cheaper for me compared to making the bookings without AP?

Anyone can buy an AP. I'm Canadian and have had one for years. AP rates aren't always available. The really busy times don't have great discounts but if you are going in slightly off times, the discounts can be about 30%.

You can check now to see what is available. Just put in the code APH in the code box.

Thanks.

I normally book through Virgin Holidays (Virgin Atlantic's holiday branch) so presumably I cannot get upto 30% off the rooms when I book with them? I can't see how that would work, unless I do it directly with UOR online - in which case I wouldn't get the discounted Virgin flights thrown in! :lmao:

Shame, as the benefits look nice for me. Possibly I have left it too late for 2011 anyway. I shall certainly have another look to be a 2012 AP holder. :thumbsup2

I am leaving for Universal Orlando in less than 12 hours! :thumbsup2

My flight is at 11.15am BST, arriving in Orlando approx 15.25 local time ( 9 hour flight :scared1: ), and I really hope I can get a few hours in IOA that evening, as the park doesn't shut til 10pm!

I didn't bother requesting a room at RPR, I just gotta hope they don't put me in the Pet Wing. I hope I get Tower 3 again - the one closest to the pool! Although I wouldn't mind Tower 1. Anything but Tower 2! :sick:

Not taking my laptop, so I will report back in 9-10 days time! :cheer2:

It was wifi in the rooms last July, no wired , and when you log on to the loews internet site for the resort, they give you the option of internet for 1 day or 3 days i think it was, and it is charged to the room once you register,

It was wifi in the rooms last July, no wired , and when you log on to the loews internet site for the resort, they give you the option of internet for 1 day or 3 days i think it was, and it is charged to the room once you register,

Thats what is was last week. I tried the wired connection and we could not get it to work even with a call to the front desk. We used the wifi in the room.

I am not looking forward to seeing my phone bill this month.

I used my Blackberry Internet all over the hotel, not just the free wifi in the lobby, so wish me luck. ;)

I have to report though that I often could not get a signal in the lobby, and the dark lighting leaves a lot to be desired. I got a headache trying to read because the lights were so dim!

The best place for a strong signal seems to be over by the concierge desk. Please tell me this counts as part of the lobby area? :scared1:

Have prices gone up generally for the onsite hotels recently?

I must have been too occupied with my existing booking to pay any attention.

I am looking at packages from Virgin Holidays, and it seems Universal's onsite hotels are around £300 per package dearer than the WDW ones (7 nights plus flights). That's around $500! :mad:

Seems like I am the only one who posts here now. ;)

Anyway, I wanted to get off my chest something that happened at RPR.

I phoned initially Star Service to see if they could arrange a pickup time for me from Mears to take me to MCO. They said I had to do it myself, as it was a prepaid booking.

Ok, fair enough.

But I did not have any numbers for Mears, so I phoned up Guest Services (i think) and they were a little brutal in simply redirecting my call to the RPR transportation people.

These people (I forget the name of their dept) gave me a phone number that was COMPLETELY wrong, it was for a different cab company.

I phoned them up again a few mins later to ask the same question, and I was rudely told "listen sir I have just given you the number!". :rolleyes: I then explained that it was the wrong number, and was then told "well thats the only number we have for Mears". :mad:

What a load of crock. I found them to be rude, and not very knowledgeable. I didn't find it to be good customer service at all, and everybody I spoke to that morning was rude and uninterested in helping me. :sad2:

This is not a problem with Mears, they are a great taxi service, with very courteous drivers. BUT I hope other people have a better experience trying to obtain phone numbers from Loews staff than I did. It was a horrible way to end my stay in Orlando to be honest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter