Staying @ Hard Rock Hotel, Portofino Bay Resort, or Royal Pacific Resort? Start here!

I apologize for being ignorant, but this is our first trip to Universal, though we are Disney fanatics. We are traveling in April of this year, considering hard rock, but after reading this thread I am thinking of moving to RP. I don't see anything on the website about the themed rooms. Can someone point me in the direction of that information. Also, is there anything I NEED to know about staying at Universal vs staying at Disney?

Edited to add: How many days would you recommend in the parks. We have 2 kids who are 5 and 6. We're not huge on the big thrill rides, but will be going on a good number of rides while there.

We're checking into RPR on Friday. Am I remembering correctly that they have Keurig's in the room? Do they have disposable cups in the room, and do they have lids, or should I buy a pack of disposable cups with lids to bring? I need my coffee in the morning but I don't want to carry around more than I have to once I leave for the parks. (Also, if it's Keurigs, I can bring my own preferred kcups, which would be nice.)

I apologize for being ignorant, but this is our first trip to Universal, though we are Disney fanatics. We are traveling in April of this year, considering hard rock, but after reading this thread I am thinking of moving to RP. I don't see anything on the website about the themed rooms. Can someone point me in the direction of that information. Also, is there anything I NEED to know about staying at Universal vs staying at Disney?

Edited to add: How many days would you recommend in the parks. We have 2 kids who are 5 and 6. We're not huge on the big thrill rides, but will be going on a good number of rides while there.
The family suites at the resorts are generally the only themed rooms( they are not cheap ) .Portofino has Despicable me , Royal Pacific Jurassic park and I am not sure what Hard Rock has. We do 4 parks days, 2 per park .You would be fine with 3 , 1 for each and 1 for whatever you miss .

We're checking into RPR on Friday. Am I remembering correctly that they have Keurig's in the room? Do they have disposable cups in the room, and do they have lids, or should I buy a pack of disposable cups with lids to bring? I need my coffee in the morning but I don't want to carry around more than I have to once I leave for the parks. (Also, if it's Keurigs, I can bring my own preferred kcups, which would be nice.)
Yes there are Keurigs and I am pretty sure there are a couple to-go cups with lids too

We are headed to Siesta Key in June and with the price of flights, it makes sense for us to fly in a few days early so we thought it would be cool to go to universal for 3 days. I want to make sure I understand this correctly and its still valid - if we stay 1 night at Royal Pacific, we get unlimited express and early entry for 2 days? I am assuming the parks will open at 8/9am in the summer? So we could "check in" on Thursday at 7am, get our keys and then check out Friday morning and have the unlimited access and early entry for both Thursday and Friday?

We are headed to Siesta Key in June and with the price of flights, it makes sense for us to fly in a few days early so we thought it would be cool to go to universal for 3 days. I want to make sure I understand this correctly and its still valid - if we stay 1 night at Royal Pacific, we get unlimited express and early entry for 2 days? I am assuming the parks will open at 8/9am in the summer? So we could "check in" on Thursday at 7am, get our keys and then check out Friday morning and have the unlimited access and early entry for both Thursday and Friday?
YES, and so worth it!

We are staying at RPR Tuesday 3/22 to get the express passes for Tuesday and Wednesday. Wednesday night we're staying at Holiday Inn.

My question is about our luggage Wednesday morning after we check out and go to the parks for the day. Will RPR hold our luggage after we check out and are no longer guests until we can check into HI later that evening?

We are staying at RPR Tuesday 3/22 to get the express passes for Tuesday and Wednesday. Wednesday night we're staying at Holiday Inn.

My question is about our luggage Wednesday morning after we check out and go to the parks for the day. Will RPR hold our luggage after we check out and are no longer guests until we can check into HI later that evening?
Yes

Quick food question...staying club level at HRH in a week or so...just overnight. Can anyone give me an idea of what the food offerings are at club level? Trying to decide what meals we'll need to do, based on what is offered at club level.

Do the rooms at Portofino Bay Hotel have refrigerators?

Last edited:
Booked a Despicable Me family suite at Portofino Bay Hotel for April 2016? My inlaws are meeting us there so I was curious if anyone knows what type of room would they have to book to have the best chance of being closest to us?? There is the garden view or bay view and wondering which they should choose. Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Have the family member call to book their room stay
And have them give your name and booking dates so you can have rooms near each other

TM that does their booking will tell them the type of rooms that are closest to yours

Then call about 6 days out to repeat your request to be near each other's rooms

Can't say which type of rooms will be near yours at this point as it varies a

Looking to book October 2016 for a week. There are three of us (our son will be 8). I'm comparing a Hard Rock deluxe room at 500 sf, a Portofino deluxe room at 490 sf, and a Royal Pacific suite at 670 sf. All three rooms are within $10/nite of each other. Do any of them have a kitchen or kitchenette? The pics I've seen of RP don't look very elegant, but it has more room and an extra TV (so my kid can watch kid stuff). The rooms and bathrooms in Portofino look great, as does the pool, but it is the farthest from the parks.

Any suggestions on which may nicer and more comfortable overall? Thanks.

I always stay in a king suite at rpr
The pictures you see on the website are out dated

The towers have been renovated recently and Reno rooms have a small fridge besides the pod coffee makers

The living room has the tv and the sofa is a pull out bed
Rooms are separated with a door

The king suites at hrh that I have stayed in did not have the same type of room set up

I believe they were last renovated a couple of years back

You can't go wrong with either of them

I prefer rpr due to the ambiance of the hotel
I like its proximity to city walk and that it has 4 restaurants onsite
Tchoup chop, Bula bar by the pool, Jakes which is open late after midnight and Island dining room

the parking at universal hotels are not a bad price.
stay in chicago and pay $40 a night for the hotels.
i've paid high parking rates in ny and dc before too.

but if you do day trips to UO and have the preferred/premier AP, no parking charge at the garage

A couple of questions please :)

Re. parking, I will not have a car - does the charge get put onto the bill automatically and I have to ask them to take it off, is it best to tell them when I check in I don't have a car?

Re. fridge in room, I have various medicines that must be kept refrigerated, I know there is the $15 a day charge for a fridge but if I am using it for medicinal reasons will they waive the cost? 8 nights x $15 really increases the cost (!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!