Staying at holiday inn outside of park

Discussion in 'Orlando Hotels and Attractions' started by Jonathkn, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Jonathkn

Jonathkn Earning My Ears

Would it be worth it to stay outside the park in Disney springs in a holiday inn? I have free rooms.. I know the experience is definitely worth it to stay in the park.. but with free rooms wouldn’t you take the free rooms? How is parking and transportation to the parks

2. kaytieeldr

kaytieeldr Post hoc, ergo propter hoc

I would take the free room. Don't know about parking. It was a Courtyard when I stayed there, with sufficient parking, but I think HI charges a nightly fee.

Buses come every 30 or 60 minutes, depending on the park and time of day, with a published schedule.. Each side of the street has its own buses, so you will share with two of three other resorts. You will be walking distance from Disney Springs. The MK stop is at the TTC, not at the park.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. Lynne M

Lynne M Moderator Moderator

I’m gonna move this to our Orlando Hotels board, where the Disney Springs hotels are discussed. :)

Hopefully likes this.
  5. writerguyfl

writerguyfl DIS Veteran

Actually, the buses come every 30 minutes. You're probably thinking about the Hilton Bonnet Creek and Waldorf Astoria Orlando. Those hotels are the ones with the published schedules and times with 60+ minute gaps during the day.

Information on the Disney Springs Hotels Bus Service: https://www.disboards.com/threads/disney-springs-hotels-bus-information.3653605/

Free is great. But, make sure you understand the type of experience you'll get by staying at one of the Disney Springs Hotels. It is different from staying at a Disney Resort. You'll need to set you expectations accordingly to be happy there.

First, make sure you are looking at the correct Holiday Inn. You want the Holiday Inn Orlando-Disney Springs Area located at 1805 Hotel Plaza Blvd. (People often confuse this hotel with the Holiday Inn Resort.)

Second, make sure you understand the location. Disney Resorts can feel more isolated because they are purposely built away from outside distractions. In contast, the Disney Springs Hotels are right next to Interstate 4. This aerial photo from Bing Maps shows the relationship of the hotels to the highway. The Holiday Inn Orlando-Disney Springs is the two buildings right in the middle of the photo.

[​IMG]

The seven Disney Springs Hotels operate their own shuttle bus system. It works well for what it is, but it works a little differently from Disney's own buses. For all the details, read the thread I linked above.

Make sure you understand the fees involved. Parking would cost extra. Currently, it's $14/night for self parking or $20/night for valet. If you decide to drive to the theme parks, you will need to pay Disney's daily parking rate. Also, the Holiday Inn Orlando-Disney Springs has a resort fee of $17/night. You will need to check to see if you are exempt from that fee if you have a "free" room. (Different hotel chains handle that differently.)

As far as the hotel goes, it's my second favorite of the seven. (My favorite is the DoubleTree Suites.) I've stayed 3 or 4 times at this Holiday Inn over that past couple of years. I've been impressed each time. The staff is very good, as is the management. On two separate occasions, I had managers approach me in the lobby to ask if my stay was going well. That sort of thing doesn't happen at most hotels.

I've eaten at the restaurant a couple of times, but don't have any distinct memories (good or bad). I generally opt to walk over to Disney Springs when staying at one of these hotels because the food is a little better. (I love Wolfgang Puck Express.) Provided it's not raining, the walk is pleasant.

I hope some of that information helps.

HopperFan likes this.
  6. kaytieeldr

kaytieeldr Post hoc, ergo propter hoc

Everything writerguyfl wrote is accurate, but I just wanted to point out (for fun) how old that picture is. The parking lot isn't paved!

7. writerguyfl

writerguyfl DIS Veteran

Haha. It looks that way, doesn't it. But it is actually paved. I saved the larger, higher-resolution image that I used to create what you see above. In that, you can clearly make out painted lines on the parking lot.

The Hilton Lake Buena Vista's parking lot (to the left of the lower I-4 symbol) is a black-top surface. The Holiday Inn Orlando-Disney Springs (and other lots) use a lighter-colored, concrete-looking surface.

Edited to Add: I'm sure the photo is quite old. Both Bing Maps and Google Maps still show only one garage (Orange) at Disney Springs. And it's still under construction on those maps. The area where the Lime Garage stands today is a surface lot and the entire Town Center neighborhood is missing from the aerial photos.