Staying at GF, walk to Poly for Monorail to Epcot...Question

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by js, May 15, 2019 at 1:49 PM.

1. js

js Been around since before the disboards 90s crash

Hi.
    I will be with my mom in September and staying at the GFVs. She will have a scooter.

I know when we have to go to Epcot, we have to transfer at TTC and then take the Epcot monorail from there. I am a fast walker and my mom will be in a scooter. Do you think it will be any quicker to walk over to the Poly/TTC from GF and just get on the Epcot monorail at TTC, especially if we want to do RD?

Thank you.

2. AngiTN

AngiTN DIS Veteran

Quicker than riding all the way around and stopping at MK and CR first? Then transferring to Epcot Monorail? Yes.

drwadadli likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. foodiddiedoo

foodiddiedoo DIS Veteran

It's about 1 mile from main building to the TTC via a walking route. I think it would take you more than 20 minutes to go all the way around and transfer than a slow paced walk (I'm assuming you can do it faster than that).

5. Brett Wyman

Brett Wyman DIS Veteran

Google Maps says its .9 miles or a 19 minute walk. I bet it wouldn't take much more than that to get around to the TTC stop. Depending on how long it sat at each station that is.

6. MrKnight

MrKnight Former WDWCM & Proud DIS Member

In all honesty it will likely end up being about the same time-wise as just taking the monorail GF to TTC and transferring. With that said, it really comes down to personal preference and how you feel that morning, if the weather is nice and you are feeling comfortable with a 20 minute walk then it could very well be a very scenic and enjoyable walk, if you rather minimize walking and the scenic walk is not overly important to you then monorail would be the way to go.

Either way, ENJOY! :)

7. seashoreCM

seashoreCM All around nice guy.

"It's about 1 mile from Grand Floridian main building monorail station to the Transportation & Ticket Center monorail transfer station via a walking route."

Take into account the battery usage of the scooter when deciding to have the family walk past the Polynesian as opposed to riding the monorail Past Magic Kingdom and the Contemporary Resort. Bringing along a "3 prong to 2 prong adapter" may help the power cord of the scooter reach a recessed floor receptacle say in a restaurant for mid-day recharging.

8. kaytieeldr

kaytieeldr Post hoc, ergo propter hoc

A properly charged/charging ECV battery should not need a boost or top-ofc midday, even with the extra mile. In fact, recharging for brief periods could damage the battery.

9. GrnMtnMan

GrnMtnMan DIS Veteran

Don't forget to factor in the time required to go through security. At the TTC, you'll have to go through security with all the people coming from the MK/TTC parking lot. Might be easier to do that check at the GF monorail stop....

Mom2DisneyBabies and Hopefully like this.
  10. drwadadli

drwadadli T-I-double "guh"-errrr

I think it is faster to walk but it all comes down to personal preference. We have done both but in the mornings we prefer to walk it when in the hot afternoons, we prefer to take the monorails.

AngiTN likes this.
  11. js

Thank you all very much!
    I think I will plan on walking over there and getting on monorail for Epcot.

How about MK, would it be quicker than going on monorail from GF to MK or walk to TTC and get on monorail for MK?
    Thank you all so much!

12. foodiddiedoo

foodiddiedoo DIS Veteran

Monorail from GF is first stop MK. Going to TTC is the opposite direction and you'd have to pass GF again.

AngiTN and GADisneyDad14 like this.
  13. js

Wow and thanks LOL
    I will just walk over to Poly for Epcot.

Thank you so much again!

foodiddiedoo likes this.
  14. foodiddiedoo

foodiddiedoo DIS Veteran

Not sure about the friendship boats and EVCs but on your way back from MK to GF, the friendship boats go straight to GF and take less time than a loop around for Monorail.

15. joelkfla

joelkfla DIS Veteran

Not Friendship Boats, just WDW Watercraft. The Friendship Boats only run to the Epcot Resorts and in WS Lagoon.

16. GADisneyDad14

GADisneyDad14 TPAS Moderator Moderator

I know this is probably what you mean and I’m picking on words here, but just for the benefit of others reading along who don’t know WDW well, you’d really be walking through the Poly resort grounds to get to the TTC where you’ll board the Epcot line.

Sorry, I know that’s anal.

17. GADisneyDad14

The GF/Poly/MK boat loop is normally served by the smaller resort launch boats which can’t take ECVs and require strollers to be folded.

Occasionally - mainly during the evenings and high traffic times - they’ll put one of the bigger friendship-style boats on the GF/Poly/MK loop for awhile. That bigger boat can take ECVs.

AngiTN likes this.
  18. foodiddiedoo

foodiddiedoo DIS Veteran

You're right...but Friendship sounds so much nicer doesn't it? :)

19. GoofyCoaster

GoofyCoaster Mouseketeer

Interesting. I have never seen anything but the smallest watercraft launch run the GF-Poly-MK loop. Do they use one of the larger boats that usually runs the route to Wilderness lodge and the campground? Or is it actually one of the striped Friendship boats from Crescent lake?

20. AngiTN

AngiTN DIS Veteran

The same ones that run the WL route. Since they are the ones already on that waterway
    I've seen it running when the monorail is down once and I've seen it running when the wind was too high for the small boat but not too high for the bigger boat (I assume, since it was pretty windy)
    I wouldn't plan on using an ECV on a boat to GF or Poly but they do run them every once in a while. Too rare to count on in my opinion

GoofyCoaster likes this.
  21. GADisneyDad14

It is definitely not that common, but it does happen. I’m not a watercraft expert but I ‘think’ it’s that same boat/boat style as the larger WL/FW one.

With an ECV, it would really only be an option if you happen to see it on the water/about to dock, otherwise more often than not it’s the smaller boat.

GoofyCoaster and AngiTN like this.