Staying at GCH, tell me about cabana rentals please

shuteye

Mouseketeer
Since we are staying at GC for first time we are considering renting a cabana. However, I heard you can actually rent a cabana at DLH? Is the DLH pool a better option for a 14 and 10 year old over the GCH? How does that work exactly and how big of a hassle is it?

Can't tell you which pool your kiddos would like more as our first trip isn't until later this year, but according to this recent thread, guests staying at GCH can indeed book cabanas at DLH, and vice-versa (prices are also in the thread).

http://www.disboards.com/threads/cabana-prices.3410720/

I would be curious to hear others' experience with cabana rentals too. We are staying at VGC and our flight home on a Friday leaves from SNA at 6:30 pm. I think we are going to try to hit up at least one of the parks that morning for an hour or two, but that leaves us from 11 am check-out time until car service pickup around 4:00 to keep our almost 5yo and almost 3yo entertained, and I think spending all that time in the parks at the end of a busy week will result in two very big grumps on the flight home. I thought a cabana might give us a nice place to hang out and relax in the afternoon, but without actually seeing the pools and cabanas in person it's hard to know which one would be better.

Anyone else have experience with this and want to chime in? We're renting points for our stay, so if I want to add on a cabana rental before we arrive, can I do that by calling the hotel? Or does the DVC owner have to call member services to add that on?

we have rented both at the VGC, and the DH, it's a good idea to get one early, especially on the the weekends, you have 60 days prior to your specific day you want to reserve one, they have morning hours 8:30-12:30 or afternoon hours 1-5 for ($110.00), or you can rent the whole day for $185.00 your choice, but IMO worth it, as you know how quickly the lounge chairs fill.

We stay at GCH and have rented a half day DLH pool cabana. Last April it was for my 3yr old DD and her cousins 3yrs and 6yrs. The kids loved the monorail slides and the "kiddie" pool. But they also love GCH pool just as much because of the little slide and GCH "kiddie" pool that's great for 3yr olds to splash around in without worry.

It's not a hassle - we did it at the front desk at check in but if it's a busy time of year I would suggest pre-booking it.

Renting a cabana for the day trip home is a great idea, the kids can nap in a shaded, comfortable place and you aren't all exhausted from sitting in the sun. I want to say my Mom walked the kids back to GCH and used the showers by the pool to clean them up (My cousin and I were busy having too many wine spritzers :rolleyes1)...can someone confirm there are showers by the pool?

we have rented both at the VGC, and the DH, it's a good idea to get one early, especially on the the weekends, you have 60 days prior to your specific day you want to reserve one, they have morning hours 8:30-12:30 or afternoon hours 1-5 for ($110.00), or you can rent the whole day for $185.00 your choice, but IMO worth it, as you know how quickly the lounge chairs fill.
Things might have changed since your last stay. The current options for hours are 930-130p or 2-6. And the rates are $150 for half or $285 for 10-6.

Like Mommy said, it is a great option. But if you are expecting to do it at a busy time, it will fill up quickly. Last year I called right at 8am 60 days out, and after being on hold for 20 min, they were all booked out. There are only 6 cabanas at the DLH and either 6 or 8 at the Grand. For us, it was well worth the money.

Things might have changed since your last stay. The current options for hours are 930-130p or 2-6. And the rates are $150 for half or $285 for 10-6.

We have a half day at GCH reserved during the 2nd week of June, and were quoted 2:00 - 6:00.

We have done a cabana at the DLH and loved it, but are staying at the Grand this time. I hope DS(7) and his cousins (ages 7 and 10) will enjoy the GCH pool as much as DLH. I'm worried about it.

Is a cabana rental the only way to get shade at the pools?

Would it be worth the price in late September early October?

They definitely book quickly during the summer and warm fall, call asap. You can call the hotel or disney dining to book. September and October are usually still very hot making cabanas worthwhile. You can definitely book at DLH if you're staying at GCH and vice versa (I was just on the phone with them today and asked this!). I do think the OP's sons at that age would prefer to spend the time at the DLH pool with the water slides and bigger pools. Then do the GCH pool when you have just a short time to swim. There is seating in the shade (umbrellas and some trees) other than the cabanas, but it can be hard to come by when it's hot and crowded for sure. There's games and activities (singing, camp counselor style) on the pool decks at certain times - this could be just summer months? It's on the schedule the front desk gives you at check in.

P.S. The current half day times are 9:30-1:30 or 2:00-6:00 and it's $150. I don't remeber the full day times or price but I think half day is the way to go for sure!

wow...? my apologies, I guess prices have raised since our last stay in the fall of 2013, good to know, as we will be returning this September!! But still in favor of getting one.... are they pricey? yes. but when in Disney, what isn't?

We love getting one during the summer. We usually hit the parks in the morning, grab lunch, then get a cabana from 2-6, relax, then head back to the park for dinner! Makes for a relaxing day.

We rented a cabana last September at the GCH and loved it. My 2 boys (ages 7 and 4 at the time) loved it. Would they have loved the DLH pool - sure. They would have loved either. For me, I think it would be a hassle to be at a different hotel. I loved being so close to the room and not having to lug anything to a separate hotel. We got a half day and that was plenty for us. I thought it was worth the money and for us, it made us feel like VIPs kinda. They boys loved having a tv right there and a fridge. Wish we could afford to do it again!! I would in a heart beat!

We are doing this exact thing next month. Can't wait! I booked ours about a week ago. This is a first for us and are only doing it because we can't go into the park on a Saturday so we are having a pool day and I thought this would be a great way to experience both pools.

Has anyone ever heard of people maybe sharing or splitting time on a cabana rental? If so, how would that work? Are things that are ordered billed directly to the room of the person reserving, or can costs be shared/split?

It has always been billed to my room, but they can also take your credit card over the phone. There is a 6 person max on the cabanas. You could probably pay on your credit card and have the other person pay you cash. Last summer I made reservations for 2 cabanas so we'd be side by side (there were 10 of us) and the friends just gave me cash for their share.

Wheen people say book early they're not kidding. Today is my 60 days. I called at 7:05am. They were all already booked.

For the 60 day mark in terms of the cabanas, is that 60 days from the start of your room reservation (as with dining and fp+ reservations at WDW) even if you want the cabana on day 4 of your trip? Or 60 days from the actual date you are wanting to book the cabana? I was hoping to book one for the first Friday in December, which from the crowd calendars I've seen is supposed to be in the low-to-medium crowd level range. With several people saying they're all booked as soon as the phone line opens in the morning, I'm wondering if there's much of a shot at getting one...

The number listed on the GCH website for pricing and availability on the cabanas gives what I think is the front desk number at the hotel - is this the best way to get through? Or is it faster to go through the Disney Dining number?

I believe it's 60 days from the reservation day but I'm now wondering what time they're loaded into the system. Like I said in my earli post, I called just after 7am on day 60 and there was no availabilit but I called a couple days later like the CM suggested (she actually said call daily) and I got the full day reservation.

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

I called the number shown on the page about the cabanas and got through easily.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter