Stay on Ship V. Nassau Excursion

nezy

DIS Veteran
Our last Disney cruise was a member cruise 12 yrs ago and I just booked a short 3 day Feb, 2019 for my DD 21st birthday. It is just the 2 of us right now. My 2 sons may join us, they are both over 21. Since it is a short cruise I am debating whether or not to do an excursion on the Nassau day or just stay on ship and enjoy all that has to offer. We will be on the Dream,whcih I have never sailed on.
I am not a shopper so I am not interested in going to the straw markets or other touristy shops. I was thinking if we did an excursion of going to the blue lagoon. We are interested in snorkeling or swimming with dolphins maybe. (are there ever groupons for blue lagoon?)
I might be interested in the atlantis but not interested in the cost of the excursion. The last time 12 yrs ago, we booked for a night at the comfort suites and that worked at well. I am not sure of their rates for feb 2019, but might consider that again, if it is still an option, especially if my 2 sons join us.

Has anyone opted out of a day at Nassau and stayed on board?
on the other hand is there an excursion in Nassau that you think is a MUST DO?

Thank you for any input on your experiences.

We stayed on the ship. I've been to the Bahamas before and didn't feel the need to go back. The ship is nice and quiet during port days and there are no crowds at the pools or in the restaurants. If you are on a short cruise, I'd enjoy the ship as much as possible.

We stayed on the ship. I've been to the Bahamas before and didn't feel the need to go back. The ship is nice and quiet during port days and there are no crowds at the pools or in the restaurants. If you are on a short cruise, I'd enjoy the ship as much as possible.

Same for us. We stayed onboard and no regrets. When we go again I might do the British a colonial Hilton day package, which is purchased thru Hilton. You get to enjoy the beach and it’s very very close to ship so you don’t have to worry about ship taking off without you because of delays

We stay on the ship in Nassau and make it a sea day, but be aware, so do a lot of others.

Same for us. We stayed onboard and no regrets. When we go again I might do the British a colonial Hilton day package, which is purchased thru Hilton. You get to enjoy the beach and it’s very very close to ship so you don’t have to worry about ship taking off without you because of delays

Years ago like 2001, I walked over to the Hilton and sat on the beach. We had a view of the ships. We also had a view of something that looked like a sewer going into the water right where people were swimming. I did not go in the water, needless to say. If you do plan to go to the beach at the Hilton, the one right next to the docks, I would definitely make sure that is still not happening.

Food tour looks interesting, unfortunately we will be in Nassau on Sunday. No food tour on Sundays through True Bahamian Food Tours according to their website. Sigh.

Our first 4night cruise we went and did a submarine type excursion, which was okay, but no wow factor or anything. We have a quick walk along the market and popped into a few shops, but there was nothing exciting there. After that, any other cruise we go on, we stay on board when in Nassau. The ship is great to explore, and there's plenty of other things to do. :) CC is a great day to visit the pools on board - we popped back for lunch in Cabanas and found only the lifeguard hanging out in the pools!!!! :rotfl:

I believe most stay on the ship at Nassau but as a scuba diver I always go diving at Nassau. From my diving experience I have to admit some of the best diving I've done was at Nassau but obviously you need to be certified. The last time I went diving at Nassau it was just three of us and one of the divers was the ships security officer.

My wife and I have been to Nassau often enough that we now stay on board. We like to think of it as a sea day, just a little busier. Too many other people like to stay on board also!

Our last Disney cruise was a member cruise 12 yrs ago and I just booked a short 3 day Feb, 2019 for my DD 21st birthday. It is just the 2 of us right now. My 2 sons may join us, they are both over 21. Since it is a short cruise I am debating whether or not to do an excursion on the Nassau day or just stay on ship and enjoy all that has to offer. We will be on the Dream,whcih I have never sailed on.
I am not a shopper so I am not interested in going to the straw markets or other touristy shops. I was thinking if we did an excursion of going to the blue lagoon. We are interested in snorkeling or swimming with dolphins maybe. (are there ever groupons for blue lagoon?)
I might be interested in the atlantis but not interested in the cost of the excursion. The last time 12 yrs ago, we booked for a night at the comfort suites and that worked at well. I am not sure of their rates for feb 2019, but might consider that again, if it is still an option, especially if my 2 sons join us.

Has anyone opted out of a day at Nassau and stayed on board?
on the other hand is there an excursion in Nassau that you think is a MUST DO?

Thank you for any input on your experiences.

While I wouldn't swim with Dolphins (for ethical reasons), I would recommend Blue Lagoon. It's nice and fun. The boat ride to get there can be a little bit "bumpy" (but also fun!).

We've been to Nassau at least 5 times and we determined that we don't have to go back. If we every choose another cruise that goes to Nassau, we will stay on the ship and enjoy it.

I don't know how the snoreling tours ar ein nassau, but if that is something your family wants to do on their vacation, that is their time to do it. The area at Castaway isn't a 'world class' lagoon by any stretch of the imagination.

You could also you nassau as a Spa day :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter