Status of Pool Hopping

TandyR

DIS Veteran
What is the current status of pool hopping for DVC members? I know that we aren't going to be allowed to do it once BCV opens, but what about until then. We are going to be down in April and I would like to take my girls to Stormalong Bay now that they are old enough to really enjoy it, but we are staying at VWL would I be able to do that or not?

Thanks for the help.

22 days and counting. :bounce:

There has been no announcement that pool hopping as a program will cease once BCV opens. At that time, pool hopping to SAB will likely stop because there will be so many people using it (between BC, BCV, and YC). You will still be able to pool hop to other pools such as BWV, Poly, etc. Pool hopping may be suspended in April if you go during a busy Spring Break week. I do not think there has been an official announcement on this yet. Of course, even if pool hopping does cease to exist at some point in the future, you could always stay at BCV on points and use SAB then.

Why does everyone keep saying pool hopping to SAB will not be allowed once the bcv open?? I realize the villas 3will add more people, but the also added an additional pool at the villas. I question this because I believe with the VWL opened they did not stop us from hopping to WL pool..or did they?

We have never used this feature of our membership, but I keep seeing comments about this ever since the beach club villas were announced and wondered if anyone had any solid evidence of this other han sepculation.

My feeling is that SAB will be taken off the list. It is the pool that is most often "full" anyway so I think the addition of the BCV will put it at capacity a lot more. While there is a new pool, people staying at this hotel tend to use the main pool. I know when I have stayed at the YC the quite pools are always deserted and SAB is packed!

All pool hopping is suspended over the Easter break. You might want to check the website for exact dates.

ripleysmom is right. There are times when pool hopping is suspended during busy times. We pool hopped to SAB last week without any problems. But be sure to call to resort just before you go, because if the pool is at capacity, you won't get in.

What web site do you go to in order to find out if Pool Hopping has beem suspended?

Thanks for the help everone. :)

Go to the members site, and check the "Member News".

No one answered the question as to why pool hopping would be suspended to Stormalong Bay.

The times I go there is always plenty of available seating.

It is the most crowded of all pools. WL's pools isn't anything special, not a big pool hopping pool.

Think about it for a second. People from 2 resorts are there, plus villas, plus the locals that go there illegially. As far as it being not crowded when you were there, it could have just been an off time.:bounce:

Originally posted by mooses41
..... As far as it being not crowded when you were there, it could have just been an off time.:bounce:

I think that is the point. If SAB isn't crowded, then why not continue to allow DVC members to pool hop to that pool?

There are already provisions in place to suspend the priviledge during the times the pool is likely to be at capacity. IMHO, when BCV opens, there may be more times that pool hopping needs to be suspended than there are now, but I doubt that it needs to be completely eliminated. JMHO. YMMV.

I have been going to WDW since the 80's. I have been pool hopping long before it was called pool hopping :) . When was the last time anyone was asked for ID to enter a pool. I have been asked once in 25 years. We will be there this Spring Break and will likely pool hop, just as we did last spring break, and last Christmas (both times with pool hopping 'suspended'). Don't know if I'm just a rule breaker or what.... It isn't worth the effort (read money) it would take to try and stop hopping. They would have to pay to have someone monitor the pools.

I recomend if you are there duing one of the suspended times, just go and act like you belong.

The current rule as to pool hopping is that it is usually prohibited during certain holiday times, such as Easter. As to the rest of the year, you are supposed to call in advance on the given day to check if you can get in because they can prevent you from doing so if the pool is at or near capacity. There has been no announcement on doing away with pool hopping to SAB. I doubt doing away with it is something that needs to even be considered as long as the rules are as stated, i.e., you can go only when it is not overcrowded to begin with.

Originally posted by TandyR
What web site do you go to in order to find out if Pool Hopping has beem suspended?
While Disney does "pre-announce" (on the DVC members site) pool hopping closing during anticipated peak periods, it is important to know that they reserve the right to close any pool for poolhopping at any time if they feel it has reached its peak capacity.

So it is a very good idea to call ahead to the resort you will be pool hopping to and confirm that the pool is available for pool hopping that day.

dougmatt...I hope you haven't changed this into a "rule breaking" debate. :(

Originally posted by TandyR
While Disney does "pre-announce" (on the DVC members site) pool hopping closing during anticipated peak periods, it is important to know that they reserve the right to close any pool for poolhopping at any time if they feel it has reached its peak capacity.

So it is a very good idea to call ahead to the resort you will be pool hopping to and confirm that the pool is available for pool hopping that day.

dougmatt...I hope you haven't changed this thread into a "rule breaking" debate. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter