Staterooms directly across from other staterooms. Does it matter?

CB__Florida

Earning My Ears
I did search, but I couldn’t find an answer.
Is there a general consensus about booking a varandah room directly across the hall from an inside room? Would it be much more quiet if your door faced a wall?
We’re cruising Alaska on the wonder in July 2022.

I did search, but I couldn’t find an answer.
Is there a general consensus about booking a varandah room directly across the hall from an inside room? Would it be much more quiet if your door faced a wall?
We’re cruising Alaska on the wonder in July 2022.
I find no difference. Doors are just as noise-cancelling as a wall.

FYI, the deck plans online don't show where crew access doors are located (not cabins where cm's are staying, but the access doors such as for housekeeping carts, etc.). We've found that staying across from these doors are much louder than staying across from other guests. So, although you might book a cabin that appears to face a wall, in reality it might not.

Totally agree with all of the above. We have absolutely no difference if our room was across the hall from a wall or other cabins. So much depends on the noise level of guests above or to either side of you. The most meticulously picked out cabin could be right next to people who don't know what inside voices are LOL.

Some cabins are under public decks which you may hear chairs moving, etc.

MJ

Totally agree with all of the above. We have absolutely no difference if our room was across the hall from a wall or other cabins. So much depends on the noise level of guests above or to either side of you. The most meticulously picked out cabin could be right next to people who don't know what inside voices are LOL.

Some cabins are under public decks which you may hear chairs moving, etc.

MJ

Very true- and same here. One time we did have a cabin across from us that was part of a group of cabins of families all traveling together. The cabin across from us seemed to be where everyone gathered- and as there were many of them, it was mostly outside their door. That made it noisy and hard to come and go sometimes. So if I can, I try and pick a cabin with nothing across from it. But as stated above, we have had scrapping chairs over our heads, screaming kids next door and loud voices. All part of it. I bring ear plugs. It can be annoying or you can move past and just enjoy your vacation. What I wouldn't give to hear those scrapping chairs over my head right now :( I miss cruising...

I have learned to beware of what appears to be a blank or gray area on a ship plan. In my humble opinion, it’s really safest to be above, under, across from, and next to other cabins.

We have been across from other cabins that were quiet and ones that were loud. We have also been across from a “blank space” that ended up being a crew stairwell/door that at times was very loud.

The bottom line is that you never really know in advance what will or won't be loud. Crew areas & laundry nearby might be loud, or might not. Other guestrooms nearby might be quiet, or they might be terribly loud (here's looking at you, our drunken crazy screaming domestic violence neighbors on the Fantasy who ruined my night's sleep on New Year's while I had to finally get security to settle you down...) It's luck of the draw and I've had experiences all over the map in this regard. Research your specific stateroom & neighboring staterooms and unless you see a pattern of complaints for a specific area, go ahead and stay where you want to stay.

Last edited:
In general, I avoid

Above entertainment venues
Empty spaces on deck plans - above, below, beside, across from
Rooms near the front on upper decks (where hallways look short) - officer rooms with a door separating them from the passengers
very close to laundry room

On our very first cruise, our Secret Porthole room, Wonder 5522, was across from “nothing.” A door seemed to be in near-constant use by the room stewards. The last night was for luggage collection and staging.

I have not had issues when near elevator/stair bays. That has always been a pleasant surprise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter