Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker discussion thread (*** now contains spoilers ***)

Status
Not open for further replies.
However I stand by my prediction:
Star Wars 9: The Rise of Skywalker will GROSS less than $1 billion *worldwide*
After hearing the spoilers and seeing the results of Terminator: Dark Fate I feel very confident in my prediction.
$1 billion after the first week? Month? Weekend?

Hey, @DVCcurious - I'd call it a spoiler! Some of us don't look at stuff like that - especially to avoid spoilers! Please be considerate.

Also, how could anyone "walk out" of test screenings when the final cut was jsut completed? I'm not buying it.

Hey, @DVCcurious - I'd call it a spoiler! Some of us don't look at stuff like that - especially to avoid spoilers! Please be considerate.

Also, how could anyone "walk out" of test screenings when the final cut was jsut completed? I'm not buying it.
They ran a screening of most scenes from the movie. It was not a final cut. Studios always test screen the major plot points and leave out the filler so a 2 hour movie gets a 45 minute test screening. Google “test screenings of movies” to learn how it’s done.

OverlordDVD on YouTube has the details. MAJOR SPOILERS in that video!

But maybe you’re right. Maybe Disney will release the movie WITHOUT having done any test screenings. Maybe the reshoots were done just for fun and NOT as a result of the test screenings. Yep, sounds plausible

Last edited:
Because it’s not true.
Just like the Solo boycott was not true, right?

BTW Jar Jar Abrams mentioned The Fandom Menace in his Esquire interview.

But keep believing we’re a small insignificant minority.

We’ve gone through this before. I saw TFA 24 times in the theater. You saw it once. Disney kept you as a customer but lost me. You saw Solo once, I didn’t see it. So TFA sold 25 tickets between you and I for TFA and 1 ticket to Solo. That explains the drop in gross from 2.1 billion to 450 million. And that’s why I’ve been saying EP 9 will gross less than $1 billion. To hit that level a movie needs repeat viewers. I’m suggesting Star Wars drove away the repeat viewers and kept the one-time viewers. I saw Endgame 18 times. A lot of us nerds saw it double-digit times. It didn’t get to 2.7 billion because a whole bunch of people watched it once.

Or maybe Solo failed because it was too much too soon. Yeah, it was probably just Star Wars fatigue...

Last edited:
They ran a screening of most scenes from the movie. It was not a final cut. Studios always test screen the major plot points and leave out the filler so a 2 hour movie gets a 45 minute test screening. Google “test screenings of movies” to learn how it’s done.

But maybe you’re right. Maybe Disney will release the movie WITHOUT having done any test screenings. Maybe the reshoots were done just for fun and NOT as a result of the test screenings. Yep, sounds plausible

Look, believe what you want and I'm not saying it's not true, but you should still cover up that spoiler. Just because you are not interested in the movie doesn't mean others here aren't. Thanks, man. Take it easy.

You do realize how many movies go through reshoots these days right? Plenty of successful marvel movies did. Yes Star Wars has. Other studios as well. It’s not just a star wars thing and not necessarily a bad thing.

Taking things in a little different direction ....

I just finished reading Star Wars: Resistance Reborn and very much enjoyed it. Definitely not a "must read" or anything but does fill in some gaps about what happened after Last Jedi / before Rise of Skywalker. Also includes some characters from the Aftermath series (though, not necessarily to have read those books to enjoy this one).

Leia is featured pretty predominently, I'd say her and Poe are the two leads (at least among the movie characters)

Solo's under performance was due to a lot more than a "boycott." Even, "I" as huge Star Wars fan, was not excited for that movie, and I really enjoyed TLJ. Too much Star Wars too fast. I was burnt out, and a story about Han Solo, quite honestly bored me. I think he's a boring character.

Much like I am over many of the Marvel movies. I tend to wait for them to be released on blu ray, before seeing them, unless it's an Avengers movie. I just can't get overly excited about them, when they're coming out every four to five months.

On a related note, I feel like Doomcock/Overlord should be on the DIS "he-who-shall-not-be-named" list. That troll does not deserve the attention or clicks.

Boyega was great in that interview. I really hope they can fix some of the damage done to his character in TLJ in the upcoming movie.

I'm still not sure if he is a stormtrooper or a janitor.

Taking things in a little different direction ....

I just finished reading Star Wars: Resistance Reborn and very much enjoyed it. Definitely not a "must read" or anything but does fill in some gaps about what happened after Last Jedi / before Rise of Skywalker. Also includes some characters from the Aftermath series (though, not necessarily to have read those books to enjoy this one).

Leia is featured pretty predominently, I'd say her and Poe are the two leads (at least among the movie characters)

I have no idea how they are going to satisfactorily have Leia in this movie with footage from Force Awakens.

I wonder if the rumors of this being her feature movie were correct, if so, that makes it even more of a shame that she passed away. I guess I'll never get to see a Leia with a lightsaber moment :(

I have no idea how they are going to satisfactorily have Leia in this movie with footage from Force Awakens.

I wonder if the rumors of this being her feature movie were correct, if so, that makes it even more of a shame that she passed away. I guess I'll never get to see a Leia with a lightsaber moment :(

yeah, I know JJ seems to think that they were able to get a lot of moments out of that footage, but definitely can't be the same as if she was still alive to fully be there. I will say that reading the book almost made me wonder if some of the elements covered in it would have been in the movie had she not passed

Definitely makes me question the decision to have Luke "fade away" in TLJ and perhaps they should have called an audible after Carrie's passing and kept him alive for Episode IX ... but what's done is done

I think it can definitely still have some emotional moments and I am sure there will be some gut-punches but yeah, definitely not the same

@rteetz can we get some censoring of @DVCcurious spoilers? Some of us haven't looked at the song list for the soundtrack. Who would after the Qui Gon funeral song in the Phantom Menace soundtrack.

Heck, I try not to even look at toy releases before the movie comes out anymore.

If we can't be more careful with stuff like that, I'm out of this thread until release.

If I were worried about spoilers, I would stay way from discussion threads about the movie period. All it takes is one person.

@rteetz can we get some censoring of @DVCcurious spoilers? Some of us haven't looked at the song list for the soundtrack. Who would after the Qui Gon funeral song in the Phantom Menace soundtrack.

Heck, I try not to even look at toy releases before the movie comes out anymore.

If we can't be more careful with stuff like that, I'm out of this thread until release.

I don't disagree that anything that could be spoilers should be put into spoiler tags

In the mean time, you can use the "ignore" feature for posters that seem to be guilty of posting the potential spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter