Star Wars: Galactic Starship (resort experience) News

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't see them going full convention with this. Disney never has particularly liked visitors being in costume besides how immersive would a herd of Princess Leias and Darth Vaders be?

As for costumes for females (if allowed), I always loved some of the female Jedis. Those seem like big time fun. If I ever had the money and enough geekiness back in the day, I would love to have been Shaak Ti. I know that lots play her but she's cool.
I've read a lot of photo-heavy online reviews of Disney's Star Wars cruises and people go full cosplay on those. The passengers, not just the paid performers. Looks just like a con. (But sadly only one day out of the whole 5-7 day cruise.) We're on one of the upcoming Marvel cruises and the marketing tells us to dress up for that as well. So they seem to be relaxing when it's an outside franchise.

This would be a cruise ship in name only, and maybe appearance/layout. It will be a land based resort to resemble a spaceship.
If would have to be if you have views of space. Needs to be a space station or ship.
The difference between a real ship and a virtual one, is that you can leave for land any time, and not need to swim for it.

Yeah. Le sigh. I have no interest in a family friendly bar, but that's what they'll build. And that's fine. I've got 0 interest personally.
Wait, you expect the Cantina in the park to not be a family-friendly bar? Or do you mean one in the hotel? In the hotel, I'd expect it to be like Trader Sam's (21+) but in the park, I can't fathom it not being kid-friendly.

What if they booked the hotel by program, so that it's not a constant flow of people, but rather an event/program/story that you sign up for? Example: March 2-3 is the *insert Star Wars jargon here* Adventure. Description would say something along the lines of a story, so: "you're all chilling with the Resistance and everyone's a good guy...or are they? Find the spy and escape the First Order" (obviously not this, but you get the gist) and then the story would unfold from there. Everyone booked for those 2-3 days would take part in the same overarching story and the experience of staying in the hotel, though individual,would have the same story arc for everyone. You could customize an avatar, get a space name, get a costume & backstory, etc. Everyone would arrive and leave at the same time (like a cruise) and have some similar motivation, but eventually their own role to play in it.That way, it would convey the message of immersion rather than resort and you wouldn't have the people wanting to leave to go to other parks, people not wanting to be in costume, etc. So for those two days, all you would do is take part in this entire experience. They could rotate storylines, events, programs, etc. so that it wouldn't get stale after one visit and you could fully immerse and control that particular story. This method seems to make a lot more sense to me than overlapping stays and multiple storylines for different people, at least at first.

Wait, you expect the Cantina in the park to not be a family-friendly bar? Or do you mean one in the hotel? In the hotel, I'd expect it to be like Trader Sam's (21+) but in the park, I can't fathom it not being kid-friendly.

Sorry, that was what I was suggesting - Trader Sam's. I won't lie though, just as there are "family friendly" attractions and TONS of eateries, I wish there were ANY adults only type of places. Right now, there's V&A. But, it won't happen, too small of a niche. When people like me are pushed far enough, we'll stop going, and I'm not suggesting I'm doing that:)

What if they booked the hotel by program, so that it's not a constant flow of people, but rather an event/program/story that you sign up for? Example: March 2-3 is the *insert Star Wars jargon here* Adventure. Description would say something along the lines of a story, so: "you're all chilling with the Resistance and everyone's a good guy...or are they? Find the spy and escape the First Order" (obviously not this, but you get the gist) and then the story would unfold from there. /QUOTE]

This is the stuff dreams are made of.

I have been thinking about this a lot and I think that Disney, in their attempt to be more immersive, are going to alienate their core audience. The vast majority of people that will experience the land are not going to be knowledge or intent Star Wars fans. So being in an environment that is requiring you to pseudolarp is going to be to off putting to a decent amount of people. That brings me to this resort. The attraction that Disney is trying to create is actually going to turn part of the core fanbase off. People that larp are not going to be the most intent on doing an experience where they have very little control. Larpers spend years and years developing, refining and growing their characters. There is plenty of reports of larpers suffering depression, ptsd and grieve related trauma at the lose of a larp character. There is not going to be that level of emotions involvement to make this successful. On top of a clientele that will likely not be uniformly committed to the immersion. It just creates a venue of fake fakery. While upping the creep factor. Me thinks there is going to be a lot of backlash against the 'immersion' elements of this resort and galaxy's edge that Disney will have to tone things down to accommodate their actual clientele and not the one they think they are going to get.

Sorry, that was what I was suggesting - Trader Sam's. I won't lie though, just as there are "family friendly" attractions and TONS of eateries, I wish there were ANY adults only type of places. Right now, there's V&A. But, it won't happen, too small of a niche. When people like me are pushed far enough, we'll stop going, and I'm not suggesting I'm doing that:)
Jelly Rolls, Atlantic Dance Club I would think qualify. Didn't start going while most of PI was intact so I can only say based on what I've heard/read but I think that was their last real "adults" land. Some of the places over in the Springs are decent hang out but I will admit that even I took my 2 yr old to Raglan Road last week for some food and music early in the night.

I have been thinking about this a lot and I think that Disney, in their attempt to be more immersive, are going to alienate their core audience. The vast majority of people that will experience the land are not going to be knowledge or intent Star Wars fans. So being in an environment that is requiring you to pseudolarp is going to be to off putting to a decent amount of people. That brings me to this resort. The attraction that Disney is trying to create is actually going to turn part of the core fanbase off. People that larp are not going to be the most intent on doing an experience where they have very little control. Larpers spend years and years developing, refining and growing their characters. There is plenty of reports of larpers suffering depression, ptsd and grieve related trauma at the lose of a larp character. There is not going to be that level of emotions involvement to make this successful. On top of a clientele that will likely not be uniformly committed to the immersion. It just creates a venue of fake fakery. While upping the creep factor. Me thinks there is going to be a lot of backlash against the 'immersion' elements of this resort and galaxy's edge that Disney will have to tone things down to accommodate their actual clientele and not the one they think they are going to get.

The land is not going to be an immersive experience, anymore than Pandora is. If you watched Avatar a ton, you'd get more out of the land, but it's not a pre-req, just as it won't be for SWL.

The resort is a total OTHER issue and I'm guessing you've never played an RPG...

The land is not going to be an immersive experience, anymore than Pandora is. If you watched Avatar a ton, you'd get more out of the land, but it's not a pre-req, just as it won't be for SWL.

The resort is a total OTHER issue and I'm guessing you've never played an RPG...

Nope, your magic band is going to be extra trackable within the land and CM will be able to tell if you did well on one of the attractions etc.

I don't know, I think the public (even the "core" audience) will really like this if Disney plays their cards right. Think of things like Escape Rooms-they are HUGE right now. Not full on acting, but immersive, interactive, and short enough to keep peoples' attentions, give them incentive, and ultimately get them to attend. Video games are a huge industry-that's all some form of role playing. Even virtual reality is on the rise. I think it's hard to compare this concept to anything else, but I think if Disney finds the right balance of immersion and comfort zone, they'll have a groundbreaking idea on their hands. Granted, it'll have to be simultaneously accessible enough to casual fans and detailed enough for superfans (maybe an option given), but I think they could do it. They have arguably the biggest & most recognizable IP available, the most talented people working for them, and the most recognition in the vacation world as people who know what they're doing. If anyone can pull off something this different, it's Disney.

How will Disney families and Star Wars nerds intermix? That would be a crazy challenge.

How will Disney families and Star Wars nerds intermix? That would be a crazy challenge.

Possibly, but there could be different options of experience that they could even charge for, or you could make your knowledge of the universe clear when you sign up. Also, a lot of times the details and references that are "hidden" will be obvious to the big fans, but unnoticeable to the average guest. They do it on tons of their rides and in their movies. I think they've done a pretty good job of this with some of their Marvel movies. They reference the MCU, but keep it entertaining and straightforward enough to where you don't HAVE to know everything to know what's happening. I even think it would still be successful if they didn't even try to market to families and went all out "Star Wars Nerd".

Its funny that I'm the only person I know who loves both - I know LOADS of SW fans, and then people who enjoy WDW parks, especially when I'm leading and keeping them lubricated...the pro Disney and pro LFL folks should have a rumble (thinking West Side Story now) to settle things once and for all - like a dance off or cosplay off. I'd have to decide which costume to bring; it'd Sophie's Choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!