Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge News - Updated 2/28/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
So.... I was coming here to ask if we had an approximate of when SWGE was going to open because I think I want to take the family to WDW over Rosh Hashanah next year (Sept 29- Oct 1) and DHS is on my list of parks to visit to see TSL since it wasn't open when we were last there. I DO NOT want to deal with the SWGE crowds. Should I plan to go somewhere else? Really the only reason I want to go is for a MNSSHP and TSL.
This is a weird question but if you're someone who doesn't care about GE, should you be concerned about the crowds for other attractions when it opens? I feel like it's going to be a full day affair for people so if you're someone who wants to see TSL instead, that should be fine?

This is a weird question but if you're someone who doesn't care about GE, should you be concerned about the crowds for other attractions when it opens? I feel like it's going to be a full day affair for people so if you're someone who wants to see TSL instead, that should be fine?
I think the overall concern is the whole park will be packed due to the draw of SW:GE, so everything will be packed as folks wait to get into the SW area. So I am thinking once it opens, TSL and other rides will also be swamped as well. One reason many here and other sites feels the Park needs more attractions to spread folks out

So.... I was coming here to ask if we had an approximate of when SWGE was going to open because I think I want to take the family to WDW over Rosh Hashanah next year (Sept 29- Oct 1) and DHS is on my list of parks to visit to see TSL since it wasn't open when we were last there. I DO NOT want to deal with the SWGE crowds. Should I plan to go somewhere else? Really the only reason I want to go is for a MNSSHP and TSL.

I doubt it would be open that early (I am expecting after just after Halloween for extremely limited previews at BEST) BUT I would also wait to book anything because there should be some huge discounts since WDW knows that MOST people are waiting for SWGE opening.

Judging by what I've heard about internal Disney crowd projections. Expect the entire park to have significant lines for some time. There are concerns that the land's capacity may not be sufficient for over a year, which would cause all the overflow to go to the rest of the park. I was told that Disney is expecting 6-8 hour lines to get into the land and on one of the rides a year after opening. Personally that seems crazy especially compared to other recent land openings (Toy Story didn't even manage that for a full day). Even assuming that projection is crazy, there will most definitely be increased lines everywhere. People will go for Star Wars then continue to see the rest of the park and other parks.

Judging by what I've heard about internal Disney crowd projections. Expect the entire park to have significant lines for some time. There are concerns that the land's capacity may not be sufficient for over a year, which would cause all the overflow to go to the rest of the park. I was told that Disney is expecting 6-8 hour lines to get into the land and on one of the rides a year after opening. Personally that seems crazy especially compared to other recent land openings (Toy Story didn't even manage that for a full day). Even assuming that projection is crazy, there will most definitely be increased lines everywhere. People will go for Star Wars then continue to see the rest of the park and other parks.

Any word if the plan then is for people to just wait in line for 6-8 hours or are they planning some sort of "return time" for getting into the land?

TBH I'm just expecting "Harry Potter but worse". No idea what to expect beyond that and if Disney figures out how to manage this better than Universal, kudos to them.

I just feel like a big part of the land is getting to explore the back alleys and interact with the CMs there who are in character - and if you can't even move because of the crowds it will be such a lesser experience so I'd rather then limit the # of people in there and give people like 1/2 hour time slots to return in to get in line so they can go off and do other things / spend $ rather than just stand in line for 8 hours

I just feel like a big part of the land is getting to explore the back alleys and interact with the CMs there who are in character - and if you can't even move because of the crowds it will be such a lesser experience so I'd rather then limit the # of people in there and give people like 1/2 hour time slots to return in to get in line so they can go off and do other things / spend $ rather than just stand in line for 8 hours

Yeah, I agree. The other problem you could see would be the park closing to capacity even though the other rides might be seeing minimal wait simply due to all the people standing in line for SW:GE. If you have (my numbers are purely for illustration, I have no idea of actual park capacity) a capacity of 40,000 people total and 25,000 of them are there for SW:GE, the remaining 15,000 will have very low waits on the other rides but the park will still be "full" of ONE.BIG.SCARY.LINE.

Am I way off base (other than my numbers, as I said)?

Yeah, I agree. The other problem you could see would be the park closing to capacity even though the other rides might be seeing minimal wait simply due to all the people standing in line for SW:GE. If you have (my numbers are purely for illustration, I have no idea of actual park capacity) a capacity of 40,000 people total and 25,000 of them are there for SW:GE, the remaining 15,000 will have very low waits on the other rides but the park will still be "full" of ONE.BIG.SCARY.LINE.

They could either run SW:GE as fastpass only (no standby line) or close the stand by line when it gets too long.

I think MGM's capacity was about 75,000. So I imagine Studios will return to about the same amount once Star Wars opens. I wouldn't say you are way off in any manner. But after Pandora, lines all over Animal Kingdom went up, because more were going than before. Studios will get the same effect. People will go for Star Wars and stay for everything else. And with a massive line you'll find people seeking those waits that aren't ridiculous.

I think MGM's capacity was about 75,000. So I imagine Studios will return to about the same amount once Star Wars opens. I wouldn't say you are way off in any manner. But after Pandora, lines all over Animal Kingdom went up, because more were going than before. Studios will get the same effect. People will go for Star Wars and stay for everything else. And with a massive line you'll find people seeking those waits that aren't ridiculous.

I guess I'm having fun amusing myself at the idea of an empty Sunset Blvd while the line stretching to GE is 10 people wide from both entrances to the land all the way to the tap stiles. :rotfl2::bored:

These line predictions are terrifying!

Last time I was there, I was struck by Disney's forethought here- not only is Grand Avenue itself a staging area to get into GE, but I imagine this planning goes all the way back to refurbing Gonzo's bathrooms.

Really want to get back to WDW before Star Wars opens. It's fun to see it quiet for the last time for a while.

These line predictions are terrifying!

Last time I was there, I was struck by Disney's forethought here- not only is Grand Avenue itself a staging area to get into GE, but I imagine this planning goes all the way back to refurbing Gonzo's bathrooms.

Really want to get back to WDW before Star Wars opens. It's fun to see it quiet for the last time for a while.
I know someone who works in the park and she held a personal vigil before toy story land opened praying for sanity, knowing her park would never be the same crowd wise

The date is interesting but I highly doubt they would announce such a thing at a smaller Comic Con let alone the fact that this one opens after Disneyland.

… and there are no Disney panels showing on the schedule for that Comic Con.

Last edited:
That's pretty much where I stand. Of all places why Rhode Island Comic Con, and why no date for the one opening first?
Well come to think about it that’s like the perfect disguise, no one would suspect it at all at the smallest state’s own comic con. Huge missed opportunity

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter