Star Trek Fans: Discovery?

BrianL

Doom Buggy Driver
Did you watch the pilot last night? What did you think? Will you subscribe to CBS to watch more? Just curious as to what the Trekkies thought?

I like the show, but hate that it's on their subscription service.

I get my CBS through direct tv....I don't really want to subscribe to your channel for one show.

I'd be ok if it were on Hulu or Netflix as they have lots of different shows I can't get elsewhere....but can't see getting their channel just to watch the new ST.

Maybe once the season is over I'll do the free trial and try to binge all the episodes during my free week.

I'm so glad that I'm already a subscriber. I was going to cancel my subscription but the show was so good, I have to keep it..thanks Big Brother!

I liked it, but I will not subscribe. If it was on CBS i would totally watch it, but heck no I am not paying extra

So, my thoughts after only watching the part shown on CBS is that I was not impressed. I was certainly not impressed enough to subscribe to anything, and I doubt I'd watch it long even if it were free to watch on TV. Burnham is the most unlikable character! Most of them were, excepting the Captain (Michelle Yeoh), and once -SPOILERS AHEAD- Burnham mutinied against her in the stupidest way for the stupidest reasons I lost any connection I could have made with the character. This was not a seasoned and professional Starfleet crew, but a whiny committee who will complain if they don't get their way. On top of that, the show was joyless, humorless, dour, and bellicose. These are not the principles of Star Trek, and not really entertaining television. Those Klingon scenes just dragged on and on, and is it just me or did the actors have marbles in their mouths (no I wouldn't understand Klingon anyway, but it was very grating).

So, overall, you can tell I was extremely disappointed. This after defending the show earlier this weekend to some friends who had already written it off. I said it looked good and would check it out. Well, maybe it's for the best because it would have had to be really good to get me past the paywall, which I think they are handling horribly. You can't even binge the episodes. I know they are trying something new here, but the CBS app needs a lot more content to make it worthwhile.

It looks like The Orville is my new Star Trek.

I signed up before Sunday, and I'll watch the whole season, and will cancel when it's over. I don't mind paying. At $6.99/month for 4 new Trek episodes a month, that's $1.75 per episode. I find it hard to quibble with that price, and I don't see it as being much different than paying extra to watch "Game of Thrones" or "Twin Peaks" or "Westworld" on a premium channel.

That said, I was terribly disappointed in the first episode, and kind of shocked by the great reviews. I thought the dialogue was stilted, overacting was rampant, and the plot was just...absurd. The first officer leaves the bridge when battle is imminent to have a chat with her old teacher? Are you KIDDING me? A rookie Ensign? Maybe. Someone who's accomplished enough to make first officer on a Federation starship? Not remotely believable.

Don't like the dark sets, don't like the constant use of lens flare. I did like Michelle Yeoh's captain, and Saru.

To be fair, it sounds like most critics wrote their glowing reviews after seeing the first two episodes, so I'm hoping the second episode is so great it redeems the mess they made of the first one.

I signed up before Sunday, and I'll watch the whole season, and will cancel when it's over. I don't mind paying. At $6.99/month for 4 new Trek episodes a month, that's $1.75 per episode. I find it hard to quibble with that price, and I don't see it as being much different than paying extra to watch "Game of Thrones" or "Twin Peaks" or "Westworld" on a premium channel.

That said, I was terribly disappointed in the first episode, and kind of shocked by the great reviews. I thought the dialogue was stilted, overacting was rampant, and the plot was just...absurd. The first officer leaves the bridge when battle is imminent to have a chat with her old teacher? Are you KIDDING me? A rookie Ensign? Maybe. Someone who's accomplished enough to make first officer on a Federation starship? Not remotely believable.

Don't like the dark sets, don't like the constant use of lens flare. I did like Michelle Yeoh's captain, and Saru.

To be fair, it sounds like most critics wrote their glowing reviews after seeing the first two episodes, so I'm hoping the second episode is so great it redeems the mess they made of the first one.

I know. I hear that second half of the pilot is a bit better, but I'm just not sure I care. I agree with all the flaws you listed, plus my previous post. I want to like it, but that first hour did not inspire any reason to.

I like the show, but hate that it's on their subscription service.

I get my CBS through direct tv....I don't really want to subscribe to your channel for one show.

I'd be ok if it were on Hulu or Netflix as they have lots of different shows I can't get elsewhere....but can't see getting their channel just to watch the new ST.

Maybe once the season is over I'll do the free trial and try to binge all the episodes during my free week.
I actually posed the question to my husband (who loves Star Trek) if that would be possible for people to do that-sign up for the 1 week trial once the season is over to watch it.

But I did wonder if CBS will put a block or restriction on that as that's a good way to watch it. It's the only show that we would need to do/want to do streaming as the other shows we can DVR.

We're still on the fence of subscribing or attempting to wait it out.

For me the difference is I don't pay just for HBO or just for Starz/Encore. Those (as well as other premium channels with the exclusion of EPIX) come included in our cable package.

So, my thoughts after only watching the part shown on CBS is that I was not impressed. I was certainly not impressed enough to subscribe to anything, and I doubt I'd watch it long even if it were free to watch on TV. Burnham is the most unlikable character! Most of them were, excepting the Captain (Michelle Yeoh), and once -SPOILERS AHEAD- Burnham mutinied against her in the stupidest way for the stupidest reasons I lost any connection I could have made with the character. This was not a seasoned and professional Starfleet crew, but a whiny committee who will complain if they don't get their way. On top of that, the show was joyless, humorless, dour, and bellicose. These are not the principles of Star Trek, and not really entertaining television. Those Klingon scenes just dragged on and on, and is it just me or did the actors have marbles in their mouths (no I wouldn't understand Klingon anyway, but it was very grating).

So, overall, you can tell I was extremely disappointed. This after defending the show earlier this weekend to some friends who had already written it off. I said it looked good and would check it out. Well, maybe it's for the best because it would have had to be really good to get me past the paywall, which I think they are handling horribly. You can't even binge the episodes. I know they are trying something new here, but the CBS app needs a lot more content to make it worthwhile.

It looks like The Orville is my new Star Trek.

Agreed, I hated it. The minute the intro music started I knew that they didn't 'get' Star Trek, and it only went down from there. The crew was unbelievably annoying, and don't even get me started on the 'Klingons', ugh. It was painful to watch, which was so disappointing.

Put me in the didn't care for it camp. If it came on CBS's regular over the air channel I'd give it another shot, but theirs no way I'm paying money to watch more of what I saw in the first episode for most of the reasons already listed.

Some of my problems.
1. How did Sir Robin ever rise to become part of a bridge crew? Perhaps we should run away more captain.
2. The Mutiny was just not believable.
3. That the Vulcans preemptively destroyed Klingon ships and achieved peace isn't all that easy to believe. And if it did, it took some time. A Vulcan should be able to reason out that the ship attacking, even if it succeeded, wasn't going to achieve peace right away. Further, it wouldn't have worked anyway given that we now know a Klingon fleet was on the way.
4. That particular race of Klingons was subservient during the time of the show and the race in charge wasn't nearly so in to Klingon religion. This is incongruent with past series. Boy those Klingons get uglier and uglier with every iteration don't they?

Haven't seen it yet but I'm planning on subscribing to CBS so I can check it out. I don't have cable and there are other shows on there we'll watch, too.

Did you watch the pilot last night? What did you think? Will you subscribe to CBS to watch more? Just curious as to what the Trekkies thought?

DH said he'd like to see more before forming an opinion (he's a Trekkie), but we are not subscribing. We pay enough to cable and Netflix; if they want us to see their show, they can put it on one of those. This is just a money grab, and I'm tired of people putting their hands in my pockets.

I never cared for Star Trek growing up, but this new show is awesome and I am already addicted!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter