Stampers please help me!!!!!

Spinning

<font color=deeppink>Give me a chunk of something
I love stamps, or I should say I love to collect them. But when I actually try to use them it is a big mess!
I have this really cool bat stamp. Fits perfect in the small CM circle cutter. So I thought kewl will look like bats flying in the moon. I decided to emboss it.
So I pull out my versa mark stamp it then shake the black powder over it. Take off any extra that I see...
heat it up and I have all these tiny black dots! How do I get a crisp stamp and emboss it?!?!?

I use a tiny paintbrush (000) to brush off any excess embossing powder. That way I can get "up close & personal" to the stamped image. Simply tapping the CS like they demo (at least on DIY Scrapbooking) never works for me. It takes a steady hand, though. Sounds awfully cute - be sure to post pix when you get it, okay? :teeth:

Are the little black dots within the stamped area? If so it could be that you don't have enough powder on, I sprinkle, press lightly, then tap and brush off. Or you could be heating for too long and the powder is clumping together.

Penny

You know, I didn't even think you might mean what Penny was talking about. I've had that happen too. Sometimes I'll take my embossing pen & go over the image again where there are gaps in it. (I don't re-stamp because I'm never accurate :rolleyes: ) Then I just add more powder & re-heat. Other times, though, I've liked the way it looks & leave it alone. It all depends on the image I think.

I tried the fine pointed paint brush and still had problems...I think it is just me! I must have very oily skin or something too because the powder also grabs my finger prints. Looks like a crime sence! LOL!
I also wonder if it is because I am using bazzill the textured side? I will have to try it on the other side...

I too use the paint brush and a little tapping to get the exess off with out rubbing the image. I would never restamp the same place as it is almost impossible to match up the image exactly.

If you are talking about the embossing powder that clings outside of your embossed image, try using an embossing bag. I don't know what it is actually called but it is a little muslin bag about an inch and a half by about 3 inches and is filled with some sort of powdery stuff. You just rub that over your paper before you stamp and the embossing powder won't stick to your paper, just your stamped image. On dark paper the powder will make it look as if the paper has lightened but it will eventually come off.

wow and where do i find something like that? sounds like I must have it!

are you supposed to use your versamark ink? I thought you are supposed to use special embossing ink. That's what I do.

Oh shoot! Chessie, I totally forgot about that! On DIY Scrapbooking (I think) someone even used a dryer sheet to reduce the static cling on the paper (just rubbed it over the page before stamping). I've never done it because I'm allergic to the perfumes or something they use in them.

And Nank - I thought that's what Versamark ink was for. :confused3 I use another brand 'cause it's what I already had, but I'd heard Versamark was the best to use.

I have good luck with an embossing bag, but I do sometimes run into trouble on dark papers. The Versamark watermark ink embosses well. The colored inks, versafine, aren't meant for embossing. They are quick dry. A small paint brush is also handy. If your image is not completely covered with embossing powder, your pad may be dry- try reinking it. I hope this helps.

Linda

Thanks everyone.
The versa mark works great. Holds the ink. That isn't my problem. I think the problem is bazzil paper. The powder gets into the little groves and is tough to get out or even see!
I will try the dryer sheet. It is very staticy in this house right now.
I ended up stamping it, embossing it and then cut it out. Still looks cute I think!

I got my embossing bag at my LSS. "Stampin up" also sells one. For detail stamps it is a real must.

Nank, You can use your versa mark or any pigment ink for embossing. I keep clear embossing power on hand instead of buying embossing powder in every color. The look is a bit different but you still get the color.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter