St. Thomas/St. John ???'s

captainhook

Earning My Ears
I went to the website vinow.com, but I can't seem to figure out what the taxi fare would be from the cruise dock to Red Hook to catch the ferry. We will have 2 adults and 2 young kids. Anybody know?

Also, I would like any input on which beach we should go to on St. John. I am looking at Caneel Bay or Cinnamon Bay. The boys are 8 and 5, just want to play on the beach, but we do want some refreshments available (lunch) and a bathroom would be nice. I am trying to avoid the crowds at Trunk Bay. Shade available would be a plus, too! Thanks for any help! :sunny:

Taxi $9 adult one way $5 kids to Redhook on 4/5/06. (It was $8 last year.)

HOWEVER, we took a taxi to Coki Beach on St. Thomas and it had everything you are looking for. It had good food, snorkel gear for rent, shade, GREAT BEACH FOR KIDS AND GREAT GREAT SNORKELING!!! I don't know how to post pictures. I have a lot from there if someone can tell me how to post a few. They are amazing if I do say so myself. I left this post and went looking on the dis board for a great pix someone posted last year which sold me. BUT I could not find it. ANYWAY My 2 cents!!

You'd save a ton of time and a little $$ doing this.

DH and I are going to St.T June 3-10 and plan to go over to St. J and the BVIs several times, but for a quick day trip, the next time we take the family on an Eastern cruise I think we'll do Coki Beach again.

Thanks so much for the info -- Coki Beach does sound fabulous. We may have to check that out. :thumbsup2

The taxi fares to get to the ferry for St. John (and the taxi fare ON St. John) really add up fast! And we will pay for the ferry, too. Is Coki Beach free ($$) to enter? How crowded was it on the day that the Magic is there?

I wish I could help with posting pictures, but I have never done it either. Please do if you can figure it out! Thanks! :)

Mom24Princesses said:
Taxi $9 adult one way $5 kids to Redhook on 4/5/06. (It was $8 last year.)

HOWEVER, we took a taxi to Coki Beach on St. Thomas and it had everything you are looking for. It had good food, snorkel gear for rent, shade, GREAT BEACH FOR KIDS AND GREAT GREAT SNORKELING!!! I don't know how to post pictures. I have a lot from there if someone can tell me how to post a few. They are amazing if I do say so myself. I left this post and went looking on the dis board for a great pix someone posted last year which sold me. BUT I could not find it. ANYWAY My 2 cents!!

You'd save a ton of time and a little $$ doing this.

DH and I are going to St.T June 3-10 and plan to go over to St. J and the BVIs several times, but for a quick day trip, the next time we take the family on an Eastern cruise I think we'll do Coki Beach again.

Posting pictures is easy. They need to be uploaded to a open website (photobucket.com or your own), then all you have to do is use the square bracket '[' type in 'img', the other square bracket ']' the website of the photo (incuding the http:// and the .jpg or.jpeg extension) and then square bracket '/img' and then the closed square bracket.HTH

We have also been to Coki Beach and really enjoyed it. You might want to visit Coral World which is next to Coki Beach. We really had a great time there. You can rent a locker and change into your bathing suits, get your handstamped go to the beach, then return and shower before leaving.

Teri

captainhook said:
Thanks so much for the info -- Coki Beach does sound fabulous. We may have to check that out. :thumbsup2

The taxi fares to get to the ferry for St. John (and the taxi fare ON St. John) really add up fast! And we will pay for the ferry, too. Is Coki Beach free ($$) to enter? How crowded was it on the day that the Magic is there?

I wish I could help with posting pictures, but I have never done it either. Please do if you can figure it out! Thanks! :)

Well it is a little crowded BUT not nearly as Castaway Cay :rotfl2:
There is no fee for the beach. We did go to Coral World first.
www.coralworldvi.com

They have good restrooms/showers and restruants. We used them and got a locker. Went back after beach and cleaned up. Ride over took 15-20 min/ Ride back took 25-30 (different direction)

I say this to say I don't know how the restrooms are at Coki Beach. The locals selling their wears/services were nicer here than St. Maarten.

Here goes my try at attaching a pix. If it works I'll add a few more...
Large

ANY IDEAS

I pressed the little image button (yellow mountain sun) pasted the web info and pressed the little image button (yellow mountain sun) a second time.

I am not that computer stupid!!!! :rotfl:

apsBurt-R5-E101.jpg

This was taken when we were in Coral World looking East I am pretty sure that's St. John
(a cloud came up BUT NOTHING HAPPENED...I LOVE THE TROPICS

[/IMG]
apsBurt-R5-E104.jpg

There is a rock then coral reef that seperates Coral World and the beach. You can swim all around there. This was standing in Coral World BUT near that dividing line looking across at Thatch Cay.

I am sooo proud of myself :goodvibes

Mom24princesses,

You did a great job posting the pictures of Coki Beach! :bounce:

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

It looks really nice, and certainly would save us time over going to St. John. We can always make a last minute decision on that day, too, since it's not an excursion through the ship.

Thanks again -- we leave in 5 days!!! :banana:

We just got back and had gone to Coki Beach as well. Taxi fare was $9.00 per person; it would have been $10.00 a head to go to Red Hook. Gas prices are really high in St. T, I have to imagine that's the reason for the fare increase.

Coki Beach was small but neat. They gave the kids dog bones to hold down to the fish, and the fish ate them right out of their hands!

Some of our DIS friends had gone over to St. John and said it was fabulous.

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful time. Be aware that the taxi drivers charge the same per person - no kind of discount even if the person is a child.

Lisa

Lisa and I were at Coki at the same time. I also want to point out that there was no child discount for us either. My daughter, one, was no charge, though.

I have to ask, how old are your young children?

The reason I ask is that there is a large drop off at Coki that creates a big undertow and big crashes of the waves right at the beach. After you get beyond this it is very smooth and no big waves, but that first part is a doosy with wee ones. I had to hold onto my four year old very hard to keep him upright and not get swept under. We both got swept up at one point and I was scared and I am a former lifeguard. I think it was the worst where we camped at and a little better further down the beach.

We loved this beach, though. It was as gorgeous as any of the beaches over on St. John and you had beautiful views of St. John from it. I picked it because of this. We also loved Coral World and felt it was a great place to go to. We were not bothered at all by anyone and when we were it was welcomed.

St. John is a long trek and is definately a not to be missed place in my mind, but again, you have to get up very early to do it and do emmigration. You can have a lot of fun right at Coki or Saphire Beach and not have to take a Ferry. Just be aware of the fact that Coki is not a place to leave very young children froliking in the surf alone.

castlegazer,

Thanks for your input on coki beach. Honestly, when I first read Lisa's post, about "dog bones", I pictured REAL dog bones. I couldn't believe it! How disgusting! :rotfl2:

I am still leaning toward going to St. John because it seems quieter and more remote. My boys are 8 and 5 and the 5 year old does not swim yet, so that surf really scares me. Do you have any insight on whether we would like Caneel Bay or Cinnamon Bay better in St. John?

It sounds like the taxi price will not be much different between the two places. But, we will have to pay for the ferry and taxi in St. John. Thanks for your help! :teeth:

We were just in St. Thomas a few weeks ago. We went to Trunk Bay and I have to say it was the most beautiful place I have ever been. We are thinking about going back next year and renting a house on St. John.

The taxi fare to Red Hook is $10.00 per person. If you don't mind walking a little bit you can walk about 10 minutes down the road and catch a public "taxi" for $2.00 per person.

The ferry from Red Hook to St. John was around $12.00 for the four of us. Taxi from Red Hook to Trunk Bay was around $30.00.

So as you can see it was fairly expensive going to and from but I would highly recommend it.

captainhook said:
I went to the website vinow.com, but I can't seem to figure out what the taxi fare would be from the cruise dock to Red Hook to catch the ferry. We will have 2 adults and 2 young kids. Anybody know?

Also, I would like any input on which beach we should go to on St. John. I am looking at Caneel Bay or Cinnamon Bay. The boys are 8 and 5, just want to play on the beach, but we do want some refreshments available (lunch) and a bathroom would be nice. I am trying to avoid the crowds at Trunk Bay. Shade available would be a plus, too! Thanks for any help! :sunny:

Hey there Captain Hook! We're on your cruise, too, with a 4 year old. I booked an excursion through shoretrips.com that's supposed to be perfect for young kids.

here's the link if you'd like to take a look. See you onboard!

http://www.shoretrips.com/common/search4.asp?rcode=CAR&lcode=STT&tcode=004138

captainhook said:
castlegazer,

Thanks for your input on coki beach. Honestly, when I first read Lisa's post, about "dog bones", I pictured REAL dog bones. I couldn't believe it! How disgusting! :rotfl2:

I am still leaning toward going to St. John because it seems quieter and more remote. My boys are 8 and 5 and the 5 year old does not swim yet, so that surf really scares me. Do you have any insight on whether we would like Caneel Bay or Cinnamon Bay better in St. John?

It sounds like the taxi price will not be much different between the two places. But, we will have to pay for the ferry and taxi in St. John. Thanks for your help! :teeth:

Oh either one. Both are amazing. We spent time at Honeymoon Beach and Caneel Bay and these were wonderful and the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen. I may lean towards Cinnamon and Honeymoon over Caneel simply because Caneel Bay is home to a very exclusive resort that was a former Rockefeller home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter