St. Thomas-Beach/Itinerary Help

DakotaDisneyLover

Mouseketeer
I am having a very hard time deciding which beach to go to on St. Thomas. We want to go to a great beach to snorkle and lay on the beach and relax. Which beach would the best? I read so much about Magen's, but it sounds like the snorkeling isn't the best? We were going to do a 'tour' of sorts; a couple of hours shopping, a couple of hours touring the island, and then a couple of hours at the beach. We want more beach time, so I think we will just get a taxi at the port and head straight to the beach. When we have had enough, take a taxi back to the port, shop around a bit and call it a day. This is our first trip to St. Thomas, and I am so excited, as I have always wanted to visit. Suggestions/comments please? Thanks!

We did Magen's Beach in St. Thomas, it was fine, though not spectacular. We did a tour that included a drive around the island, visit to a rum factory, and then beach time (different cruise line). IMO, you might be better off going to St. John's island from STT. Stunningly beautiful beaches, located in a national park. There might be an excursion you can book, but you can also get to St. John's on your own, there's a water taxi and taxis from where you land in St. John's to the beaches. There's a really long thread on Cruise Critic.com about "St. John's and how to go," or something like that, under the excursions forum, which has perfect tips for how to do it yourself. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1196166 Next time we're in St. Thomas, we will be heading over to St. John's for the lovely beaches.

We did Magen's Beach in St. Thomas, it was fine, though not spectacular. We did a tour that included a drive around the island, visit to a rum factory, and then beach time (different cruise line). IMO, you might be better off going to St. John's island from STT. Stunningly beautiful beaches, located in a national park. There might be an excursion you can book, but you can also get to St. John's on your own, there's a water taxi and taxis from where you land in St. John's to the beaches. There's a really long thread on Cruise Critic.com about "St. John's and how to go," or something like that, under the excursions forum, which has perfect tips for how to do it yourself. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1196166 Next time we're in St. Thomas, we will be heading over to St. John's for the lovely beaches.

Thanks so much! Do you think if we headed right over to St. John we would be missing anything on St. Thomas since we have never been there? Heading over to St. John on our own makes me a little nervous, but sounds fun at the same time! We are in port from 8-4:30 so we would have plenty of time.

It really depends on your interests, and those of your traveling companions. When we visited St. Thomas, we did do a tour that went to some historic colonial homes, which were interesting, but not "don't miss" level of interesting. The most memorable thing about St. Thomas for us was looking down from a hill over the island, bay, and ocean. We got some nice pictures. Beaches were nothing special. We are primarily interested in the beach, and the ones on St. John far exceed those on St. Thomas. St. John's is mostly national park, so you don't get the historic homes and bar/shopping scene that's available on St. Thomas, though if you're interested in hiking, there are some plantation ruins on St. John. St. John's has better snorkeling. St. John's is quieter. I guess it really depends on what you're looking for - to me, there's really no "can't miss" aspects of St. Thomas, whereas I'd definitely do a land-based vacation on St. John, but your priorities may be different.

It really depends on your interests, and those of your traveling companions. When we visited St. Thomas, we did do a tour that went to some historic colonial homes, which were interesting, but not "don't miss" level of interesting. The most memorable thing about St. Thomas for us was looking down from a hill over the island, bay, and ocean. We got some nice pictures. Beaches were nothing special. We are primarily interested in the beach, and the ones on St. John far exceed those on St. Thomas. St. John's is mostly national park, so you don't get the historic homes and bar/shopping scene that's available on St. Thomas, though if you're interested in hiking, there are some plantation ruins on St. John. St. John's has better snorkeling. St. John's is quieter. I guess it really depends on what you're looking for - to me, there's really no "can't miss" aspects of St. Thomas, whereas I'd definitely do a land-based vacation on St. John, but your priorities may be different.

Thanks. It sounds like we have the same interests. My DH and 12 y.o. DS are not much for shopping, we are more into beaches, relaxing, and snorkeling. I would love to spend a week on St. John in the future, so it would be great to check out the island before hand.

We honestly live Coki Beach. I have been multiple times and never felt a concern for safety. When you get away from town there are some run down areas in St. Thomas. Coki is adjacent to Coral World. Coral World has lockers that you can rent and a pretty neat facility. Bit is not a large aquarium but it is neat. Also, because Coki is so close to Coral World the snorkeling is great there. There are several large fish and coral to see off the beach. There are lounge chairs to rent, food, and a bar tender.

When we did St. John's, we were sailing RCCL, so I haven't looked at what Disney excursions might be available. With our cruise, we were going with my parents, who were leery of going completely DIY to get to St. John's, so our compromise was to pick a ship-sponsored excursion that provided the transportation to and from St. John's by boat (I think it was something like "shopping and time on your own" or something like that), and then we ditched the excursion and caught a cab to the beach (Trunk Bay). You might consider something like that. But really, it's easy to get there totally on your own. Trunk Bay has an underwater snorkeling trail that's cool. And, seriously, look at this beach: http://blueflagusvi.org/2011/10/st-john-trunk-bay/

One thing to keep in mind is that you'll need cash for the ferry, taxis, and entrance to the national park to get to the beach - I don't think you could pay with credit/debit at any point. Trunk has a snack bar, I think Cinnamon does as well, and believe you need cash for those as well, though I'm not certain on that.

manateesmom said:
When we did St. John's, we were sailing RCCL, so I haven't looked at what Disney excursions might be available. With our cruise, we were going with my parents, who were leery of going completely DIY to get to St. John's, so our compromise was to pick a ship-sponsored excursion that provided the transportation to and from St. John's by boat (I think it was something like "shopping and time on your own" or something like that), and then we ditched the excursion and caught a cab to the beach (Trunk Bay). You might consider something like that. But really, it's easy to get there totally on your own. Trunk Bay has an underwater snorkeling trail that's cool. And, seriously, look at this beach: http://blueflagusvi.org/2011/10/st-john-trunk-bay/

One thing to keep in mind is that you'll need cash for the ferry, taxis, and entrance to the national park to get to the beach - I don't think you could pay with credit/debit at any point. Trunk has a snack bar, I think Cinnamon does as well, and believe you need cash for those as well, though I'm not certain on that.

Just be prepared for Trunk to get crowded. It is a beautiful beach but it is where many tourists go, so it gets really crowded. Look at all the beaches on St. John. They are beautiful, but there really isn't anything wrong with Coki either..

melwill530 said:
Just be prepared for Trunk to get crowded. It is a beautiful beach but it is where many tourists go, so it gets really crowded. Look at all the beaches on St. John. They are beautiful, but there really isn't anything wrong with Coki either..

Oh on if you search, don't search St. John's. that will not give you St. John, USVI. I think it gives you somewhere in New Foundland.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter