Ssr ?

Splashboat

Always looking for cheap airfare
I just called to book a studio, standard view at WL and got a special offer for SSR, 1 bedroom villa with quick serve dining (4 adults) for November - only $700 more. I had to decide while I was on the phone or lose the offer so I took it (we stayed in a 1 bedroom villa at another resort last year and loved it but didn't want to put out the extra $$ this year unless we get a discount). Please tell me some quick facts about SSR. I read that you can walk to DTD. Is there a map somewhere of the path? I assume 1 bedroom villas are disbursed throughout the resort - is that accurate? Does anyone know anything about a new theme pool? Where it will be? When will it open? Any pictures or information? I appreciate any feedback. I am hoping I made the right choice.

You can find more information on the DVC board, since it is a DVC property.

I stayed there two years ago on the 4/3 deal. The food court leaves a bit to be desired, but the restaurant is awesome.

The spa location with the new zero entry pool is very nice (I am not sure if the pool is completed).

The location to DTD is great; especially depending what section you are in, you can walk. It is also a second mode of transportation back, because you can return from a resort in the evening, use the DTD hub and then walk over to the main building of SSR and take the bus to your section. Easier resort to resort travel.

Good choice.

we stayed there last year in a one bedroom and loved it. we were in the paddock section but we were closer to congress park for the pool and bus stop. the main pool was great and never too crowded. at night we used the congress park pool which was pretty much empty. as the pp stated the food was not great but i have had worse. the room itself was very nice and plenty of room to relax in. dw and i walked to dtd twice and it was nothing more then about a 15 minute walk overall. there is a path to walk on behind the buildings and follows the water. the bus system was good as well. we never really had a wait to get on the bus to any of the parks. my only real knock was when leaving the parks it seemed like we had long waits for the bus. either way we would stay here again.

I stayed at SSR for the first time last month. I LOVE SSR! The grounds are beautiful. I love the resort feel, rather than the hotel look. It's like a little community.
Will you have a car?

No car. That's the reason we keep coming back to Disney, we park at the airport and don't drive again until we arrive back at the airport - it's great for the marriage :)

Actually the quick serve location at SSR (its called Artist Palette) is widely thought to be one of the better cs locations for a deluxe level resort (DVC or otherwise). Now compared to a moderate food court, its not comparable but compared to the quick serve options at other deluxe's and dvc's, it holds it own and then some. I love their flatbread pizzas, salads, sandwiches and bakery items.

SSR is large and spread out but its a lovely resort. The new main pool will be in the Paddock section and is scheduled to open in late June. That will give SSR two main pools, a second pool that is considered a feature pool with splash jets and cannons as well as its own pool bar and drink refill (but no slide) and then a quiet pool (Congress Park area) that is just your basic pool and hot tub. Although that pool in the Congress Park area does have incredible views of DTD.

The existing main pool called the Springs is wonderful, we have swam and many pools at WDW and its one of our favorites. Great slide, nice big hot tub, lots of seating, lifeguards play games, they show movies several nights a week and the Community Hall there is excellent. The second main pool at the Paddock also looks neat from the drawings I have seen, if you check out the SSR Lovers Thread on the DVC Planning board, you should be able to find out some more on that one. But according to wdwinfo, its set to open June 30th.

You can walk to DTD along the river, the closest section to DTD is Congress Park with the second closest being the Paddock. There is also a boat to take you to DTD and the busses run there as well. The walk from our last room in Congress Park to the Marketplace area of DTD was about 7 minutes. Some areas of the resort could be more like 15-20 minutes walking.

I think you made a beyond wise choice, SSR is a lovely resort but also the difference between a one bedroom and a studio is huge.

I would request Congress Park, you will be a short walk to DTD, in particular Wolfgang Puck Express and Earl of Sandwich which are two excellent places to use those counter serve credits!

No car. That's the reason we keep coming back to Disney, we park at the airport and don't drive again until we arrive back at the airport - it's great for the marriage :)

Exactly! We only had a car one of our six SSR stays and found their busses to be very good and as Missytara said, if you like to dine at other resorts the easy and quick access to DTD and its bus stops is very nice.

Several times we waked out of Epcot's World Showcase, hung out on the Boardwalk, then took the Boardwalk bus to DTD then walked to our resort. Kind of wacky sounding but it was actually really convenient and a nice way to enjoy the Boardwalk area but without the usual hassle of returning to another resort.

Thanks so much for the replies. I had never really checked out this resort before so I was nervous after I booked. I had just accepted the deal because it sounded too good to pass up. Now I am feeling much better about the opportunity to try something new!

I've stayed here 5 times plus a 6th vacation in the Treehouse Villas.

It's a very nice resort. One bedrooms are spread throughout. If it's important to be close to the counter service area, I suggest requesting Grandstand or the Springs. Springs is closest to the main area but it's also the last bus stop and the bus could be crowded by the time it stops there. Grandstand is the first stop.

I'm not sure when they are closing the main pool (at Springs) for refurb but I know it's coming after the Paddock themed pool is completed this summer.

Congress Park (4th bus stop) is the closest section to DTD but you can walk from all sections; it just takes longer. We've done it. It's about 20 minutes from Grandstand; the furthest section.

Paddock (3rd bus stop) will have a counter service location in addition to the new themed pool but I'm sure the food will be limited. Artist's Pallette is pretty limited too for a counter service. The food is good, choices are limited. And the layout and how you pay is a real pain.

Enjoy your stay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter