SSR to the Shuttle Launch!!!

dis-happy

DIS Veteran
Just got back from a quick r/t from SSR (where we are staying this week) to Titusville to watch the shuttle launch. It was wonderful....clear skies. My ds with the binoculars said he could see all 3 parts of the rocket as well as the Endeavor when it rolled. So worth the drive!! Left a little after 4 pm (after spending the afternoon pool hopping at the Poly), arrrived a little after 5 pm, parked in our favorite spot, took a cat nap, stepped onto the beach 15 minutes prior to launch, then high tailed it out of there as quick as possible, home by 7. For you space nuts planning ahead for next November, all I can say is: get the Sunpass from Publix. Works great, saves a ton of time.

You have experienced a dream that my DH and I have had for years. We had VIP tickets for one of the scrubbed dates. Someday.... Glad you had a good view and sounds like you didn't even have to spend too much time getting there and waiting. Congrats!

Was that today's Endeavor launch?

yes...and it's yet to be determined if it holds any impact for re-entry.
Crew will perform laser analysis to decide if in orbit repairs are needed....but this may have been visiable by lay observers.

Any debris visible from the ground that hit the Shuttle would cause catastrophic damage.

We did this in May for the Atlantis launch - also one of my dreams to do. Where did you watch from? We were near the Space Park and had a nice view across the river. Here's one of my many pictures.......

p593898912-4.jpg

Oh, how exciting! We have been sooooo hoping to catch a launch one of these days. We spend so much time in Florida, but are never there at quite the right time! I'm so glad you had a great experience! Our turn will happen sometime!

After 2 scrubbed launches on other trips to FL, we caught the 5/31/08 shuttle launch. It was exciting for us, and a life goal for DH. It's worth the trip IMO.

I take it the Sunpass from Publix is for the toll booths? :confused3 We're hoping to make the Nov launch.

I take it the Sunpass from Publix is for the toll booths? :confused3 We're hoping to make the Nov launch.

Yes it is. I had heard about it but decided to not take the time to stop and pick it up. I wish I had!!!!!! The toll booths were the only real difficult thing about the trip

Glad someone saw it. At the end our June trip, we extended a day to spend the night in Cocoa to see a 4:50 am lift off. Never happened. I of course found out it was not taking off at 3:30 am. Maybe next time.

:cool1: So glad you got to see it! Like PP have said - seeing the shuttle take off has been a dream for us. Almost got to see it last fall, but alas the flight was scrubbed.

So glad you were able to see it!

We saw the launch in Nov. 08 and it was the most amazing thing I've ever seen. I was with my parents and son and it was one of my Dad's life goals as well.

Curious as to how you got back to SSR so quickly. It took us 4 1/2 hours to get back and we left right away. An hour just to get out of Titusville. We heard from the rental car place that others had taken 6-8 hours to get back...

Just got back from a quick r/t from SSR (where we are staying this week) to Titusville to watch the shuttle launch. It was wonderful....clear skies. My ds with the binoculars said he could see all 3 parts of the rocket as well as the Endeavor when it rolled. So worth the drive!! Left a little after 4 pm (after spending the afternoon pool hopping at the Poly), arrrived a little after 5 pm, parked in our favorite spot, took a cat nap, stepped onto the beach 15 minutes prior to launch, then high tailed it out of there as quick as possible, home by 7. For you space nuts planning ahead for next November, all I can say is: get the Sunpass from Publix. Works great, saves a ton of time.

Wow EXCELLENT !!!! What roads in / out did you take from Titusville ?

Please share :flower3: !!!

In April 2000 we drove up I95 from WPB as far as Melbourne ( heard it was good viewing from there ) and no sooner did we park, launch was scrubbed :sad1: It's been a dream of DH & I to have the kids see it so hopefully we will be in Florida someday soon to do so.

:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter