Sprint-Tri advice, please!

mgsmom

DIS Veteran
I am doing a sprint triathlon in June (.5 swim, 16 mi bike, 5K) and am looking to get some decent equipment. I would like this triathlon to be an annual event for me. I did this triathlon a couple of years ago, and was totally clueless. My $50 Walmart mountain bike did me NO favors and I did not like running in the one-piece Speedo that I usually swim in.
SO, having said all that - let me know what recommendations you have for:

1. A bike - not too expensive. This will be the only time of year I use it for racing - otherwise, it's just for piddling around the neighborhood.

2. A two-piece swim suit that has enough support (36C) to run in. I'll just throw some running shorts over my bottoms. I have a long torso, so 2-pieces are much more comfortable for me. Doesn't necessarily need to be a "tri" suit - my rear-end didn't get that sore for only 16 miles.

Thanks in advance for your advice!!!
:surfweb:

I cannot help with your second request. As to the first, you might want to look at a site called bikesdirect.com. They have a number of entry level road bikes that would suit your needs.

on the WISH board. They have started up a 2010 Triathlon discussion. There are a number of experienced triathletes who frequent there.

As far as bike, it doesn't cost anything to go into your local bike shop (LBS) and take a look. For your purposes, I would start looking at a hybrid but do consider a road bike. Road bikes do come in all shapes and sizes; some people get what I call a "plush" road bike.

Most specifically, the most important thing is to get a bike that fits. Sure, you could save a few bucks buying online, but it doesn't hurt to make friends with the wrench at your LBS. Trust me, I know this from my experience! 5 guys know me in the service department, and they all take care of me right away.

It's one thing to do the event annually. A lot of people get the bug and end up riding/running/swimming much more than they intended to. What you say about piddling around the neighborhood 6 months from now might be a 50+ road ride with the local cycling group. It can happen!

Being as Austin is a kinda/sorta big tri town there are specific tri shops in town. The easiest thing in regards to gear is to go in and tell them what you want. If you're not near a big city, it might be worth it to make the trek to one. What looks like it will fit on the internet might not when you get it in the mail.

Very few people will fit in a skinsuit; most triathletes I know, yes even the top AG'ers, will do a two piece.

Thanks for the input! Someone else said something about measuring for a bike - so I'll be sure I do that. Maybe I can even get measured and then find one on-sale online or something. I live near Charlotte, so I should be fine in finding a store.
I will check out the Triathlon Thread - I saw the 2009 one and it looked deserted, and didn't see the 2010 one.
Thank you!!!

I am also doing my first tri, also at the end of June - Iron Girl at Lake Lanier north of Atlanta.
I am getting an entry level Trek road bike - cost is about $650, and it is made for women.
I am wondering what to wear myself, as this will be my first tri too. I do not want to buy a tri-suit right now. I will check out the tri thread!
Good luck on your race!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter