Spring break - we're not in college anymore Toto - Feb 2018 TR

PR really liked the show. I had seen it before and I don't think anything has changed over the years. I wasn't super excited, but the stunts and the athleticism required still astound me!

I love the Indiana Jones show. It's a classic.

After leaving the stunt men and women, PR wanted to go to the frozen sing along. I told her absolutely, positively, no way are we doing that. 10 minutes later, we're listening to do you want to build a snowman and let it go. <Sigh>

Way to put your foot down!

Now it was time for our Star tour. I was hoping I would be the rebel spy so I could get the T-shirt. Alas, it was not to be. I am a rebel spy, just not officially rewarded for it.

I'm not sure a spy would go around advertising that fact.

I told her absolutely, positively, no way are we doing that. 10 minutes later, we're listening to Tale as old as time and be our guest.

Sensing a theme here...

Guess who didn't eat most of their dinner? Come on, guess...I know you can do it.

:sad2:

hs_fireworks.jpg

Nice shot there!

How many firsts were there? Closest - 3 points, Second closest - 2 points and 3rd closest - 1 point.
What were they? If you've been reading, you'll have a bunch. If you haven't been reading, I put you to sleep too, huh?
1 point for each correct.
Keep in mind, it could be restaurants, it could be rides, it could be snacks, it could be resorts, it could be buying a gift card from my mom (no, not counting that!)

Oh man, I don't have time to go back and review everything. Maybe 15 new things? I remember Dole Whips and the train tour for sure.

Finally found the name of the other show that's just before the SW fireworks show at HS...

Disney Movie Magic
It's 30 minutes before SW fireworks.

Info here: https://www.****************.com/ne...os-just-debuted-new-nighttime-show-no-warning

Ah! Put 'em on your own website. That'll work. :)
Yep...no more telling me it's too large to upload! So there! Take that DIS! ;)

I believe it's 30 per update.
Unless I go back and upload pictures I skipped over, I'm not sure I'll find out.

I'm sure that was it.
Ooooh...I need to get a new T-shirt made up...."I made Olaf cry"

You have been officially ripped off, then.
Ummmm, hello, I've been to Disney numerous times. Mark is @Captain_Oblivious. We need to rename you Captain_Obvious. :rotfl2:

Sorry. Yeah, that ride can do it. I won't normally ride it more than once. In a row I mean. I might ride it more than once a day, just not back to back.
I don't normally have issues with any rides...except when they're warm/hot...that will get me every time.

Not good. It's why they have cool air blasting right in your face on Mission Space.
That's why? I thought it was to freeze your face into freakish poses for the ride photos.

Hmmm.... Auto? ISO turned wayyyyyy up?
I use GIMP (kinda like photoshop, but free vs. $$$$$). I can reduce the quality of the jpg in addition to cropping the photo to reduce the size. I do this to get under the DIS 2MB limit. I think I may have reduced the quality too far. Remember, I bought the good camera AFTER the trip, so ISO for that camera was like speaking swahili or greek.

So... you were dreaming of Ariel here, weren't you?
I can neither confirm nor deny I was dreaming of Ariel...or Belle...or Jasmine...or all 3.

:laughing:

Wait... maybe I shouldn't laugh.... Did her arms turn into wings???? :scared:
I think she's finding feathers in her bed and she doesn't have a feather pillow.

I have seen those. ::yes::
They're really cool

Nor have I.
I am a SW fan, but I prefer the older ones and older characters. There was a little of that, but more of the newer characters. This, like HEA is a combination of projections and fireworks. The fireworks here are not as good. I'm not sure if it's because they don't have a good place to launch from or if it's because they don't have to go above a castle or just money savings. The projections here are better, because it's a big building with much fewer curves and details, so it's much easier to tell what the projections are of. I liked this slightly better than HEA because since the projections were easily decipherable, it way easier to watch. (maybe because I'm a big SW fan also, but I would say more Darth and Yoda and less Kylo Ren and Jen?)

I have bought that. Once... and was just too full from being on free DDP to eat it. It went in the trash a couple days later, untouched. I just couldn't.
Blasphemy! Heritic! :lmao:

I love the Indiana Jones show. It's a classic.
I like the one with the cars better (not sure if it still exists, but didn't make it back there to see)

Way to put your foot down!
When dad speaks, PR listens.....said noone in my house ever.

I'm not sure a spy would go around advertising that fact.
Sometimes the best cover is no cover at all...removes suspicion.

Sensing a theme here...
I know...I was too.

Nice shot there!
Thanks. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.
Wait a minute, I'm a nut...so how does one explain a squirrel finding a nut which manages to take a good picture? Hmmm, that ones gonna keep me awake for at least 30 seconds.

Oh man, I don't have time to go back and review everything. Maybe 15 new things? I remember Dole Whips and the train tour for sure.
Sorry, wasn't thinking about that as a possibility. Whoops!

Finally found the name of the other show that's just before the SW fireworks show at HS...

Disney Movie Magic
It's 30 minutes before SW fireworks.
Ah.
Link didn't work, though.
Against the rules. :)

Yep...no more telling me it's too large to upload! So there! Take that DIS! ;)

Now you just gotta work on your web links. :lmao:

Unless I go back and upload pictures I skipped over, I'm not sure I'll find out.

You'll find out... on the next one. ;)

Ooooh...I need to get a new T-shirt made up...."I made Olaf cry"

You should! :laughing:

Ummmm, hello, I've been to Disney numerous times. Mark is @Captain_Oblivious. We need to rename you Captain_Obvious. :rotfl2:

I don't normally have issues with any rides...except when they're warm/hot...that will get me every time.

Yep. I believe that.

That's why? I thought it was to freeze your face into freakish poses for the ride photos.

Are there ride photos on MS? There aren't right?

I use GIMP (kinda like photoshop, but free vs. $$$$$). I can reduce the quality of the jpg in addition to cropping the photo to reduce the size. I do this to get under the DIS 2MB limit. I think I may have reduced the quality too far. Remember, I bought the good camera AFTER the trip, so ISO for that camera was like speaking swahili or greek.

Ah yes. Got it.

I can neither confirm nor deny I was dreaming of Ariel...or Belle...or Jasmine...or all 3.

At the same time.

Atta boy.

I think she's finding feathers in her bed and she doesn't have a feather pillow.

I am a SW fan, but I prefer the older ones and older characters. There was a little of that, but more of the newer characters. This, like HEA is a combination of projections and fireworks. The fireworks here are not as good. I'm not sure if it's because they don't have a good place to launch from or if it's because they don't have to go above a castle or just money savings. The projections here are better, because it's a big building with much fewer curves and details, so it's much easier to tell what the projections are of. I liked this slightly better than HEA because since the projections were easily decipherable, it way easier to watch. (maybe because I'm a big SW fan also, but I would say more Darth and Yoda and less Kylo Ren and Jen?)

Got it. Thanks for the info.

Blasphemy! Heritic! :lmao:

:laughing: Well, after two days of sitting on the table in a warm room.... cream cheese.... yeah, just, no.

Now you just gotta work on your web links. :lmao:
I thought I had to work on the size of the pictures. Are you talking about the link I tried to put for the other show at HS or are you saying my picture links are somehow bad?

Are there ride photos on MS? There aren't right?
Maybe there are. Maybe someone got a really incriminating picture of pkondz on MS. I can neither confirm nor deny I have such a picture. Oooh, gives me an idea.

:laughing: Well, after two days of sitting on the table in a warm room.... cream cheese.... yeah, just, no.
Okay, I guess in that case you're forgiven.

I thought I had to work on the size of the pictures. Are you talking about the link I tried to put for the other show at HS or are you saying my picture links are somehow bad?

The link to the website. DIS doesn’t allow posting links to other sites.

Maybe there are. Maybe someone got a really incriminating picture of pkondz on MS. I can neither confirm nor deny I have such a picture. Oooh, gives me an idea.

Crap!
I could’ve sworn the bribe was enough to get it deleted!

Er... I don’t know what you’re talking about.

It appears to have worked...just have to use the link button. Can't just type it in directly.

It appears to have worked...just have to use the link button. Can't just type it in directly.
Yes and no. Here's the guidelines:

10. LINKS TO OTHER SITES
You are welcome to link to your web site on our boards provided that a) you are not promoting a commercial service or for-profit venture, b) you don't post primarily to promote your site and c) that you place a return link on the home page of your web site. Before posting a link to another site, we ask that you please first check to see if the same information is available on
www.wdwinfo.com.

Links in your signature to other websites must be in plain text, as in this example: (
www.myexample.com). Any bolding or embellishment will be considered advertising, and is not permitted.

Shooting the moon is actually very difficult.
Here's a tip:
You're already using a tripod. That's a must. Also use either a remote trigger or the camera's timer. (2 or 3 second timer. Not sure what yours has.) Both of those are necessary to prevent as much camera shake as possible.
Set your ISO to 100, your shutter speed to 1/125 and your aperture to f/11. The moon is bright. Even if the rest of the sky is dark.

Try those settings and bracket on either side. (i.e. adjust your shutter speed to over and under expose)
Just don't shoot much slower than about 1/100. The moon is moving at 2,300mph so any slow shutter speeds will show motion blurring.
Hope that helps!

I've done it before too. Tough for sure, but pk is correct; these are the settings, or very nearly so, that I used as well. I used my 2 second timer, tripod, and did a bunch of post-processing. It can be done. :)

After leaving the stunt men and women, PR wanted to go to the frozen sing along. I told her absolutely, positively, no way are we doing that. 10 minutes later, we're listening to do you want to build a snowman and let it go.

:rotfl2::lmao:

After we said our goodbyes to Olaf. I think he was crying, but it's possible my charming, warm personality just made him melt a bit. I think he was crying. Remember, I'm grumpy - don't make it worse.

Olaf makes the movie. I do think it's a nice switch up to highlight sibling love, but it sure got old quick!

I remember the last time I got sick or queasy at da world was at a "ride" at DisneyQuest (oh I miss DQ...really enjoyed it)

Sadly, I never made it in there. Kinda wished I had way back when....

Guess who didn't eat most of their dinner? Come on, guess...I know you can do it.

Hmmm.... lemme take a wild stab in the dark and say PR. ;)

we sauntered

tsk, tsk.

This meant we had a few hours before we needed to head north. We got our free breakfast - read previous note - in retrospect we should have went to Chick-fil-a again. We went back to my mom's house. I was tempted to go to DTD or go to one of the parks for just a few hours, but decided we would rather see mom/grandma again. Shortly after we got there, my mom starts planning lunch. Remember the GCBGCS (Great Cracker Barrel Gift Card Saga)? Well, it came back again. As soon as she mentioned lunch, she mentioned she had a $25 gift card for Cracker Barrel. Yes, mom, I know. B was there and C was going to join us and neither wanted to drive the OPPOSITE direction to go to Cracker Barrel. She kept on mentioning it, so finally, I'd had enough. Mom, give me the gift card...here's $40. Yep, it was worth it to me to spend an additional $15 to stop the GCBGCS. :rotfl2:

The GCBGCS! I do remember!

but, in the end, it's a sweet way to help your mom out. Win-win, eh?

How many firsts were there? Closest - 3 points, Second closest - 2 points and 3rd closest - 1 point.
What were they? If you've been reading, you'll have a bunch. If you haven't been reading, I put you to sleep too, huh?
1 point for each correct.
Keep in mind, it could be restaurants, it could be rides, it could be snacks, it could be resorts, it could be buying a gift card from my mom (no, not counting that!)

I have no idea. I"m going to guess 25, but it'd take me hours to go back and hunt. The DIS is going dark in an hour and I have 10 more threads to get to. If I"m still able after 3:00 when it comes back up, I'll try. :)

Thanks to @pkondz, I tried the moon shot again. Better...
View attachment 319751

soooo much better! Nicely done!

Trip of FIRSTS. (or summary of firsts on this trip)

As I mentioned before, this was definitely a trip of firsts. Most of them good, some exceptional and some, well, not so much. These are all I can remember, well because I'm old and some of this is getting blurry in my mind. Wait, that may not be entirely correct because that would mean it was clear in my mind at some point.

Since the DIS has so graciously decided to stop notifications for me (and for others), I'm tagging the folks I know have been reading at one point or another so hopefully they'll get THAT notification. Thanks to @pkondz (aka Popcorn Kondz), @Steppesister, @Captain_Oblivious, @MeghanEmily , @ariane37 , @Terra Nova guy , @disneyAndi14, @cj9200 and @afwdwfan . If I missed anyone, sorry. Speaking of Andy, haven't seen him in a while so hopefully, it's just he's really busy.

Okay on to the list.

Beach Club Villas
Boardwalk Villas
AP - Yep, first time getting an annual pass
Ale & Compass
Cape May Cafe - Will be back
Nine Dragons - Nothing to write home about
DVC member club - It was okay, but I think would be better in the heat of summer as an oasis rest stop
Beverly
Dole Whip - Won't be the last
Dole Whip float - Won't be the last
Dole Whip cake - DEFINITELY won't be the last
Mickey head cinnamon roll
Tiffins - If you read my review, you know how much I enjoyed Tiffins and we're going again in September.
The Lion king
FOP
NRJ
ROL - It was meh for me, but PR liked it.
Wedway People Mover
Trains tour - Will do this again just because there was so much to try to take in. On the other hand, want to do the other tours first.
Beaches & Cream - Thankfully, I now know I can get a half instead of a full *OR* don't eat before hand
Yeehaa Bob - Had a blast and will see again. I'll just plan of getting there earlier and not go to the wrong boat dock.
Leaving before EMH - As I mentioned, this is a first I was not at all proud of
Resort shall not be named - Not Disney, but a first and a LAST (since not Disney and not good, not counting in the actual tally)
Meeting Olaf
Ariel's show at HS
karamel kuche - I think the sliced caramel apple will likely be a repeat event
Voices of liberty - As with Tiffins, I think this will be a must do for any future trips. Next time, I know where to sit so we're not looking at backs & butts.
SW fireworks
Disney Movie Magic
Clown pool at BWV
50s Prime time cafe
Not buying groceries and eating some meals in the room. Yep, first time we ate out or got something and brought it back to the room to eat the entire trip.

I'm not counting this in the list, but it was a first for me. First day where we watched more shows than rode rides at HS.
While we went on TSMM, ST, Tot and RnRC (3x), that's 4 rides.
We watched Indiana Jones, Ariel, Frozen, Beauty & the beast, fantasmic, Disney movie magic and SW fireworks = 7

Total of 29 new things or doing something we've not done before! I'm also not counting in that total the one I'm ashamed of or no groceries, because it was more so something we did differently than normal vs. what I'd consider a "first".

The good thing is I'm already making a list of things I want to be new the next time, but also things we will do again and again (VOL, Tiffins and Yehaa Bob). Some of the others are very likely repeat events or places, but not necessarily must dos.

And this is the final chapter and wraps up this TR. Please hold back your applause that it's over.

Wait, that may not be entirely correct because that would mean it was clear in my mind at some point.

:rolleyes1

Since the DIS has so graciously decided to stop notifications for me (and for others), I'm tagging the folks I know have been reading at one point or another so hopefully they'll get THAT notification.

This is what I do. It allows me to always know what threads have been posted to without notifications (which, apparently are unreliable.)
I open the DIS and navigate to "Watched Threads". It's at the top of the page, left hand side. If you don't see it, click the "Home" button. It'll show up underneath and a bit to the right of it. Bookmark that page.
Now, every time I want to open the DIS, I always go there. It shows me which of the threads I'm reading have new posts.

Dole Whip - Won't be the last
Dole Whip float - Won't be the last

I should hope not! :eek:

Dole Whip cake - DEFINITELY won't be the last
\

This one never appealed to me... but it's on my list now.

Mickey head cinnamon roll

Put this one on the list too. Actually, not quite... the other giant cinnamon roll at AK.

Beaches & Cream - Thankfully, I now know I can get a half instead of a full

::yes::

Resort shall not be named - Not Disney, but a first and a LAST

I would hope that'd be the last time.

Voices of liberty

I've had them on my list for a while now. Some day.

This is what I do. It allows me to always know what threads have been posted to without notifications (which, apparently are unreliable.)
I open the DIS and navigate to "Watched Threads". It's at the top of the page, left hand side. If you don't see it, click the "Home" button. It'll show up underneath and a bit to the right of it. Bookmark that page.
Now, every time I want to open the DIS, I always go there. It shows me which of the threads I'm reading have new posts.
Good suggestion...will start doing that because when I went to that page I saw 8 or so threads that have new updates <sigh>.

I should hope not! :eek:
Your hope is well founded and not to worry.

This one never appealed to me... but it's on my list now.
If you like cake & ice cream and knowing you already like dole whips, this is a wonderful pineapple flavored cake with the dole whip. It is oh soooo good.
[/quote]

Put this one on the list too. Actually, not quite... the other giant cinnamon roll at AK.
That's what I'm planning on the next trip. The one we got, while Mickey shaped, wasn't anything to write home (or rave about in a TR) about.

I would hope that'd be the last time.
I think I mentioned I gave them a very poor review when I got the automated "please tell us how we did" email. One of the managers sent me a followup email saying please let him know the next time I come back so he can personally make sure things are done well. I remember laughing when I got the email and thinking don't hold your breath waiting to hear from me.

I've had them on my list for a while now. Some day.
You won't regret it (well, if you at all appreciate good singing) when you do.

Good suggestion...will start doing that because when I went to that page I saw 8 or so threads that have new updates <sigh>.

Well... there is that. It can look.... rather intimidating.

If you like cake & ice cream and knowing you already like dole whips, this is a wonderful pineapple flavored cake with the dole whip. It is oh soooo good.

Actually... I don't typically like ice cream with cake. I love cake. I love ice cream.... but typically find the ice cream makes the cake soggy and the cake makes the ice cream... crumbly.
Nevertheless.... this I want to try.

That's what I'm planning on the next trip. The one we got, while Mickey shaped, wasn't anything to write home (or rave about in a TR) about.

This is what I have in my wish list:

AK giant cinnamon roll Creature Comforts*

** Side note. In looking up where this was, I found they also have huge cinnamon rolls (although not Mickey) at Kusafiri coffee shop. The mickey ones had almost a caramel drizzle. I like caramel, but not necessarily on cinnamon rolls. The ones at Kusafari look more cinnamon and less caramel. Next time!

Look familiar? :)

I think I mentioned I gave them a very poor review when I got the automated "please tell us how we did" email.

I'm shocked they'd even have the nerve to send that email.

One of the managers sent me a followup email saying please let him know the next time I come back so he can personally make sure things are done well. I remember laughing when I got the email and thinking don't hold your breath waiting to hear from me.

Well there's your problem! You didn't hold your breath!

You won't regret it (well, if you at all appreciate good singing) when you do.

I'd love to hear them. Maybe some day.

Well... there is that. It can look.... rather intimidating.
::yes::

Actually... I don't typically like ice cream with cake. I love cake. I love ice cream.... but typically find the ice cream makes the cake soggy and the cake makes the ice cream... crumbly.
Nevertheless.... this I want to try.
I like cake & ice cream together, but understand your point and as you saw, there are several things I don't like mixed although I like them separately.

This is what I have in my wish list:

AK giant cinnamon roll Creature Comforts*

** Side note. In looking up where this was, I found they also have huge cinnamon rolls (although not Mickey) at Kusafiri coffee shop. The mickey ones had almost a caramel drizzle. I like caramel, but not necessarily on cinnamon rolls. The ones at Kusafari look more cinnamon and less caramel. Next time!

Look familiar? :)
Yes. I was actually thinking of that when I responded. I'd recommend to change your wish list to Kusafiri. The one at Kusafiri looks better and the Mickey one wasn't that great and the one at Kusafiri is the the one @ariane37 said was really good. I got the wrong one and I will remedy that in September.

I'm shocked they'd even have the nerve to send that email.
It was one of the automated ones.

I'd love to hear them. Maybe some day.
I'm looking forward to hearing them again in 4 months.

Wow! That's a seriously impressive list! I've added a few to my must-try list thanks to you. Thanks so much for sharing your trip stories with us!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter