[Spring 2008] Tokyo Disneyland & DisneySea Trip Report

teamlouise

Mouseketeer
Time of Year: Spring/Early Summer
Travel Method: Busses & Trains
Accommodations: N/A, I was already living in town
Group Demographic:: Adult/College Kids
Disney Experience: Expert! ;}

I left Seattle to study abroad at Sophia University in Tokyo during my Sophomore year of college. Of course, the best part about the whole deal was the fact that I would be living only an hour away from Disneyland! Actually, as it turned out booze and karaoke took up most of my time so I only got to go to each park once -- but it was still AMAZING and I can't wait to go back. Enjoy!
---​
GETTING THERE & BASICS

tokyomonorailmural0.jpg

Getting to the Tokyo Disneyland Resort by train was easy enough. The first time, I actually spent the night at a friend's host family's house and we took the bus from her town -- but to be honest, we should have taken the train. We got lost taking the bus, we had to get up early to catch it, and I'm sure it was much slower than taking the train. Plus! It wasn't Disney themed!

The second time, I met a group of friends at Tokyo Station and we took the JR Keiyo line (210円) from there to Maihama Station, the trip only lasted about 15 minutes. From there, we walked across the street to Ikspari Station (the Resort Gateway Station) for the Disney Resort Monorail (650円).

I think I paid about 6000円 for each full-day, 1-park ticket. Tokyo Disney Resort doesn't offer 1 day park-hoppers, but it does sell 2-4 day park hoppers and discounted "Starlight Passports" for after 3pm on weekends OR "After 6 Passports" for after 6pm on Weekdays, which I would have taken advantage of if nomihodai (all you can drink) wasn't always calling my name.

Both times I visited the parks, it was a school day and I was pleasantly surprised to find it totally uncrowded. My friends and I never waited in lines longer than 20 minutes. Lucky!

tokyoresortstation.jpg
tokyomonoraildisney.jpg

tdlreport11.jpg

tdlreport9.jpg
tdlreport8.jpg

Tokyo Disneyland is not much different than Disneyland in California or the Magic Kingdom in Florida. It's laid out in the same way and all the rides are basically the same. One major difference, however, is that Main Street is called the World Bazaar and the entire area is covered. I didn't get to do much shopping or exploring in that area, but it looked like there were a lot of the same types of shops as Main Street including an ice cream parlor and a big Disney merch shop.

Most of the rides and shows are in Japanese, with the exception of Pirates of the Caribbean -- only the talking Jolly Roger before the waterfall speaks in Japanese, the song is in English. Safety warnings are bi or tri-lingual in English and Chinese (I think), as are all the safety signs posted outside.

tdlreport2.jpg
tdlreport1.jpg
Tokyo Disneyland didn't feature any new or different rides when I was there. Although now, I hear that Stitch's Tiki Room has opened along with some other stuff. But as far as when I was there... Versions of Indiana Jones and Finding Nemo/2,000 Leauges were built in DisneySea; Innoventions is missing, replaced instead by the theater Showbase; Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Casey Junior, Alice in Wonderland, and Storybook Land are missing in Fantasyland; The Matterhorn is also absent! Finally, the Haunted Mansion was relocated to Fantasyland, along with Winnie the Pooh.

tdlreport3.jpg
tdlreport4.jpg

tdlreport6.jpg
tdlreport7.jpg
All of the face characters were European and spoke only in English. I only heard them ask a few simple Japanese questions, like "How old are you?" There was a very small crowd around the Mad Hatter, so he took a break from the little ones to compare hat sizes (because I was wearing my mini-hatter hat) and make faces with me and check to see if we were ghosts. I think he was really excited to joke and play with people who spoke English. When we watched him, he would go on and on and on in English, in true Mad Hatter fashion -- but had to supplement pretty heavily with pantomime, while the Japanese families laughed a little bit where they guessed they were supposed to. Haha. A little awkward.

DINING
Although we were there all day, I don't remember much about what we ate while we were in the park specifically. I want to say that we ate a lot of ice cream and french fries and typical snack foods. I know for sure that we didn't have any traditional Japanese foods while we were there, so I can't speak to whatever Mickey udon they serve in the park -- but I remember the quality of food was similar to Disneyland, you know? Like it's pretty good, generally never spectacular. So, there's that.

queenbanquet4.jpg
queenbanquet1.jpg

HOWEVER, I do remember splurging on lunch at the Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall! How could I not? It's so richly themed, outside and in! The food was pretty good, it's buffeteria-style. I wanted to just eat one of each dessert for lunch, but my partner-in-crime convinced me to settle for 1 adorable little strawberry heart shaped mousse and some juicy chicken dish. We took a long time to eat while we enjoyed the insane amount of detail and decorations around us. :)

queenbanquet2.jpg
queenbanquet3.jpg

Oh, and I also remember the popcorn! Disneyland and DisneySea have popcorn carts, just like every other Disney park -- however, they have different flavors! There was plain/butter/salt/whatever, chocolate, caramel, honey, and CURRY! The curry smelled amazing everytime we walked by it, but there was always a huge line. Luckily, we passed it for the last time towards closing and the line was gone so I bought some! It was good, mild and a little sweet in the style of Japanese curry (not Thai or Indian) but not something I would have waited in a big long line for.

disneyhat1.jpg
disneyhat2.jpg
SHOPPING
Hands down, the best part of Tokyo Disneyland (and DisneySea) is the headgear. You won't find the traditional Mickey Mouse Club ears here (I only saw Pink and Silver 25th anniversary versions with ugly brims.) Instead, you can purchase a million different mini-hats, over-sized bows, and ears on barrettes! In addition to mini-hats, they sold tiny sprawled versions of Donald, Stitch, and the Cheshire Cat (see above!) Bonus! They were all super cheap (about 600-800?). I bought a Mad Hatter Hat, White Rabbit Ears, Minnie Ears, Minnie Ears w/ Sakura Blossoms, AND Stitch Ears for myself and for friends! Though, I really wish I'd gotten a sprawling Donald or Stitch too.

I know Disneyland has some similar Mickey and Pooh ears, but the Tokyo versions are far superior in that they are much less bulky and floppy. There were also "more traditional" fun hats, like Goofy's hat with ears and Stitch-eating-your-head, etc.

6222.jpg

Tokyo Disneyland also has a really unique shop, Chiba Traders in Westernland. It sells hybrid Disney-Traditional Japanese merchandise! So, you can find chopsticks and bento boxes with Mickey or paper fans and lanterns with Stitch and etc. There is also a large selection of non-Disney Japanese merchandise.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, you'll find a lot of amusing Western-themed merchandise (especially in Westernland where everything is American Indians and Cowboys.)

tdlmerch1.jpg
tdlmerch2.jpg

The rest of Tokyo Disneyland (and Sea) have lots of great, unique souvenirs too. Mickey & Minnie, Donald, Stitch, and Marie are super popular characters and are on EVERYTHING. You'll also find a lot of cutesy stuff, so if you like cuddly versions of your favorite characters with over-sized heads and little stumpy adorable bodies... this is the place! Elaborate cell phone straps are also ubiquitous and make great gifts.

tdlmerch3.jpg
tdlmerch4.jpg

The end! I will get around to DisneySea soon, I promise! Let me know if you have any questions!​

Excellent Trip Report teamlouise, looking forward to your second part on DisneySea.

This was very fun to read. My family's hoping to go to Japan for my college graduation, and we want to go to Tokyo Disney, so this was really great to read. I hope you add the Disney Sea portion soon! :goodvibes

I disagree with your post about all of the rides being basically the same, there are some rides at TDL which are much better, like Pooh's Hunny Hunt, plus Pirates, Space Mountain and Buzz Lightyear are all much nicer than WDW's

;)

I also disagree with your assessment of most of the rides at both the parks being much the same. Certainly a few in DL are but not most.
Versions of Indiana Jones and Finding Nemo/2,000 Leauges were built in DisneySea
20000 leagues under the sea at Disneysea is significantly different to that which was originally at Disneyland. There is NO Finding Nemo at all in the park.
Indiana Jones is indeed exactly the same though with a few Crystal Skulls chucked in now. Although the queue is much more spectacular. As with most rides. The QUEUE areas of the rides are far superior to those found in US parks.

At DL Pooh's Hunny Hunt is an incredibly different experience due to the hunny pots. At WDW and DL they are simply moving vehicles on a track. Hunny Hunt has spinning pots that are fantastic.

Haunted Mansion is a pre renovation copy of the American park ones. So is now different. If you read about it there were subtle changes in the original copying though.

I do disagree partly with ChrisFL though in saying that- Pirates, Space Mountain and Buzz Lightyear are all much nicer than WDW' though

Pirates isn't any nicer. Space Mountain was perhaps a bit tamer but not nicer. The Best is in Disneyland Anaheim. Buzz was very good though. But the queue was the same.

I do agree Face Characters do like finding westerners. We met an Indiana Jones who was really nice.

I also disagree with your assessment of most of the rides at both the parks being much the same. Certainly a few in DL are but not most.
Versions of Indiana Jones and Finding Nemo/2,000 Leauges were built in DisneySea
20000 leagues under the sea at Disneysea is significantly different to that which was originally at Disneyland. There is NO Finding Nemo at all in the park.
Indiana Jones is indeed exactly the same though with a few Crystal Skulls chucked in now. Although the queue is much more spectacular. As with most rides. The QUEUE areas of the rides are far superior to those found in US parks.

At DL Pooh's Hunny Hunt is an incredibly different experience due to the hunny pots. At WDW and DL they are simply moving vehicles on a track. Hunny Hunt has spinning pots that are fantastic.

Haunted Mansion is a pre renovation copy of the American park ones. So is now different. If you read about it there were subtle changes in the original copying though.

I do disagree partly with ChrisFL though in saying that- Pirates, Space Mountain and Buzz Lightyear are all much nicer than WDW' though

Pirates isn't any nicer. Space Mountain was perhaps a bit tamer but not nicer. The Best is in Disneyland Anaheim. Buzz was very good though. But the queue was the same.

I do agree Face Characters do like finding westerners. We met an Indiana Jones who was really nice.

The Pirates at TDL is twice as long, just like the DL version, remember at WDW we only get the "lite" version.

DisneySea has Turtle Talk with Crush now, so that could be considered a Finding Nemo attraction.

I am enjoying your report on the parks, I am hoping to travel to Japan in a few years once I finish school (working towards a second degree). Of course I plan on visiting Tokyo Disney!

Whoops. I copied a lot of that post over from a journal entry that I wrote before visiting DisneySea, so yeah - anybody who reads this thread should know that 2,000 Leagues is very unlike the submarine ride at Disneyland.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter