Sports balls no longer allowed?!?

wherespluto

Mouseketeer
We just got off the Magic on 12/28 and I wanted to share our experience. That was our 7th cruise in the last 3 years. In February, we bought one on the small Mickey footballs on Castaway Cay for my son. We went on the Dream double dip in June and we took it on the boat and off and on the island 2x with no issues. However, that was not the case on the Magic. We had it in our luggage, and took it on the island. However, it was confiscated when going through security when coming back on the boat. Security said that it was a prohibited item (one that they were selling right there on the island). I was not happy and when to Guest Services. That experience was the worst I have ever had on a Disney boat (and the first time I had ever complained about anything on a cruise). She told me that sports balls of any kinds are a prohibited item on the boat. When I told her we had never had an issue taking it on and off before she said "well if they dont see it they wont take it".

I checked the prohibited items list when I got back and it is not on the list at all. Only baseballs. I am hoping we dont encounter this again when we sail on the Dream in 2 weeks, but we shall see. Anyone else had this issue recently?

UPDATE: I talked to DCL and they said that the footballs are absolutely allowed and should NOT have been confiscated. At least I know we shouldnt have any issues if we take it on our cruise in 2 weeks on the Dream.

Last edited:
I can’t say I’ve encountered that issue but if they’re selling something on the island I can’t see how it’s prohibited to bring on the boat.

Prohibited to use on the boat, sure, maybe. Doubtful, but I could buy that. The “don’t see don’t care” attitude seems a bit strange. One would hope that they’d be a bit more concerned if it’s truly a prohibited item.

UPDATE: I talked to DCL and they said that the footballs are absolutely allowed and should NOT have been confiscated. At least I know we shouldnt have any issues if we take it on our cruise in 2 weeks on the Dream.

Do you have that in writing, or did you speak to DCL on the phone? They tell you it shouldnt have been confiscated, but it did happen. If you have it writing, I would bring it on your next cruise.

My wife tried to buy a small Mickey basketball on CC last week, and the CM cashier warned her that it would be confiscated.

The prohibited list is somewhat vague, and lists "potentially dangerous sporting equipment..." as well as "kites, balloons..." It doesn't explicitly state that balls are, or are not, allowed. I suspect that is intentional, though it can mean that a rogue CM may enforce a stricter interpretation of the rule. It's also possible there had been incidents of balls going overboard or causing problems onboard. So if that had been a recent issue on that ship, they may have tightened security with regards to such items. If confiscated re-boarding at CC, you should be able to retrieve the item at the end of your cruise. Sorry it was disappointing, I hope you were able to retrieve your item post-cruise. I wouldn't trust that a phone CM has final word on such things.

Enjoy your next cruise!

My wife tried to buy a small Mickey basketball on CC last week, and the CM cashier warned her that it would be confiscated.

Confiscated as in "held until the end of the cruise when she could pick it up upon debarking"?

It does seem odd that they would sell that item on the island and then confiscate it upon reboarding. Why not just stop selling it then there would be no frustration to the guest.

MJ

They should be allowed according to their own policy. This is on the DCL site:

Attachments

• 1A0E0DAB-16C5-4C7B-BA24-86FF7BCDA589.jpeg
    1A0E0DAB-16C5-4C7B-BA24-86FF7BCDA589.jpeg
    186.3 KB · Views: 7

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter