Split stay - Same Resort

jwinky

Mouseketeer
I apologize if there is another thread on this, but could not find it. I'm going in Nov 17 for free dining for 5 nights and we decided to extend the trip 1 day, but I cannot extend my reservation for another day with free dining on website. So can I book a separate reservation for 1 night and assume we'll be in the same room for the free dining (5 nights) + 1 night stay? I'll of course request this when we first check in, but wanted to see if it's an easy request that disney can accommodate.

You can book the extra night but there's no guarantee it'll be the same room. If you don't have the same room you'll have to check out at 11 and wait for your other room to become available. When you call tell them about having the two reservations and they'll try there best

We've had same resort split stays twice-once we added an extra night after finding much better deals on flights one day later than our original departure, and once to meet up with an out of town friend whose arrival was pushed back. Both times, I requested in advance to stay in the same room. Both times, we were told that they'd try to honor our request, buy couldn't guarantee anything, since they were 2 separate reservations. I mentioned the request again at check in. One time, they were able to keep us in the same room, but the other time, they were not. They did make it as easy as possible to switch rooms-it was still a bit of a PITB, but we understood why they needed to move us.

Once I was told I had to move rooms near end of trip on a split stay, same resort, same room category. Asked at checkin. They told me they could not. I asked again (politely) during my stay. Sorry, not possible. SO I packed us all up, the night before, just finished it and got a call at about 9 pm that we did not have to move after all. :worship: Even though I was all packed, I was still glad not to have to move.

This was at BWV, years ago.

They do try hard to keep you in the same room. It benefits both you and them as it costs them more to have to clean a room for a new guest than it does to clean a room for a returning guest. But sometimes they can't. So tell them as soon as possible to note their system that you have a continuing reservation so they can work their massive game of resort room tetris and try hard to keep you in the same room. And when you check in, mention it again. We've done it 3, 4 times and so far, been lucky enough to not have to move.

A few years ago, we decided to add on 2 nights to try AKL and we had the funding to go CL. When we went to book they only had one night CL, so we booked one with a Savannah view, and the 2nd club level. When we checked in, we offered to pay the difference on night one if they could just squeeze us into a CL room, and we were told they were completely booked and there was nothing we could do. On day 2, since we were making this a resort-only stay, we called and asked for a late check-out, and were told no. So we packed up and left at 11. And at 4, we got the text about our new CL room...................which was exactly 3 doors down from our room from the 1st night. It was frustrating to say the least, and before people say anything, I'm well aware Disney was within their rights to do this, I'm just noting that it was frustrating and comical to have to vacate for 5 hours, only to be placed 3 doors down from where we were. :sad2:

Just make sure you book the exact same room category that you have for the FD reservation. When you check-in at the resort, tell the CM you have a continuing reservation and you would like to stay in the same room. On the day of check-out/check-in, go to the front desk to check-in for the next reservation. I would go early (you can go as early as 6 am) and be prepared to pack up if need be. We've done this numerous times and have never had to switch rooms, though I'm prepared if we have to.

When you check in at the beginning of your stay, ask the CM at the desk if you are blocked into the same room for your continuing reservation. If not, that's the time they might be able to make it work.

If your room location, view, and type are the same you may very likely keep your room. They don't WANT to make it difficult for you. I did a split stay when I traveled with my mom for the first part of our trip and my husband was arriving after she left. We had 2 adults and 2 kids for the complete trip, but if we had booked one reservation, all 5 names (3 adults 2 kids) would have needed to be on the reservation, and therefore we would have incurred extra charges or needed a room that would sleep 5. The room type was identical, I just had two reservations. When I did the initial check-in they informed me that my room would be the same; but I would just need to check-in at the desk again when the 2nd reservation started. It went very smoothly for us, and I didn't have to pack anything up.

A few years ago, we decided to add on 2 nights to try AKL and we had the funding to go CL. When we went to book they only had one night CL, so we booked one with a Savannah view, and the 2nd club level. When we checked in, we offered to pay the difference on night one if they could just squeeze us into a CL room, and we were told they were completely booked and there was nothing we could do. On day 2, since we were making this a resort-only stay, we called and asked for a late check-out, and were told no. So we packed up and left at 11. And at 4, we got the text about our new CL room...................which was exactly 3 doors down from our room from the 1st night. It was frustrating to say the least, and before people say anything, I'm well aware Disney was within their rights to do this, I'm just noting that it was frustrating and comical to have to vacate for 5 hours, only to be placed 3 doors down from where we were. :sad2:
AKL is different like that. No designated CL rooms. And 4th floor Arusha Savanna view can be a CL room or just a savanna room.
We did a split stay at ALK half no CL and second half CL, and our rooms were not far apart. I don't even begin to understand how they block rooms. Must be a nightmare.

My sister and BIL, and my husband and I both did split stays at Pop several years ago - in 3 stages! Night 1: room-only. Night 2: premium plan (back when you could book it for just one night). Night 3: room-only. We confirmed at the first check-in that we wanted to remain in our same rooms for all three nights, and they were able to accommodate us. And we had connecting rooms, no less. So it's definitely possible, but make sure it's on both your reservations and they are linked.

Thanks everyone for your input. I'll give them a call to see if we can extend the FD and/or make sure the ressies are linked with each other.

Link the reservations and check at the front desk when you arrive. I've done this at POR with no issue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!