Spirit Airline Baggage Allowance

jingles93pn

FigmentLover
My family of 5 is using Spirit Airlines for our trip in September, and am concerned with my luggage selection! I plan on using this beauty of a suitcase
803205911be01.jpg
According to American Tourister the Overall Dimensions of the bag are 31.0" x 19.75" x 12.0", adding up to a total of 62.75". According to Spirit Airlines a checked bag can be 62 Linear inches. Is this bag still considered 62" or would it be considered oversized, thus ensuing a $100 charge? According to Spirit's website oversized luggage is considered 63-80 linear inches (158-203 cm) which results in + $100. So ultimately has anyone personally used this bag or same size bag to fly on Spirit? Or would it be considered of acceptable size to fly Spirit? Any and all help is greatly appreciated and welcome!

I use Spirit all the time, and I have a massive monster of a suitcase that comes in about 2.5 inches over what their size limit is. They have never given me a hard time about it. The only time I have seen them give anyone trouble is over the carry on sizes.

I am sure it all depends on the airline. I fly out if Latrobe, PA and they honestly probably wouldn’t care if I tried bringing a walrus on board with me. Which I guess is good and bad, lol.

I use Spirit all the time, and I have a massive monster of a suitcase that comes in about 2.5 inches over what their size limit is. They have never given me a hard time about it. The only time I have seen them give anyone trouble is over the carry on sizes.

I am sure it all depends on the airline. I fly out if Latrobe, PA and they honestly probably wouldn’t care if I tried bringing a walrus on board with me. Which I guess is good and bad, lol.
I will be flying out of Latrobe, PA as well, Crazy small world!! Looks like our vacations are going to just miss each other by a week! Thank you so much for your response!! You have absolutely made my day!

I will be flying out of Latrobe, PA as well, Crazy small world!! Looks like our vacations are going to just miss each other by a week! Thank you so much for your response!! You have absolutely made my day!

Oh that is so cool! Small world indeed :)

Arnold Palmer Airport is great! You shouldn’t have any problems at all :)

If Spirit considers 63 inches the start of oversized, and your bag is under 63, then you should be fine.

Did you measure the bag or are you going based on what the manufacturer says the measurements are?

Manufacturers conveniently don't measure from the bottom of the wheels to the top of the handle (pushed in) and airlines do.

So if you measure it and it's over 63" you can do one of two things (1) not take it or (2) take it and realize you can be charged. (Sorry, but what happened to anyone else is not relevant. If it's over the size limit and they decide to measure and charge a defense of "but someone on the DIS got away with it" generally has no real impact)

Did you measure the bag or are you going based on what the manufacturer says the measurements are?

Manufacturers conveniently don't measure from the bottom of the wheels to the top of the handle (pushed in) and airlines do.

^This. From back when I worked for now defunct AirTran, where we had tape measures as part of our uniform, the manufacturer often does not include "real" measurements. Wheels and expansions caused many a fee.

So if you measure it and it's over 63" you can do one of two things (1) not take it or (2) take it and realize you can be charged. (Sorry, but what happened to anyone else is not relevant. If it's over the size limit and they decide to measure and charge a defense of "but someone on the DIS got away with it" generally has no real impact)
I measured the bag and came up with less than 62 or right around 62...admittedly I’m not the greatest with a tape measure but I did it multiple times and got within a 1/4” each time.

Amazon shows the measurements as 28x19.8x12, so American Tourister's dimensions seem inclusive.
I called American Tourister directly and was told the overall meant with wheels and handles. The other measurement “body dimensions” was without wheels and handles. So I took it as their numbers are the legit ones!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter