Spinoff of "Was I the jerk here" thread.....

Disneyland1084

OH PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME!
This is a spin-off of the thread "Was I the jerk here" thread...Have you ever sat next to someone really strange at the movies? I have NO issues at all sitting next to people I don't know at the movies EXCEPT in the case that happened to me a few years ago. I bought a ticket online for a movie, and was the very first one to do so. I got a seat in the middle in the back row. When I get there, I saw a man in the seat right next to mine. I immediately got the creeps and moved a few seats away, hoping no one would claim it. Thankfully no one did. Now before I get slammed, that man had every right to purchase that seat. But WHY in a theater that sits over 100 and only 8 people bought tickets, would you pick a seat right next to someone you don't know? If I go to a movie where there's not many people and someone 's sitting in an area that I like, I'll at least pick one two seats away.

This happened to me and my husband once. We had the day off work so went to see a movie. There were only two other people in the whole theatre (so four of us in total) when a fifth person came in and took the seat directly beside me. Didn't even leave an empty seat between us. It made me so uncomfortable and even the other two people in the screen kept looking over as if to say "what on earth?" I eventually moved to sit on the other side of my husband and the man appeared to be quite offended. Sorry, but I not sharing an arm rest with a stranger when just about every other seat is available.

On another visit, another near empty screen, a guy went row to row looking at the seats before settling on the one right in front of me. He was very tall and I am very short so my view was just about completely blocked. Even his friend was surprised and told him to move along one so he wasn't blocking my view when every other seat was available. I don't mind this when it's packed, these things happen, but again, what's with sitting so close to others in an empty cinema?!

These were both before my local cinema started assigned seating so I can't even blame the booking system!

Not a seating one but when we went to see The Jungle Cruise, it was just us and one other couple. The couple came in late to the movie but I don't mean a few minutes, they arrived 40 minutes after the film started. After sitting for maybe five minutes or so, one of them went out to the bar. When he came back, the other one went out and was gone for another ten minutes or so. They did this for the rest of the movie, pretty much passing each other in the aisle as they went in and out. I spend a lot of time at the cinema and it's genuinely one of the most interesting things I've seen from fellow movie-goers (and that is really saying something!)

We went to see "end game" a family of 5 came in. The kids were all under 8. The usher approached the family and mentioned that the movie had a long run time (it was a 9pm showing) the mom sat the youngest next to me, I got up and sat on the other side of my hubby. The family rustled around forever, movie starts, kid gets up, mom up, rustle.... we got up and moved across the theater. The family lasted about 1 hour then the kids got really noisy... they left. I didn't feel bad for moving.

I had something similar happen once several years ago. My kids were super young and I got a long-awaited mom's night out (bless my DH). Went to see NOT a kid movie by myself. It was glorious.

The movie theater was pretty empty. There were maybe a total of 10 people in the entire theater. I was in a row all to myself. It was a big theater. Literally dozens upon dozens of empty seats everywhere to choose from.

A few minutes before the movie was to begin, a couple came in (man & woman). And what do you know? They sat down RIGHT BESIDE ME. The woman sat directly next to me.

It was super weird. I thought, "What the heck? There's a couple hundred empty seats here. ROWS of empty seats and you had to sit, like, RIGHT BESIDE ME? What is WRONG with you?"

So I got up and moved 2 or 3 seats over. The couple were total idiots, truly. The woman said, "Oh, like, sorry. Um..." I couldn't take it anymore and I said, "Oh, it's ok. It's fine. It's not like there isn't an entire theater in front of you of empty seats or anything. It's not weird or anything to sit down in totally empty theater next to the ONE person in this row. It's nothing personal, but I really don't want to sit next to you."

Then I heard her husband say to her, "I TOLD you!" :rotfl2:

I was the weird one years ago as a teenager. We went to see one of the Friday the 13th movies. Got there a few minutes late and it was really dark. We made out a couple of seats and sat down. Scary scene on the screen flashed bright light and I realized I had sat next to a man in an almost empty theater.

I thought Jason had come in the flesh!

Went to a movie a very long time ago and something similar happened to us, I glared and moved us but then watched as a scene happened to another family.

The interlopers started an issue with the original groups child then parents got loud and everyone went off to the manager. Since I saw the interloper groups head dude pay for popcorn using one of those change belts the ice cream man usually favors 🤡I assumed the spectacle was so he could get free tickets. Although, stranger still was the guy who leaned over a group of my kids and their friends to steal a slice of pizza for his kid at another time.

Yep. All of these examples ring true for me. Strangers sitting next to me in empty theatres, tall people directly in front of me in empty theatres. Boisterous families all around me. People up and down, crawling back and forth over you throughout the movie when perfectly good aisle seats are available.

I really hate going to the movies. Lol.

Not at a theater, but maybe 10 years ago at the State Fair DH and I were sitting at a long table in the food court area having a bite to eat. There were plenty of other empty tables under the tent.

This weird family comes and sits right next to us. Mom, Dad, and about six kids. They looked like backwoods 1930s Appalacia or something. No spaces between us, Dad sat directly next to me. He sits there while Mom and two kids go to get food. He lets the other kids run around. Then he starts talking to DH but it seemed like he was from outer space. We had no clue what he was trying to say.

We skedaddled outta there pretty fast. Thankfully we were just about finished eating anyway.

This is a spin-off of the thread "Was I the jerk here" thread...Have you ever sat next to someone really strange at the movies? I have NO issues at all sitting next to people I don't know at the movies EXCEPT in the case that happened to me a few years ago. I bought a ticket online for a movie, and was the very first one to do so. I got a seat in the middle in the back row. When I get there, I saw a man in the seat right next to mine. I immediately got the creeps and moved a few seats away, hoping no one would claim it. Thankfully no one did. Now before I get slammed, that man had every right to purchase that seat. But WHY in a theater that sits over 100 and only 8 people bought tickets, would you pick a seat right next to someone you don't know? If I go to a movie where there's not many people and someone 's sitting in an area that I like, I'll at least pick one two seats away.

In your particular situation, the only thing I can think is:
Lots of people like the "middle of the back row." In fact, it's my favorite spot.

When he bought his ticket and saw only very small amounts of other theaters goers, he had no way to know that it would remain that way. For all he knew, the theater could fill up quite a bit so maybe he should just pick the seat he really wanted.

Those are my "benefit of the doubt" thoughts. Personally, I would have selected a seat at least 2 people away from another.

My husband and I go to the movies frequently. I don't ever remember anything that weird happening. Now all of the theatres by me are assigned recliner seats. They are wider and much more comfortable. There are only like 9 seats in a row. I don't care if people pick a seat next to me!

Although I may be the annoying one because I munch on popcorn, take off my shoes (always wearing socks) and bring my own blanket. lol

Yes! Every time I go to the movies I end up
Sitting beside someone who keeps trying to talk to me!

Did I mention I often go to the movies with my dad :rotfl2: :rotfl2:
Funny you say that - when I go to the movies with my DS, on the way in he threatens me with bodily harm (JK) if I don't keep my trap shut. And here's me, just trying to enhance the experience for both of us with my witty commentary and thoughtful insights... :littleangel:

My DD and me had a strange on sit next to her at the Barbie show at Epcot many many years ago. We had got there early and picked great aisle seats. Ther was a popcorn cart right in the back of the theatre I erotic get some but I could see DD and she could see me. She was maybe. 12 or so. I was just about done and she comes running to me Thst a strange guy sat right next to her. And he sure was strange. Older guy by himself. He didn’t even talk to my DD just was creepy we sat somewhere else. DD even got to hit the beach all back snd forth to Barbie several times. Oops should have said. Went to get some

Last edited:
A few years back I took my kids ~4&7 to a kid themed movie (probably Disney). Middle of the week, afternoon. Only 5-6 people in large theater. Just before showtime a large woman with huge natural hair came in and sat right in front of my daughter. We could have moved, sure. But my momma bear snapped in and I went off on her. No cursing or anything just something like "why in the world would you.....?" She got a bit defensive but i stood my ground (seat) and she moved. Some people are clueless.

I feel all this theater pain so deeply! It’s so annoying when a Costco-sized family pack burrows into your aisle, loud and obnoxious as anything. We’re talking about ten or more people, with every kid they could fit in the vehicle, all clustered in the same section.

Fortunately, the crowd was small for a rerelease of ALIEN. Only seven people, which is exactly the number of crew members aboard the Nostromo- coincidence??

These were assigned seats, I was sitting away from the others, until a couple came by to sit close to me. Seats that were originally unassigned when I purchased the ticket. Plenty of space between them and the next group of people down below.

My takeaway is either they were planning to be scared of the movie, and needed a third person to be there for support, or they just though that particular spot was the best vantage point for them.

I can understand as well if at the time they expected many more people in the theater, therefore no big deal if they plop down by someone in possibly soon-to-be-crowded aisle.

Even then, I plot my seating away from others until the seating map resembles a game of Minefield.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter