Spinoff: How Did Your Parents Meet?

My parents met on a blind-blind date at a Shoney's restaurant.

The guy w/ whom my mom was supposed to go out broke his arm. My dad, who was home for the weekend from the army, was called to "sub" for the guy w/ the broken arm.

They were both either 19 or 20 at the time & got married when they were 21.

My dad was working in a gas station. When my mom went to the station, he pumped gas for her. He was due to report for duty the next week, so he lost no time and asked her out. They went out once before he was shipped to Europe. He was in the army motor corp stationed in Brussels, Belgium during WWII. After corresponding for a few months, he wrote to ask her to marry him when he came home. The rest is history!

In the early 60's my dad used to vacation regularly in Jamaica and became close with one of the locals. One day in 1963 my dad got a letter saying local's sister would be travelling to my dad's town and would he show her around? She came, they met and she wound up staying here to marry him!

My parents went to high school together. My dad pursued my mom but she wouldn't go out with him. After high school, she was engaged to someone else but broke up. She saw my dad somewhere and he asked her again for a date. She initially said no but her sister said, oh come on give him one date. They were married 6 months later (December 1956). He was drafted and the spent the first 2 years apart often. I was conceived shortly after he got out. They had me and 2 younger brothers. My dad passed in 1993 and my mom in 2005.

My parents met on a blind date. My dad's pastor knew him, and the pastor's wife knew my mom's family. They first met at a taco dinner at my dad's pastor's house. Their first real date was seeing the first Star Wars movie in 1977. Even though they have been together since then, my mom hasn't watched another Star Wars movie!

My parents met in school at about 14 years old. Married at 17. Purposely got pregnant (*waves*) so they could. Split up, had a ‘fix it’ baby and divorced around 20-21.

Dad met stepmother at work. She told him he could stay at her place when my first stepmother threw him out of his own house after SHE cheated. They were together 43 years before my dad passed.

Not sure how my mom and stepdad met but again it was right off a second marriage. They’re going on 48 (?) years.
Seems the third time was the charm for both.

My mother had gone on a few dates with my uncle and before Christmas, she went to his apartment to go help him and his roommate (his brother) pick out a christmas tree.

Three weeks later she eloped with my father, the roommate.

My Mom used to hang with her friends on the steps of my Dad's parents' corner store, and that's how they met. Or I should say, they knew each other all their lives.

My Grandparents (my Mom's Mom and Dad) met when my grandmother was cleaning her then boyfriend's house with his mother. She said she was on her hands and knees scrubbing the kitchen floor with a rag tied on her head and everything, when all of a sudden this big handsome sailor with blond curly hair poking out from under his sailor cap filled the entire doorway. It was 1944 and my to-be grandfather was on leave from the navy coming over to visit my to-be grandmother's boyfriend. I'm not sure what happened next, but the rest is history.

My Poppy was a handsome man even when he was older, so I can only imagine him in color back in 1944. And my grandmother always said she was swept off her feet:
pll9YAFYj

As members of a wedding party- Dad’s brother and Mom’s cousin were the bride and groom. Another of Dad’s brother met and married bride’s college roommate.
Between kids, grandchildren and great grandkids there must be at least 80-100 people alive as a result of that wedding in 1951

My dad moved into a house about 3 houses away from my mom when they were teen? Early 20s? I'm a little fuzzy when exactly. Dad was best friends with mom's brother. Their parents (my grandparents) knew each other. Apparently my dad's dad and mom's mom dated briefly.

My dad was attending military school where we live and his friend, now my uncle, brought him home to meet his family. When he walked in the door there was my mom laying on the floor playing with her baby brother, my other uncle, God rest his soul.

They grew up together. Church. Grandpa was the pastor. Dad's mom took him there. I suppose my other grandpa went. Not sure. They're all gone so no one to ask any more.

.Both my Grandfather's worked at the Navy Yard as shipbuilders ( civilians). My Grandmothers played cards with other wives & became friends. When the home across the street from Mom's became available her Mom went to the housing office ( it was housing for Navy Yard both servicemen & civilian employees) to get her friend's (Dad's Mom) family moved to it. A few years later my folks started dating and where together about 70 years before Dad died.

Arranged marriage. My mom's older sister was married to my dad's older brother so they were kinda 'thrown' together. Lasted 30 something years before they finally split up.

My father was in the Army and was on vacation with his best friend in Atlanta. My mother was in the Canadian Air Force and was also on vacation in Atlanta with her best friend. They met at a park and spent two weeks getting to know each other. After they went home they corresponded by letters and didn’t see each other again until their wedding. Their best friends were best man and maid of honor who also eventually married.
They were married 2 weeks shy of 60 years when my mom passed from Alzheimer’s.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter