Spinoff: How Did Your Parents Meet?

Julie's Haircut

DIS Veteran
My parents met at a Philadelphia Phillies baseball game in 1947 in old Connie Mack Stadium. She was with a girlfriend and he was sitting with a buddy in the row behind them. They all started chatting during the game and then went to a bar afterwards.

My parents hit it off but the other couple didn't. They got married in 1952.

A Christmas Party (on Christmas Eve). Mom was 15, dad 18. Dad went to the Army mom meet someone else, had my sister. Dad came back, mom was single and well the rest is history.

They never didn't know each other. They were both born and raised in the same small, rural community where everybody knew everybody for generations. They were also distantly related through my DMom's first husband.

At the post office on Canal Street in Manhattan that they worked at during the Christmas season.

In a bizarre life twist my maternal grandmother and step paternal grandmother met decades before in a NJ park while they were both pregnant and spent months fantasizing about their children marrying.
They didn't meet again until my parents' engagement party even though it was different children getting married but still remembered each other.

Apparently my dad pulled up to a party on his Harley Davidson and told my mom to get on the bike. Thank goodness she did!

They were introduced by my mom's cousin at a community dance. They were married 6 months later. Their mother's realized as the wedding was being planned that their great-grandmothers were sisters so they were 3rd or 4th cousins.

My parents were in a wedding party together - my dad’s uncle married my mom’s cousin and then my parents were married 9 months later! that first couple divorced not long after but my parents are at 48 years and going strong.

My dad and my mom's brother were friends. My mom was sent to tell my uncle he had to get home and my dad was there. Mom thought dad was a 'creep', and dad thought mom was "cute as a button". Dad was a little rough around the edges back then and according to my maternal grandmother he was from "the wrong side of the tracks". Thankfully dad grew on my mom and they eloped. Dad was 19, mom was 17 and still in high school. They had me as quickly as possible so my mom's parents couldn't get the marriage annulled and believe me they tried. My parents will be married 64 years on October 10 and I have never seen 2 people more devoted to each other. They set a very high bar for my brothers and I to follow.

My mom worked at a store that my dad was shopping at.

I prefer how my grandparents met.
  • Maternal grandparents were fixed up on a blind date. He was 14 years older, she didn't care too much for him. Next thing you know they eloped two weeks later and were together for 60+ years until his death.
  • Paternal grandparents met at VJ Day in San Francisco. Grandma was in the nursing cadette corps and she and a girlfriend decided to head into the city to welcome those returning home. Grandpa was returning home to the bay area from being stationed in Idaho (yup, not where he wanted) for the last few years. They met that day and were married over 70 years. They both passed away this year.

Not such an exciting story, but they met through mutual friends (my mom's roommate met one of my dad's friends, so their friend groups got introduced). My mom apparently didn't like my dad too much at the beginning. He started "growing on her," but it almost ended right when it started. My mom accepted my dad's invitation to dinner, then he apparently took her to McDonald's. He thought she'd like it because they were "new" back then and neither of them had ever been to one. My mother thought 'dinner' would be someplace with a menu and a waiter. She was not impressed with McDonalds (and still isn't.)

They've been married for over 51 years though... and just had dinner with that same group of friends last week. Mom's old roommate is still the "organizer' of the group.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter