Spin-off: American and British/Irish culture Q&A thread.

Brits, do you guys still make 12th night cakes 🎂 during this time of year? We Americans used to make them pre-Civil War era but they seemed to culturally go out of style after that era.

I guess we did often make a figgy pudding if that helps? Out of favour now and people bake as they see fit. Me? My mum makes. a KILLER strawberry meringue :) But then again, I'm a sucker for anything with strawberries and cream in it!

Interesting nugget... The name "Xavier" has long been subjective in its pronunciation over in the UK. However, in the King's English, it SHOULD be pronounced "Zs-aye-viear. The "X" is actually a soft "Z". Only in America is the name really pronounced "Ecs-aye-viear".

One more old English quirks... the word "Jail" is actually a modern rendition of the classical word, "Gaol". There is a minor pronunciation difference - Gaol is a softer sound, perhaps a little more Welsh? The UK has since then adopted the spelling "Jail" however.

The English word "Colour" and others with an additional "U" letter all additionally do have a slightly different pronunciation - Color is slightly sharper, more rounded, whereas Colour is longer and softer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter