Spending money in Bahamas question

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by Stefani P., Jan 11, 2019.

1. Stefani P.

Stefani P. Mouseketeer

Silly question. When we get off in Nassau, we can just use our credit card of we want to shop, right?
    First time out of the country for me

2. DynamicDisneyDuo

DynamicDisneyDuo DIS Veteran

It depends on your card but generally, yes you can just use your credit card in Nassau. You would want to notify your card issuer prior to leaving the country where you will be and that you anticipate using the card abroad.

3. Avatar

DIS Sponsor Let Dreams Unlimited Travel plan your perfect Disney vacation!

4. mevelandry

mevelandry DIS Veteran

You can, but be aware of the risk to get your card infos stolen (it happens a lot). DH and I usually just bring a little money and keep our card safe in case of emergency.

5. pezgirlroy

pezgirlroy Mouseketeer

As said before, generally yes but it is always a good idea to just give your card company a call and let them know. Especially if you are going to make any big purchases like jewelry.

6. dcassetta

dcassetta DIS Veteran

Sure. As others have advised let your card company know. I would also recommend using a card with no foreign transaction fees.

7. kendall

kendall live, love, learn

I've also found it quite easy to use US dollars in Nassau without any problem.

Stefani P. likes this.
  8. cedricandsophie

cedricandsophie DIS Veteran

I’ve used my chase card all over the world and have never had info stolen. I’ve had it used illegally in the US a few Times and have had it replaced. Chase united mileages plus card does not charge transaction fees. Plus they send an email each time a foreign transaction is recorded. So you can easily track it.

Stefani P. likes this.
  9. mike314

mike314 Mouseketeer

Also just a friendly reminder to check if your credit card company has foreign transaction fees. Sometimes its like 1-3% of the purchase but its always good to call and check before....its somewhere buried in the fine print :crazy2:

Stefani P. likes this.
  10. Stefani P.

Stefani P. Mouseketeer

Thank you all!