Specialist Travel Insurance

Discussion in 'UK Trip Planning Forum' started by Stuartpaul, Aug 10, 2003.

  1. Stuartpaul

    Stuartpaul Mouseketeer

    Aug 12, 2002
    My wife has just been diagnosed as being in the early stages of chronic myloid leukaemia so we've decided to go back for a week in November. We're looking for a firm that will offer travel insurance so we can get home should there be a problem.

    Does anybody know where such cover might be available?

    On a related note she has to have daily injections and we wonder if there will be any problems taking needles and associated medication through customs/security etc.

    Any help appreciated.


  2. GO2209

    GO2209 Mouseketeer

    Aug 10, 2002
    A letter from your doctor will be sufficient to allow you to pass through security with the neccessary needles etc - although you may have to hand them over to the cabin crew(?)

    As for insurance, I know from my family that this can be a non-trivial task. http://www.medicare.co.uk was one company recommended to us. The paperwork required is amazing - your doctor will have to fill in forms too (and can charge for this) and the final quote can be huge compared to your average high-street policies. Good luck.
  3. vernon

    vernon DIS Veteran

    Sep 6, 1999
    Can't help with your question Stuart, just wanted to give you my best wishes at what must be a difficult time.
  4. Mazzy

    Mazzy Obsessive Trip Planner!

    Mar 3, 2000
    I'm sorry to hear about your wife, my best wishes to you both.

    You may like to try www.nationwide.co.uk They were very good for mine and DH's complaints, so it might be worth giving them a call, the number is on the website.

    I hope you both have a fabulous trip. :D
  5. janeossie

    janeossie Mouseketeer

    Mar 4, 2002
    Another site you can try is gosure.com put in that you want a single trip quote and it will give an option for you to click here if over 70 or medical condition.

    I found this a lot cheaper than medicare for my upcoming trip over £2000 for 3 from medicare but about £400 with gosure my mum has COPD so I have to have specialist cover

    Hope this helps


Share This Page