"special-needs" 4-year old in nursery??

buckeyelabmom

Mouseketeer
Has anyone had any experience with a special-needs kiddo and the nursery? We are considering a cruise in the fall and my kiddo will be 4, but I don't think the club will be a good match. He was born with a rare-defect in his legs and cannot walk. He scoots himself around on his butt and I'm afraid in the club he would get hurt. He is a small guy, so probably not any larger than some of the 3 year olds in the nursery.
Thoughts?

Thanks!!

I don't believe you are able to bump down to the nursery, but I may be incorrect. I think they are pretty strict about that. Hopefully someone else will be able to offer you more info.

That's a good question. My gut reaction is their answer will be "no" because DCL is very strict on upper age limits and does not allow kids to "age down" for any reasons (disability, siblings or whatever). I believe the nursery is for ages up through 3 yrs old, overlapping with the Oceaneers Club/Lab for ages 3-12 (age 3 may use either space). DCL offers "Open House" times at the Club/Lab (not sure about the nursery) specifically to accommodate children who wish to utilize a different kids' space than their age or those who cannot attend during secured programming - including children with disabilities.

Best you can do is ask at the nursery once you are onboard.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you Sailing! Not what I wanted to hear, but thought that was likely going to be the answer :(

Glad I thought to ask around now (and I think I'll email Disney too) before we got too excited about going and using the child care.

Thanks lane! I think we'll wait a few years to go and see where he is at then. I have my heart-set on the couples massage and spa villa, so I'm going to have to wait until I feel comfortable with him in the club before I can do that :)

My son stayed in the nursery at age 4 on the Wonder five years ago. He also could not walk due to disability (used a walker) and was not toilet trained. He loved it, and the staff all loved him. Since then, he has stayed in the Club and Lab numerous times using his wheelchair and crutches.

My son stayed in the nursery at age 4 on the Wonder five years ago. He also could not walk due to disability (used a walker) and was not toilet trained. He loved it, and the staff all loved him. Since then, he has stayed in the Club and Lab numerous times using his wheelchair and crutches.

That's good to know! However, I do believe there have been a LOT of changes to rules for the kids' spaces in the past 5 years. DCL did used to take into consideration those with special needs or disabilities, and also used to allow a parent/adult to accompany a child. That is no longer true. Toilet trained is no longer a requirement of the Club/Lab, as long as the parents agree to return at regular intervals to deal with toileting/diapering changes.

I'm very glad to hear your son finds the Club/Lab to be accessible and enjoyable!

You may want to consider the Magic or Wonder the smaller ships = less kids in the clubs.
Also the counselors are great with special needs kids. They can't provide one on one care but they will give your child a wonderful experience

The kids club was great working with my six year old son who has high functioning autism and a serious food allergy. But, on the other hand, one of my four year old twins came back with a quite large, fresh abrasion on her nose. When I asked how she got it, she said she and another girl bumped into one another. I asked if the counselors helped her and she said no, that her six year old brother (with autism!) found her crying on the floor and helped her. (I had told them that the "rule" is that they must always help one another when my husband and I aren't there, and his rule driven little self took it to heart, thank goodness.)

I don't know what happened or how long she was upset since neither child is super expressive. He may have seen her two seconds after she fell down. But no counselor ever seemed to notice her bleeding, or if they did they didn't see a need to contact us or mention it at pick up. It's definitely different (in my experience) from our preschool or elementary school where there is a high degree of supervision. (And this was on the Magic).

All that said, my kids (6,4,4) loved kids club and always wanted to go back. I feel comfortable sending them because there are three of them together. But I would be more hesitant with a medically fragile child by himself. Definitely talk to the special needs group. They were very helpful in addressing our concerns before we sailed. And everyone treated the food allergy very seriously. I honestly wish one could arrange a Disney assistant or facilitator even if it were at an additional charge. Even our preschool has provisions for a facilitator if needed. I'm still not a huge fan of the large age range in the club as I think it lends itself to a bit more chaos.

Thank you so much everyone! I will give them a call and see what they say :) We are hopeful that he *will* walk someday so maybe I just need to be patient about using the club!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter