Special fare for bereavement?

bobbiwoz

I'm happy to dance with you!
A dear friend, not a realative, died today. I would like to travel to Daytona, but the fares are over $600 because of short notice. Is there anything to do?

Bobbi

You can call, but from when I was looking into this (several years ago), only a very few airlines had anything like that. And those that did involved full fare then a refund, with a certified death certificate.

Not much. I know that when my mom died, my brother and sister-in-law out in Seattle tried to get a bereavement fare and it wasn't a great deal. And my s-i-l works in the travel industry and still couldn't book anything particularly cheap.

American Airlines. It's called compassionate fares and you need to have information such as the funeral home etc. But my sister and her family were able to get home last month for my Mom's last days/funeral and had very flexible change arrangements. Not sure what the relationship needs to be to qualify for it......

When my grandmother died a few months ago, my sister and BIL were able to find cheaper fares online than anything the airlines could offer them.

I'm sorry for your loss, and good luck with the fares.

I just went through this (FIL died on 3/9). After calling every airline I found there really aren't any bereavement fares anymore. We did the best by just booking on Southwest (at $500/pp). Continental, Northwest and US air offered 30% off their published fare ($1200-$1400/pp). We would have had to pay the full fare up front and then supply them with a certified copy of the death certificate and a statement from the funeral home. Delta and American didn't offer anything, nor did JetBlue, Spirit or Airtran.

I just wanted to suggest trying lastminute.com or lastminutetravel.com. You can book the car package and not use the car - I've done this several times before.

Sorry for your loss.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter