Speaking of Showers......(Bridal that is!)

Helene

Mouseketeer
Just thought I'd post a question that's been on my mind for the last week and since there was alot of input on the "shower for 2nd baby" thread, thought you all could help.

My brother recently became engaged (last week) and I was asked to be the "Matron of Honor". This will be a second marriage for both.

I really do not want to host a "Bridal" shower as I don't think it's appropriate for a 2nd marriage. Yet, in some strange way I feel obligated to do something more than a "Bachelorette" party.

Have any of you been to any creative, non-offending get togethers? A simple engagement party perhaps??? Perhaps nothing at all??

I'm open to ideas. Thanks.

Helene

I think a nice get together, maybe a BBQ, for the families to get to know one another and celebrate the upcoming marriage is totally appropriate. If you want to state no gifts on the invitation, perhaps a statement like "your presense is your present" or something like that. If people really want to bring gifts, they will but that way nobody feels obliged and it's a nice way to celebrate. Have fun!!

A nice luncheon, picnic, or cookout would be a fun way to celebrate without doing the whole "shower" thing.

I would disagree about making any mention of gifts on the invitation. I know that's being done more and more, but it's really not correct. By mentioning gifts on the invite, even to just say "no gifts, please" brings with it the implication that gifts would have been expected. There should never be any mention of gifts on a party invite.

If you send out an invite saying it's a party for the families to get to know each other, it probably won't occur to most people to bring gifts. If people call and ask you can let them know that gifts aren't necessary.

Thanks for the suggestions. Perhaps I'll host a party at my home. We can all kick back around the pool and have a fun time celebrating with both of them.

Helene

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!