Spaceship Earth to close May 26th

Carolynleanne

Canadian Disney mom
Has there been any official date release yet for the closure? Last I heard it was 'early 2020' but I'm hoping our trip mid-January might allow us one last ride *fingers crossed*

EDIT: I know it's a REFURB, not a forever close ;)

Last edited:
Oh yes. Sorry. I knew it wasn't closing for GOOD but I thought it'd been officially confirmed that it would be down for a year or two for refurb?

It's a family favorite, so that would be super upsetting if it was closed for good!!! Epcot just wouldn't be the same!

Totally agreed!!! I know it went through a refurb quite a while ago now, and it is certainly due for another, but hopefully not *too* much will be changing in this next one. Maybe it'll be a re-vamp of new cartoon options/adventures to put our heads on :rotfl:One of my favorite parts of the ride!

I hope so!!!
Hate to break news to you then, but at least one fairly well thought of insider has said things have changed. Could close by as early as end of 2019 and be down for 2-3 years in refurb. Per him if not late 2019 then early to mid 2020 looks pretty solid.

Hate to break news to you then, but at least one fairly well thought of insider has said things have changed. Could close by as early as end of 2019 and be down for 2-3 years in refurb. Per him if not late 2019 then early to mid 2020 looks pretty solid.

That's what I had heard, which is why I was surprised to see so many comments saying NOPE. We're going January 2020, and I'm betting a 50/50 chance it'll be closed.

That's what I had heard, which is why I was surprised to see so many comments saying NOPE. We're going January 2020, and I'm betting a 50/50 chance it'll be closed.
Up until about 30 days ago all signs and conversations were pointing to it closing in about 2 years. All of a sudden the spine redo caught traction(as in they seem to have finally settled on a plan). With all of the construction and demolition work that will be done in the area, it seems that logistically it would be better for them to do this now even if the park will lose another needed attraction. I was still told that it will be late January- early Feb 2020 at the earliest, and that late 2019 wold not be the case. However, up until Christmas this was at least 2 years out and that seems to have changed rather quickly.

Up until about 30 days ago all signs and conversations were pointing to it closing in about 2 years. All of a sudden the spine redo caught traction(as in they seem to have finally settled on a plan). With all of the construction and demolition work that will be done in the area, it seems that logistically it would be better for them to do this now even if the park will lose another needed attraction. I was still told that it will be late January- early Feb 2020 at the earliest, and that late 2019 wold not be the case. However, up until Christmas this was at least 2 years out and that seems to have changed rather quickly.

Hopefully we can sneak in a quick ride before closure during our January 13th 2020 trip ;)

Hopefully we can sneak in a quick ride before closure during our January 13th 2020 trip ;)
We thanked the Phoenicians 4x on our trip in Jan. One of the whole family's favorite rides. I did learn, however, that the area where the queue is located is a massive wind tunnel. It was a horrible day, rainy, cold, windy when we went, and that area was like being in a hurricane when the slightest breeze came through. One of my kids was standing on the lower rung of the queue rail and the wind just about blew him off it.

I hope its a refurb and not closing for good. My teenage son used to love it as a toddler but that was just for the sights/ride. Then he got "bored" with it. Now as a teenager he is actually interested in the info provided by Dame Dench and the history and wants to ride every time. Now my daughter who is younger is interested in it for the ride and sights. History repeats!

I hope its a refurb and not closing for good. My teenage son used to love it as a toddler but that was just for the sights/ride. Then he got "bored" with it. Now as a teenager he is actually interested in the info provided by Dame Dench and the history and wants to ride every time. Now my daughter who is younger is interested in it for the ride and sights. History repeats!

They would need something exceptional to replace Spaceship Earth (well, the ride inside Spaceship Earth...) and I just can't see that happening. Perhaps in 20 years they'll remove the sphere entirely for a different icon, but who knows. I'm imagining an update to the 90s "future" stuff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter