Space Shuttle lifting off May 15th!!! How can I get there?

dcibrando

DIS Veteran
DVC Platinum
How can I get to Kennedy Space Center to see the shuttle launch May 15th?

How much would a taxi or shuttle cost? I'll be staying at Pop?

Maybe I can ride with someone there? haha

can you see the space shuttle launch from within disney?

I'm not sure about getting to KSC, but if it is a clear day, you CAN see the shuttle launch from Disney property. It's basically just a trail of smoke, but you can see it.

can you hear the shuttle as in know when/where to look when it happens?

You can't hear it, but you can see it. Just look to the north-east area. It's quite visible on a clear day.

If you want to get to KSC, Mears might be able to get you there. I know they run shuttles out there, but I don't know if thier time tables will match the shuttle's launch time.

The only other option would be to rent a car.

How did you find out the exact date? When I go to the KSC website, it just says :

Date: 5/12/2005 - 6/3/2005

Time: These dates are the launch planning window. A firm date has not yet been selected.

BTW: When I looked into renting a car from Budget in DD, the price for a one-day rental of a midsize car was about 35.00 using a code from Mousavers.

I wouldn't count on it being May 15th. Many times they adjust the date as it gets closer.

I can't wait to see a launch up close.

If you do travel to KSC for the launch, just be prepared that launches can be delayed right up to the last minute. DS and I were lucky enough to attend a night launch with someone working for NASA - he was able to get us all the way in (only a couple of miles from the launch pad, across the canal). The first night a thunder storm moved in and cancelled the launch with less than an hour to go - second night a technical problem stopped the launch within minutes of take off - third night was finally a go ! DS had been attending Space Camp for several years, so it was a huge thrill for us ! By far the most amazing 'man-made' phenomenon I've ever witnessed !!! However, every night that it was delayed we had to get up the next morning, reschedule our flight home, rebook our room, hang out by the pool, eat yet another meal at Denny's, etc . . . 3 times over 5 days! It was worth all the effort for us (we also got to see the trailer with the astronauts in it drive right in front of us on their way to the launch pad and wave out their windows - first flight with female commander, Eileen Collins! - the night it finally went was the anniversary of John Glenns first flight and the Olympic gold medal women's soccer team and Hillary Clinton were also there) - but be prepared that 'stuff happens'! :smooth:

If you contact KSC, I believe that there were buses you could book a seat on (in advance) that came over from the visitors center.

I saw one take of from the beach and it was great. I also saw a night launch from the beach down near Fort Lauderdale! However, they do change and with the new security restrictions it is a challange. I was on my cell phone quite often checking the updates.

NASA released their target date of May 15th on Yahoo and in the news last week... whether that'll happen remains to be seen.

thanks everyone for your advice... I guess I'll just stay in the parks.. if I see it in the sky I do, if I don't I don't

The May 15 date was just the opening of the launch window (May 15-June 3). Here's the ksc site where you can sign up for updates. www.ksctickets.com/lttandmaxac.html When they announce the firm launch date, they will send an email so you can order tickets to watch the launch from ksc--naturally they will go fast. The launch will be during the day.

I would rent a car for the day, and drive to Jetty Park at Port Canaveral, or the Cocoa Beach Pier. The car will cost half of what a taxi or shuttle will be. Anywhere in the cocoa beach area will be great for seeing and hearing the shuttle. Plan on getting here early, and spend the day at the beach. The entire area will be crowded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter