Space 220 opening

abnihon

DIS Veteran
Any guesses when this will be now?
I assume it may still take a few weeks AFTER parks reopen?
Any rumors it’s being delayed for budget reasons?

No idea when it will open, but I would expect Disney wants it open as soon as possible. I would expect it will be very busy as soon as it opens and Disney isn't going to want to delay that income stream.

All timetables are up in the air right now. Everything really depends on how long this goes on.

Last I heard it was opening in April May.

Kidding. This poor restaurant's luck. Next is going to be an alien take over that delays it.

I hope it opens 30-60 days from when the parks re-open. But if WDW thinks it won't do well in those first months they could put it on the back burner until things get rolling again.

Where did you see this?
Blog Mickey posted an article on it again based on sources but its also not unexpected. I have heard similar things. Many people are reporting that Disney is delaying, and halting project funds. Defunding just means that, doesn't mean the project is not going to happen and will be scrapped, just means the money flow has stopped.

I thought it was almost finished. Seems a weird one to defund unless it was a lot further behind schedule then it appeared which is possible. .

Also have the aspect of it being operates by the Patina group - no idea what their financial position will be coming out of this, but have to factor in you need Disney to free up funds to finish construction and then the Patina group to be able to operate it (or maybe goes the other way in the Disney won't free up the funds until Patina demonstrates they will be able to operate it).

Also have the aspect of it being operates by the Patina group - no idea what their financial position will be coming out of this, but have to factor in you need Disney to free up funds to finish construction and then the Patina group to be able to operate it (or maybe goes the other way in the Disney won't free up the funds until Patina demonstrates they will be able to operate it).
Patina is owned by Delaware North, who has laid off basically their entire work force to preserve cash.

At the same time they are a private company owned by a multi-billionaire, so they *probably* can find cash if needed.

Blog Mickey posted an article on it again based on sources but its also not unexpected. I have heard similar things. Many people are reporting that Disney is delaying, and halting project funds. Defunding just means that, doesn't mean the project is not going to happen and will be scrapped, just means the money flow has stopped.

I guess I thought Space 220, minus the broken screen or whatever it is, was 95% done? Seems like one you would want to limp across the finish line.

I guess I thought Space 220, minus the broken screen or whatever it is, was 95% done? Seems like one you would want to limp across the finish line.
Yes. I am extremely skeptical of anyone - even a reliable source - who would claim that work will not immediately restart on this, ratatouille, or the Epcot spine once we’re back to normal.

That's what I understood too - that the only reason why it hadn't opened was because they were waiting for that custom, huge, space glass piece that had broken and they needed to figure out how to install it. Defunded probably means there's no one working on it now and no money allocated to anyone working on it. I do hope that when WDW gets ready to open back up, that they get back to working on it.

The piece of news on Blog Mickey was that projects that were far along would get the funding and those that weren't would get the ax.

Last edited:
Yes. I am extremely skeptical of anyone - even a reliable source - who would claim that work will not immediately restart on this, ratatouille, or the Epcot spine once we’re back to normal.
The spine is an interesting prospect. I think we see scaling back in that area. Obviously still work on it but likely not the plans that they had unveiled.

The spine is an interesting prospect. I think we see scaling back in that area. Obviously still work on it but likely not the plans that they had unveiled.
Yeah I can foresee changes, even drastic ones, but the idea that they'd stop work is not believable - the park isn't navigable in it's current form.

No one - not even Mickey Mouse knows anything right now. Everything depends on how and when things reopen. IF everything - meaning the economy - reopens well, then I'd bet that everything at WDW will get back on a reasonable schedule. If not? Well, who knows!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter