souvenir sand

Promomx2

DIS Veteran
I have a large collection of sands from all our vacations. We're taking our first disney cruise this march. How can I bring some sand home or is this strictly forbidden. I want to get some from Castaway Cay and Nassau.

We did a 7 night Western Caribbean in 2015. My wife had gotten small glass vials of sand from all the beaches we visited. No one ever gave a second look.......well, besides me. She also got sand from Vancouver and Victoria.

I have a large collection of sands from all our vacations. We're taking our first disney cruise this march. How can I bring some sand home or is this strictly forbidden. I want to get some from Castaway Cay and Nassau.
Of course you can. I've never thought to declare sand. Of course, I've never thought to declare the Cuban rum I bring back from my Caribbean voyages either.

MUN

I would bring some small zip lock baggies and put it in that. That's what i always do and have never had a problem. On a side note, it's fun to put some in a clear Christmas ornament ball and label on it when and where you got it. Makes a fun keepsake ornament :)

Wait, it's okay to bring sand from Castaway Cay, but don't let a seashell get in there? That makes no sense.

My last 2 cruises, I saw people filling gallon zip-loc bags with shells. I was informed by CMs that those would be confiscated at the security scanner.

My last 2 cruises, I saw people filling gallon zip-loc bags with shells. I was informed by CMs that those would be confiscated at the security scanner.

How did the CMs know people were filling the bags? Did they see them themselves and not say anything?

I doubt security confiscated them. The DCL Bahamian vendors at CC sell bagged shells and big individual shells. And, those are legal to buy and take on-board.

How did the CMs know people were filling the bags? Did they see them themselves and not say anything?

I doubt security confiscated them. The DCL Bahamian vendors at CC sell bagged shells and big individual shells. And, those are legal to buy and take on-board.

I told them people were filling the bags and asked if it was allowed. They said no and that security would confiscate them.

I told them people were filling the bags and asked if it was allowed. They said no and that security would confiscate them.

On different cruises, I've bought the shells in bags and sometimes individual shells from the vendors. No one has ever asked about them when I've gone thru security (they are always in my tote bag).

Last edited:
I've bought shells in bags from the vendors, and no one asked about them when I went thru security (they were in my tote bag).

Perhaps they look differently in the bags the vendors are selling, compared to the shells found on the beach in a zip-topped bag

A few times I've seen shells taken out of bags by security after they've gone through the X-ray and taken straight back off the ship.
But the bigger more obvious ones. Not the tiny ones that are the size of coins...

My husband brought a rock back from Alaska (some granite) and we were flagged at security in Vancouver because it was on his carry on. We were able to take it, but it held us up while they searched the whole suitcase.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter