Souvenir budget?

CherishL

Earning My Ears
My husband and I are taking our 5 year old to her first trip in October. We plan to get Disney gift cards for her to spend each day.
So my question is…How much do you allow yourself to spend on souvenirs? We haven’t been since 2016 so I am not sure what to expect price wise. Thanks!

So my question is…How much do you allow yourself to spend on souvenirs?
Zero. It all ends up in the yard sale a year later anyway. We want to focus on the experience, and we want the kids to focus on the experience.
We cut out all souvenirs when our kids were small, and they never had any problem with it. They realized that they went on MANY more vacations than any of their other friends, and one reason was that we didn't spend on souvenirs.

Last edited:

When our kids were little, they did a few chores to earn some disney money and I'd buy them Disney GC at target to save 5% and I'd usually do $30-$50 for each for the duration of the trip. They were so cautious of spending too much they'd usually end up leaving with money left on their GCs. I feel like you know that they'll ask for stuff so having a set limit from the get go alleviates so much asking since they have a limit.

Take my 2 cents for what it's worth but a souvenir a day seems excessive. At most I'd let her pick one or two things and be done with it. I just think the focus should be on the experiences on the trip. But I was never one for stuffed animals etc. YMMV. I think light up toys during a parade would be my weakness to purchase. So everyone has their thing that they are willing to buy. Pretty sure this wasn't helpful at all!

My husband and I are taking our 5 year old to her first trip in October. We plan to get Disney gift cards for her to spend each day.
So my question is…How much do you allow yourself to spend on souvenirs? We haven’t been since 2016 so I am not sure what to expect price wise. Thanks!
At that age I gave them Disney dollar. I don’t think they do those anymore but the gift cards is a good idea. They loved doing penny presses and getting autographs. the frisbee pizza fish and Paul and shovel lunch container from Poly were huge hit as were refillable mugs. I used to pack light sticks and some Dis stuff like treats, coloring books and small toy or plush so I wasn't so tempted in the shops. They were just as thrilled.

I don’t do a daily budget. I do a trip budget of maybe $50 per person. The only daily souvenirs we do are pressed pennies. Buy a pressed penny booklet on Amazon before your trip or buy one of the Disney ones in your hotel gift shop.

I also think a souvenir a day is a bit much. I also feel that will just lead to your kid buying something just for the sake of buying it and not necessarily something they actually really want.

When my kids were that age they probably got 1-2 souvenirs. It was usually some lightup toy during parades and another toy or stuffed animal (DD). If they saw something they absolutely had to have and I knew it was something they would continue using I would go ahead and get it. Last trip DD wanted a spirit jersey sweater. It was $75 and this was our first day/night there. I got it and she wore it a lot once we were back home. She loved it and after 4 years she finally donated it since she outgrew it.

Now I give a gift card and once the money is gone they can use their own money. Next trip I am giving DD16 $100 gift card. Some may think that's excessive but she's really thoughtful of what she buys and whatever she buys will get used (most likely clothes) or be something she keeps in her room for years (room decor). We also don't go to Disney that often. Once every 2-3 years so we splurge a tiny bit.

We never did a daily allowance. We discussed with our kids what they wanted, how many, if any of a particular type item we were willing to purchase and when they made the decision to buy items we indicated were limited, the discussion about additional items in that category was done. We didn't spend money on gist cards that may or may not have been used up and the kids knew that what they picked was final. They're both pretty deliberate about what souvenirs they pick on any vacation now.

When I was that age, my parents got my Disney ears and an autograph book for the character meals.

The problem with souvenirs is carrying them around. If you're staying on property, I think, they're bringing back the option to send them back to the hotel. If you're not staying on property, then you need to figure out where to put them.

Also, you might find them cheaper on shop disney than in the park.

When I was that age, my parents got my Disney ears and an autograph book for the character meals.

The problem with souvenirs is carrying them around. If you're staying on property, I think, they're bringing back the option to send them back to the hotel. If you're not staying on property, then you need to figure out where to put them.

Oh yes. We always do a one set of ears and when the kids were younger an autograph book that we don’t include into the souvenir count.

Is this true? Would love to see packages back to your hotel!

Our son learned to budget as a young kid at Disney. He carefully saved every birthday gift and extra cash for the annual trip. We gave him money for his trip and let him choose a ball cap and tee shirt on us. He would study all the goodies in the shops all week and then make his move.

Amazingly, he still has his Oakley sunglasses bought at DS when he was 13 (he's now 34) thought he is more of a Ray Ban guy now LOL! It was a great lesson.

Give him an allowance for the trip and explain the rules. Kids understand rules. Opportunities to earn a bit of extra change setting the table or raking leaves is another lesson. Well, I guess life is a lesson so make it work for both of you! Enjoy your trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter