Southwest, plus sized and DING

wendylovesdisney

DIS Veteran
Hi!
Okay I got a good DING fare but now am concerned when I check in it is going to turn into an episode from the SWA tv show when the plus sized person is accosted and made to buy an extra seat and otherwise made to look foolish.
I have never been questioned on any other carrier, but always need a seatbelt extender. I am traveling with my 4 year old but according to the site I just read, it states you are'nt supposed to figure in "sharing" with a small sized child. I have flown plenty of times on my own. I see larger men bigger then me all of the time. I still dread that something hideous will happen at check-in, but the DING fare was too good to pass up.

Any thoughts anyone?

You'll be fine. I would guess that you aren't supposed to figure the "sharing" in case you aren't seated together, but no one is going to make your 4yo sit alone.

I love that show, but I have never ever seen anything like it when I've flown SWA in real life.

I learned the hard way not to be too embarrassed to ask for the extender after a miserable trip with a too-tight belt! (I forget which plane it was, it was Delta though, on one leg the seats were at least an inch narrower and belts were several inches shorter than on the other legs of my trip. Yikes!)

Wendy, clarify something for me. Are you NOT buying your DD4 a ticket? Is she sharing a seat with you? First, I don't recommend it if that's your plan. I have a DD4 as well who has been flying since 18 months and I ALWAYS buy her her own seat. It's worth every penny. Saves my sanity as well as the sanity of my fellow travelers. She is able to move around more, color, read, play, whatever it may be to keep her occupied without disrupting other passengers, especially that person in front of you who will no doubt be kicked by little tyke feet.

On the touchy subject of your weight concerns...first, I do not want to come off as someone who can relate to your situation because I can't, but, I would like to offer you some advice from a life long athlete and current gym rat.

First, when is your trip? Take the time from now until then to get out there and give a whole hearted attempt at knocking some of that weight off. Just taking your beautiful little girls for a walk everynight will make a difference and get you ready for your LONG days and LONG walks around WDW.

Second, I would start to eat clean. This is something I have been reading about and trying and while I cannot stick to it 100% (I LOVE SWEETS), I try really hard to eat lots of steamed veggies, grilled chicken and chops (I don't like red meat), use very little salad dressing because I still cannot give it up (and I don't like fat free dressing) and drink lots & lots of water. I am working hard to cut out fast food (especially french fries) and soft drinks. I have 1 diet soda a day. And, my big give up....SWEET TEA. UGH, how I sometimes long for it. But, on the other hand, I honestly feel so much better and less bloated all the time. For snacks it's almonds, string cheese and air popped popcorn with no butter (I like pepper on popcorn...strange, but at least it's flavor).

And Wendy, if something is said to you at the airport, be kind. Don't lose your cool and "cop a 'tude", especially in front of your child. If you handle it calmly and with class, I bet you'll get much further than if you lost your temper and made a scene. Just a suggestion.

I sincerely hope that I haven't crossed the line with anything I've offered here and I do hope you have a wonderful trip and happy and healthy life.

I am buying her a seat, I don't think that anyone would let a child that age go without a seat of her own.
At any rate, has anyone ever seen someone pulled out of line?

Can't help you with SWA, but just wanted to say that your little girls are adorable! :goodvibes

As a Plus Size myself, I have never been a target of, your to heavy so please step out of this line. My extender fits fine and so do the seats. So don't worry yourself about things like that. Enjoy your air ride to WDW, and you and your DD have a great time.

I'm plus sized as well. Last year I had an awesome DING fare ($29 each way). I didn't book an extra seat because I didn't think of it. Then after reading things on here I decided to call and I got the extra seat (just in case) for the same price and it could be refunded if the flight wasn't booked. No one ever pulled me over just by looking at me. Turns out I didn't need the seat, just an extender and I was refunded as well. I weigh the same this year and I did not book another seat (although the room was nice). If they pull me over I know that I fit in the seat with no problem. Most of my weight is out front. If you're "bottom heavy" it could pose a problem. They judge by the arm rest. If it goes down no problem you are ok.

i've never seen someone spoken to, let alone accosted, about their weight in years of flying SWA (& we've seen many pooh-sized people).
i think that it would only be an issue if a person was inconviencing a neighboring passenger: since your "neighbor" will be your DD, it won't be an issue (& i'm sure she will be more than happy to share a bit of her seat with mom:goodvibes ).

enjoy your trip,
laurie s:)

Wendy, clarify something for me. Are you NOT buying your DD4 a ticket? Is she sharing a seat with you? First, I don't recommend it if that's your plan. I have a DD4 as well who has been flying since 18 months and I ALWAYS buy her her own seat. It's worth every penny. Saves my sanity as well as the sanity of my fellow travelers. She is able to move around more, color, read, play, whatever it may be to keep her occupied without disrupting other passengers, especially that person in front of you who will no doubt be kicked by little tyke feet.

On the touchy subject of your weight concerns...first, I do not want to come off as someone who can relate to your situation because I can't, but, I would like to offer you some advice from a life long athlete and current gym rat.

First, when is your trip? Take the time from now until then to get out there and give a whole hearted attempt at knocking some of that weight off. Just taking your beautiful little girls for a walk everynight will make a difference and get you ready for your LONG days and LONG walks around WDW.

Second, I would start to eat clean. This is something I have been reading about and trying and while I cannot stick to it 100% (I LOVE SWEETS), I try really hard to eat lots of steamed veggies, grilled chicken and chops (I don't like red meat), use very little salad dressing because I still cannot give it up (and I don't like fat free dressing) and drink lots & lots of water. I am working hard to cut out fast food (especially french fries) and soft drinks. I have 1 diet soda a day. And, my big give up....SWEET TEA. UGH, how I sometimes long for it. But, on the other hand, I honestly feel so much better and less bloated all the time. For snacks it's almonds, string cheese and air popped popcorn with no butter (I like pepper on popcorn...strange, but at least it's flavor).

And Wendy, if something is said to you at the airport, be kind. Don't lose your cool and "cop a 'tude", especially in front of your child. If you handle it calmly and with class, I bet you'll get much further than if you lost your temper and made a scene. Just a suggestion.

I sincerely hope that I haven't crossed the line with anything I've offered here and I do hope you have a wonderful trip and happy and healthy life.

Personally I think you did cross the line. The OP didn't ask for your advise about her lifestyle, she asked if anyone had experience with being pulled out of line on SWA for being heavy. Until you completly study and understand the causes and factors of obesity I don't think a self proclaimed athlete and gym rat should pretend to know how an overweight person should change their life. As a person who is obese I can tell you that you don't know me or why I'm heavy and your advice while well meaning is insulting.

OP - I've been pulled out of line. The first question they asked was "are you traveling with someone?" So the part about "sharing" a seat is not overlooked, at least not by the SWA person who talked to me. I told them I was traveling with my DH who is not tiny (like a child would be). Second I told them I understood the rules and could put the air rests down comfortably so I did not meet the criteria for a customer of size. They let me get on the plane, give me my extender, and nothing else was said about the issue.

Since then I've gained more weight and chose on my own to purchase two seats. I've enjoyed the space and the ability to pre-board with the medical people. It's actually made Southwest one of my favorite airlines. Right now I'm losing weight and will travel in June on SWA. I haven't purchased a second ticket yet and am going to wait until I get closer and see what size I am.

Be honest with yourself. If you can sit in your own seat and put the arm rests down then don't buy the extra ticket; if you can't then do buy the extra. Either way you'll be happy you either fit fine or get more room.

It really seems from reading their "customer of size" pages that the armrest is the main issue. Since you stated that you don't have a problem on other airlines, I figure you can lower those armrests, yes? I know SW feels small, but I also know that my hubby who was 340 at 5'10, with a big belly and broad thick back, was definitely able to lower the seatrests.

I've never seen SW employees be anything but sweet, so I wouldn't let that episode of the show play many more times in your head before your flight.

And to be honest, if you go back and watch the episode, it was the customer that was causing all the fuss. The SW reps were polite, but firm, about the situation.

What I do, if I'm not familiar with the seat size in question, is go to one of the websites like seatguru that gives the seat width for different airlines. Then I find an armchair with the same measurement. I can get a pretty good idea of how comfortable a seat will be doing this. They are making some of those seats sooooo small these days!

I sincerely apologize to you too Shelly and anyone else who feels as you do. I wasn't trying to impose on anyone's lifestyle. I am sorry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter