Southwest has opened flights til Sept 12th !

MCazer

Unofficial Travel Agent to My Friends!
Southwest has opened flights til Sept 12th ! Not good for me, but probably for those who are doing the free dining plan!

Thank you so much for posting this! I booked my flight there, but now I have to wait for the schedule to be released (again) to book my flight back home. Thanks!

I saw their schedule had opened up first thing this morning, but they're not offering any bargains for my August trip. Normally I would have booked first thing, but this time I'm hedging my bet and waiting for either a good deal via e-mail or for them to otherwise offer better fares. I won't wait for a DING however, because that won't probably come until too close to the time of the trip for my liking. I won't book for $261/rt though - that's higher than I paid over school vacation week at the height of high season in February, and the end of August should be considered off-season for Florida. Time will tell.

Glad I saw your post. :thumbsup2

Labor day weekend flights are filling fast for my market, but I was able to get pretty decent times (not to/from Orlando)

Thanks for the heads up!

gottaluvdis said:
I saw their schedule had opened up first thing this morning, but they're not offering any bargains for my August trip. Normally I would have booked first thing, but this time I'm hedging my bet and waiting for either a good deal via e-mail or for them to otherwise offer better fares. I won't wait for a DING however, because that won't probably come until too close to the time of the trip for my liking. I won't book for $261/rt though - that's higher than I paid over school vacation week at the height of high season in February, and the end of August should be considered off-season for Florida. Time will tell.

I'm doing the same thing. I've never paid more than $110 to fly to Orlando in the summer and usually fly for less than $100...so not going to book now at over $200. I know they'll have a special later.

Im in the same boat. We usally get a ding for $59 each way from Kansas City to Orlando. Right now, it's $142 each way. I can get $89 each way from another airline, but that's still about $240 higher for our family of four. So, what to do. Is everyone holding out for a ding? It seems kind of late for the dings to only be going through May 31, or is it just me thinking that? Tink

I was impatiently waiting for SWA to open up their dates until last week. :badpc:

We have 3 RR awards that we would have spent for this summer's trip. But I got so frustrated waiting that I ended up booking with 2 different airlines (AirTran going to MCO for $79 ea. and USAir :scared: coming back for $99 ea.). Arrgggh! I really needed specific dates and with the cruise, I couldn't book a flight returning prior to noon on a Saturday. So, I bit the bullet and booked the flights. Ouch! Paying for airfare hurts!

At least by paying with DH's Diner's Club card, I can convert his points to pay for the tickets. They just instituted a new reward system. You book your travel and pay with the Diner's Club card. Then when the charge for the tickets posts to your account, you call them and have them convert your points at a rate of 100pts. = $1.25 towards the cost of the airfare. And you can book any airline you want, any dates, any flights. I've got to say that I like that better than trying to book with FF miles. The flights will cost me about 16,400 pts. per RT :teacher: . 1RR award costs 18,000 pts. I actually made out better than by trying to use the RR award on SWA.

For once, I actually made the right choice. :cool1:

For those of you who booked your flights on SWA, keep an eye :magnify: on those DINGs! If there's a fare decrease for your dates, you can rebook at the lower fare with no change fee or penalty. SWA then credits your account for the $$ difference. You have up to a year to use those $$ credits.

Thanks so much, I have been waiting for August to open up for a month. Can I get a credit if the airfare does go down at a later time?

mitchwebb said:
Thanks so much, I have been waiting for August to open up for a month. Can I get a credit if the airfare does go down at a later time?

I just booked our flights for Sept. 1-10, even though I'm disappointed in the ticket prices. It's going to cost us double what it's costing us to go in May. I knew prices were going to rise but I didn't expect them to double.

I'm going to check Southwest's site for possible monies off if prices do go down(which I doubt they will).

Either way, I'd rather buy now than have no seats available later.

mitchwebb said:

Yes, you can get credit if the fares go lower. I would suggest calling SW directly if you end up in this situation rather than trying to do it online, because you have to cancel the original trip first in order to use those monies for re-booking, at which time you lose your original seats and run the risk that there won't be seats at the reduced fare when you go to re-book. The credit you get can be used for up to 1 year (and even longer if you call them - they can issue you a voucher for extended time). The credit can also be given to anyone you chose - it's transferable if for some reason you can't use it yourself. There are also no change fees involved.

I'm still holding out for lower summer fares. DING fares have been coming out about 1 month prior to dates of travel (e.g., travel through the end of May DINGs are out right now; if you're looking for July DINGs, you'll see them in June etc.). I figure if not enough people book for the week I'm looking, they'll drop the fares either online, via e-mail , or eventually via DING. It's all a big supply and demand game.

gottaluvdis said:
Yes, you can get credit if the fares go lower. I would suggest calling SW directly if you end up in this situation rather than trying to do it online, because you have to cancel the original trip first in order to use those monies for re-booking, at which time you lose your original seats and run the risk that there won't be seats at the reduced fare when you go to re-book.
Thanks...this information soothes my nerves somewhat as I just checked Southwest's ticket info. and didn't find any info. pertaining to this scenario.

You can get a credit if the fare comes down. But if everyone books at higher fare what incentive is there for SW to lower fare????

I was glad to see they finally put the fares up but I was so disappointed!

I was so shocked to see how high the prices for PVD to MCO are. I am going Aug. 27-31, it's usually $59 internet special or $79 and then there are the higher priced fares, now it starts @ $122. :confused3 I understand gas has gone way up, DBF works for an airline, but to go up $63 thats a bit much. They are now more expensive than Delta. :rolleyes2

I ended up booking with jetblue for $89 each way. I guess this is a warning that Southwest isn't the cheapest anymore. Im really disappointed by this. sorry I know this was a bit of a rant and ot.

I am waiting for the end of Sept to open up. My plans are for Sept 24th until Oct 6th. I am hoping the rates go down though, they have been higher than normal, even the DING rates are not that great. Peggie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!