Southwest EBCI

cndmama05

Mouseketeer
We are flying out of BUF to MCO. As I am already very anxious about the whole no seat assignment thing, our return flight is booked with Jet blue. I would book both flights with Jet blue but the times don't work with our toddler. So I am looking at buying a one way from BUF to MCO with Southwest. Being that we are flying out of BUF and going to Orlando, anyone with experience with that route? Would you suggest for me to buy the EBCI? We are DH, myself and 2 DD (ages 15 months and 5). It would be pretty tough to have to have split up for the seating.

We are flying out of BUF to MCO. As I am already very anxious about the whole no seat assignment thing, our return flight is booked with Jet blue. I would book both flights with Jet blue but the times don't work with our toddler. So I am looking at buying a one way from BUF to MCO with Southwest. Being that we are flying out of BUF and going to Orlando, anyone with experience with that route? Would you suggest for me to buy the EBCI? We are DH, myself and 2 DD (ages 15 months and 5). It would be pretty tough to have to have split up for the seating.
I've only flown SW a handful of times so I am by no means an expert. Because of the ages of your children you will be able to use "Family Boarding" which is just after "A" group. You shouldn't have any problem getting seats together.

Hopefully someone will jump in here shortly to confirm this info is correct.

If you are anxious, I would just buy the EBCI and not worry. We always buy it and have always boarded in A before family boarding. Sometimes there are alot of families lined up for family boarding. That seems stressful to me.

You would not want to spend that money for early boarding. You will have the equivalent of B1 boarding as it is. As you only have 3 seats you can all be on one side as each has 3 seats. You will be in the approx middle of the plane, likely a little further back than that. I'm been on Southwest many times, this exact flight from Buffalo only once and paying would have been terrible on that one as the plane was only half full, but that was because it was pretty late. You should assume a full plane.

I don't have experience with that flight path but frankly each flight can be different due to types of passengers.

You really have two options:
Purchase EBCI
Board as Family Boarding

Know that EBCI does not in anyway guarantee you an A boarding..it does happen and to some people a lot but it isn't a guarantee and SWA already tells you this.

Here's the description for EBCI from SWA website:
upload_2017-2-22_20-18-6.png

Here's the description for Family Boarding from SWA website:
upload_2017-2-22_20-20-42.png

Don't forget you also have people who are A-listers who have priority over EBCI.

I fly the earliest direct flight out of Buffalo. There are always at least 6-7 families minimum lined up for family boarding. Being at the end of that line will add quite a few spots before you too.

I have never heard them cancel family boarding. We do EBCI & have always been an A boarding spot. I have never heard flight attendants ask for someone to switch seats for families to sit together. And the flights I have been on have been sold out. So you might be OK without it. But if it is really bothering you, you should probably get it.

We recently went from Philly to MCO round trip on southwest. DH, myself and 2 DDs (ages 4 and 2). I was nervous about the seating too but both ways I checked in on the app at the minute I could. We all recieved A boarding positions. On the way home we were at the very end of A, right before family boarding, and the whole back half of the plane was still completely empty. If you don't mind sitting in the middle-back of the plane, you will probably be okay even if you have to board during family boarding. Both flights were very full if not sold out and there were multiple families each way as well.

I fly BUF to MCO twice a year or more and have been for the last 12 or so years. I would not worry about EBCI unless you know that you can't check in online right at the 24 hr mark. If you can do that then don't spend the extra money. You can use the family boarding group if you don't get an A spot. Just line up early for family boarding. You can ask the ground agents where that will be once you are at the gate. In BUF SW uses gates 16/17/18 and with 16/18 there is a wall that the families line up along. Regardless or what part of the family line you are in (the front of it or the end) you have the equivalent of a B boarding spot and you will have no issues at all getting seats together.

If you happen to get an A spot when you check in online, use that A spot because it's a better position then family boarding.

I've only flown SW a handful of times so I am by no means an expert. Because of the ages of your children you will be able to use "Family Boarding" which is just after "A" group. You shouldn't have any problem getting seats together.

Hopefully someone will jump in here shortly to confirm this info is correct.
I totally agree with this. We only fly SW and this statement is true I wouldn't bother buying the EBCI. You'll be able to board between A group and B group. You'll be able to get seats together. No worries.
When you get to gate ask someone where "family boarding" lines up and when you should line up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter