Southwest Credit vs. Refund

My return trip tickets went down from my purchasing them on Tuesday resulting in a $90 credit. I called SW to request a refund to my credit card and I was told since it was a non-refundable fare, I could not get a refund, only a credit. I was kind of bummed but I will see if anyone I know is going to be flying SW in the next year and will buy it from me.

Did you call the 800# or the cust service #. You should be calling 214-792-4223.

Did you call the 800# or the cust service #. You should be calling 214-792-4223.

UPDATE - I called the 800 # this morning and spoke to a great customer service rep and they refunded the difference back to my credit card.:cool1:

After reading this thread I thought I'd give a request for a refund a shot, too. No such luck this morning, but I was given the 214-792-4223 number and will try tomorrow for a refund there. Hope it works out...

Anyone remember who they spoke to? Jimmy at SW was very nice, but he was not budging!

FYI - I had credits that I knew I wouldn't be able to use before they expired. I sold them on e-bay. I got very close to face value for these. Very simple transaction since you just e-mail the winning bidder certain information, nothing personal.

I tried for a refund today on $500 of travel funds I have from our Xmas trip. No luck - I called both numbers. I wasn't too concerned as I was planning on using the funds for a July trip. Only problem is that the funds expire 4/9 and I didn't realize that I couldn't extend that date until 4/9. I wanted to book the July trip today as the prices on my flights dropped.

Also, I was told that my credit is attached to 2 tickets so the extension price would be $100 rather than $50. Any way around this?

Thanks for any advice!

I had the same message as Connie when I called about my funds to both numbers. Kinda annoyed about the assignment to two tickets so I would lose $100 off of a $240 credit...so I'm going to have to find a way to offload the credit, whether it be ebay or via someone here who would be travelling before May 30. The person would not budge...I'm considering calling one more time before I venture into the unknown-to-me world of ebay!

I am going to call back tomorrow as I am confused about the 2 ticket issue. I only have one confirmation number and that trip was for our family of four, so I have no idea how the magic number became 2. I would think it would be one (conf. number) or four (passengers).

I've read on here about the 2 ticket issue before, but I haven't personally encountered it. I'm surprised you don't have a 4 ticket issue as I thought what I'd read was that the $ is assigned to however many people were on the res. But, I've also read from some dissers that you need to then take that TTF, book a flight (any flight) under one person's name. So, you may have to do some searching to get a flight at/close to your TTF amount. Then, cancel it. You'll have a new TTF with 1 person assigned so should only be $50 to extend. Now, I've never done this myself, but I've read about others on here doing it successfully.

Credit of $4... LOL! But $4 is $4 off our next Disney flight in August.

The flight went from $75 to $73 so I am happy! Now IF a ding shows up can I get a credit off the ding fare if I call them or rebook?

Thanks!

Well, it keeps getting worse for me. Not only do I have to wait until April 9th to extend my funds, I was told today that I have to wait for a paper voucher to arrive via snail mail in order to use my funds (7-10 days)!

FYI - I had credits that I knew I wouldn't be able to use before they expired. I sold them on e-bay. I got very close to face value for these. Very simple transaction since you just e-mail the winning bidder certain information, nothing personal.

This is kind of a OT, but I'm just curious what you listed it under on ebay? I'm in a very similar situation where our fares dropped by more than half and it'd be great to have more money for Disney! :goodvibes

I don't recall exactly, but look up southwest airline on e-bay and see where other people list them. there are always credits for sale.

I tried for a refund today on $500 of travel funds I have from our Xmas trip. No luck - I called both numbers. I wasn't too concerned as I was planning on using the funds for a July trip. Only problem is that the funds expire 4/9 and I didn't realize that I couldn't extend that date until 4/9. I wanted to book the July trip today as the prices on my flights dropped.

Thanks for any advice!

We too, have a large credit that expires in Aug and thought we could use it for my DH trip in Sept this year, so when i checked to see that Sept rates will be available in a few weeks to book til Oct, i checked in to get the extension and was told they won't do it til it expires. However, that would be less then 3 weeks, plus if you have to wait til they offer in the mail, i defintely won't get it in time to use? We are in Canada, so our mail will take longer. Has anyone been successful in extending it early? I am willing to give them all the details of DH trip and we would still need to pay the difference.

I guess I spoke to early.

The first time I called the 800 number, the lady said no problem, she can do it. I had 2 confirmation numbers and 1 was credited. Called back the 800 number and was told to call customer relations. Duly did that and after a few minutes was told that can be done and give it a week to 10 days to show up on my credit card. Still nothing. Called back last Thursday and luckily for me I remembered the name of the person I spoke to initially, but she was on the phone. The lady I talked to, said no, can't be done and the
1st one was done as a goodwill gesture. OK, will ask the original person to call you back as I insisted she said it could be done. Still no call.

Here's the kicker - the credit is 150 bucks and I was told to extend it, it would cost 50 bucks per passenger. We were 3 of us:sad1:

I'm going to call back if I don't hear from them today.

thanks to this thread, I actually took a chance and called SWA. To my surprise, they gave me a refund, no questions asked at all:cool1: Our trip was last September, to boot. Though we are seriously thinking of going again this year, I just like the flexbility of going when I want and not trying to book before the refund expires etc.

Thanks once again to the OP for bringing up this topic. You guys and SWA rocks:woohoo:

What did you say when you called? We booked a flight in September for November and we have a $120 credit. The problem is we aren't traveling until October this year and I don't want to loose our credit. TIA

What did you say when you called? We booked a flight in September for November and we have a $120 credit. The problem is we aren't traveling until October this year and I don't want to loose our credit. TIA

I am getting disappointed with SWA. The 1st time I called the 800 number, and mentioned that I have a credit and I heard that I can receive the money back on my cc as I did not make any changes to my flights, just that the prices went down. Lady on the phone said no problem, can do that. Next thing I know, only 1 confirmation number is credited (I had 2). Called back the 800 number and told me that I have to call customer relations. I did and the lady, after 1st saying don't know why they did it, then said, oh no problem, I can see why they did it etc, so expect the 2nd credit on your cc in about a week to 10 days. Nothing showed up. Call customer relations again, another lady said same thing 'don't know why they did it' but you are not entitiled to a refund, they did it as a good will gesture. OK, so you gave me back one but not the other and if I had the full 300 bucks I might have been tempted to re-book within the 12 month period, now with just half of that, not so tempting. Ask for the 1st person I spoke to, she was not available and left a message for her to call me back. Still no call - from last Thursday. I am at work during their times so can't really call long distance.

Good luck to you...........hope you get it back.

My husband called and they said we could only get a credit. They must of changed the policy because we did get a refund back to our credit card 2 years ago when the flight times and dates stayed the same only the price went down. It is funny that some people seem to have luck while others don't?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter