Southwest Connection at Midway

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Rich M, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Rich M

Rich M Mouseketeer

My connecting flight for Southwest is at Midway in December. Should I be worried about weather delays or getting stuck in Chicago? We are going Dec 7th.

2. brittanidp

brittanidp Mouseketeer

I fly out of MDW all the time and usually to MCO :) Chicago usually doesn't get large amounts of snow until after the new year (usually) and Chicago airports, especially MDW, are so used to clearing out the snow that it shouldn't be a huge issue. If that were the best flight for my plans, I wouldn't hesitate, but I could be biased since I live here and don't have an option!

3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. Rich M

Rich M Mouseketeer

:rotfl2:

brittanidp likes this.
  5. brittanidp

brittanidp Mouseketeer

It's true! But midway is a huge southwest hub and has multiple flights to mco a day so if something were to be delayed/canceled you'd have a great chance of still making it out!

6. Jestocost

Jestocost DIS Veteran

Are weather delays common at Midway in December? Yes.

Should you worry about them? Unless there's something you think you can do about the weather, I don't see the point of worrying.

7. Rich M

Rich M Mouseketeer

Wondering if I should move my flight to a different connecting city or not? Thats why I am asking

8. brittanidp

brittanidp Mouseketeer

I'd say no, Midway is probably the biggest hub outside of Houston Hobby for SW and you could get delayed anywhere for anything, not just the weather. Your chances of getting another flight out of midway will be better than just about any other city. PP is right in that we can't control the weather, or the flight crew, or the plane maintenance or the weather in other cities affecting your connection or the weather where you live so there's going to be a chance of a delay/cancellation no matter when or where you fly through/out of. I wouldn't worry about it unless I had to closer to the time, southwest will let you move your flight if needed

9. lost*in*cyberspace

lost*in*cyberspace DIS Veteran

I fly a lot and there is no city in the world where I have experienced more weather delays than in Chicago. Yes, you should worry, but what can you do, except monitor weather close to your flight day and have alternate plans in mind?

10. Rich M

Rich M Mouseketeer

Thank you all for your input. I know a lot of it is out of our hands but we all want to try to have a perfect vacation.

11. Soarin4us

Soarin4us Earning My Ears

If you have a comparable choice, in terms of price and timing, avoiding Midway in the winter would be extremely advisable.

12. rigs32

rigs32 DIS Veteran

In the winter, it's not just your connecting city that can create a delay. Your first flight (home to Midway) can be delayed because of your city or because that airplane is coming from someplace that's experiencing weather. And then even if Chicago doesn't have any snow, your airplane from Chicago to MCO might be coming from a city that does have a weather delay.

Flightaware lets your track your flights and it has a button for "where is my plane now" that can track your aircraft back to its current position. I use it when I fly, especially when I'm not on a plane that spent the night in my city, to see how likely a delay may be. It prompted me to follow up with my rental car company in May to make sure that I'd still be able to get a car even though my delay made me arrive *after* they were scheduled to close. A phone call set my mind at ease that we'd have wheels even though we were arriving 3 hours later than expected.

13. Rich M

Rich M Mouseketeer

Thank you for that information. I am flying in a day earlier so hopefully if its a delay it will just get us in early. I will monitor Southwest and see if something else comes up. There is a flight connecting in San Diego but if the plane is coming from somewhere else I might run into problems there also.

14. sam_gordon

sam_gordon DIS Veteran

I learned a while ago, there is no such thing as a "perfect" vacation. SOMETHING will go wrong, and the best thing to do is just roll with it, not let it ruin the vacation.

As far as the question in the OP, what are the other options?

15. Rich M

Rich M Mouseketeer

The other flights I see right now connect in San Diego or Denver but get into Orlando after 10 PM. My flight right now gets in at 4 PM.

16. Fangorn

Fangorn Mouseketeer

Sounds like you're coming from the west coast. What is your airport of origin? We fly out of Portland. SW is our #1 airline and we've done pretty much every possible connection SW has ever had between PDX and MCO. MDW and winter should be avoided if at all possible for cross country trips. Denver is a much better option (it's a secondary SW hub) with many flights to MCO daily. San Diego obviously won't have weather delays locally. Flights are more limited there, and there could be delays due to aircraft coming in from areas, but that risk isn't too bad, since most flights in/out of San Diego will be West Coast/Dallas/Florida. We actually did the MCO/PDX trip via SAN one December instead of via MDW. It was a longer flight, but worth it for the peace of mind of knowing we weren't going to have issues in MDW (which would have been the case on that particular day, as there were serious delays in that part of the country).

Steve

17. Rich M

Rich M Mouseketeer

I am coming from SFO. We choose this flight as it was the only one to get us there in the afternoon. We are traveling with an infant so we wanted to try to get in earlier. Guess unless another flight comes up we will have no choice but to take the chance.

18. Minnesota!

Minnesota! Shoeless in Minnesota

We have flown through MDW many, many times...at all times of the year. Never have had a weather issue. Like MSP, I think MDW/ORD are ones that can better handle winter weather. I would rather fly through there in a snowstorm than through ATL, for instance.

Does it happen? You betcha. But, they know how to deal with it.

Fingers crossed for no weather issues for you :)

brittanidp and Rich M like this.
  19. Fangorn

Fangorn Mouseketeer

Personally, I'd do the 5:45 flight via Denver instead of MDW. Leave later, arrive earlier. Connections in Denver are much easier than Midway. And 40 minutes less travel with an infant would be a good thing. And Denver knows how to deal with snow too.

Steve

20. scrapquitler

scrapquitler DIS Veteran

Sure, there could be weather related delays, but you could be flying from Dallas to Miami and have that same winter weather at Midway affect your flight because of how the system works. So why worry??

21. Rich M

Rich M Mouseketeer

Thank you for your help. I will keep an eye on the price and if it drops I will do that. My flight coming home is through Denver.