Southwest? Charge to extend credits?

zumbergc

DIS Veteran
I called southwest to find out if they could extend some credit that expires in a couple days.

I thought I'd read here that they would extend it free of charge for a few months to use. I'm flying in sept, so I'd thought I'd give it a try.

They said there is a $50.00 fee for extending the credit now.
Not of use to me since my credits are around $25.

Not fun to loose the credit :(
If anyone has heard anything else ?

TIA,
Connie

This is news to me...try calling back and ask if they will just issue you LUV vouchers (they are good for 6 months and work like ticketless travel funds)....They sent me LUV vouchers about 4 weeks ago without a fee.

I called southwest to find out if they could extend some credit that expires in a couple days.

I thought I'd read here that they would extend it free of charge for a few months to use. I'm flying in sept, so I'd thought I'd give it a try.

They said there is a $50.00 fee for extending the credit now.
Not of use to me since my credits are around $25.

Not fun to loose the credit :(
If anyone has heard anything else ?

TIA,
Connie

Asking for LUV vouchers sounds like a good 'work around'. I'd call again and see what kind of a response you get to a general question like, "I've got $25 in credits that expire soon. I'm travelling in September. Is there anything you can do to help me out?" That way, the SWA rep isn't pigeon holed into looking at just one option (eg paying to extend the credit), but is being asked if they can help you find an answer to your problems.

If you have difficulty with reservations, perhaps try Customer Service?

Good luck!

I did read on here a few days ago that charging the $50 to extend the credit is a new policy that just went into affect. I was disappointed as well.

I knew their policy was to charge $50 to extend a reward for another 12 months, but I hadn't heard that this was extended to TTFs, too. :eek:
(I may have to tamp down my SW :love: ............:sad2: )

I had one voucher $75 transfered to a Luv V just before the switch and another that needs to be now but I may just have to eat that one as it's only $45.

The thing that I got burnt on is I used a few different TTvs on several flights with cash to offset. Well when they reduced the flight it went back to the Old expire date not a new one and could not get a cash refund like on the flights that were just cash. Now I will use all my TTvs on one flight and just cash on the others.

News to me also........like Grammy I knew they charged $50 to extend RR awards, but, I was told last year (around this time actually) when I called to ask about extending TTF's until my trip in October that by the Fall 2006 there would be no more paper vouchers issued, but, everything would be done electronically, including any extensions issued. When they did mine, they issued me a paper voucher which I had to send back AFTER my trip in October was completed in order to receive the credit for that trip on my credit card, but, there was no charge for it.

I ran into this new policy also. I called on 7/2 to ask for an extension for a credit expiring 9/22 and was told it is now $50. The policy started 7/1!! They will still issue the 6 month ext. via a LUV voucher but now you pay $50 per ticket. I have credits of $216 and apparently they came from 2 different tickets so I'll be charged $100. The only other idea I had was selling them on ebay. There are some for sale there now. Especially if it's less than $50, you might get something on a bid.

If I have a reservation for 5 people that I had to cancel and would like extended time does that mean I will have to pay $250? Or is the reservation treated as one because I could not cancel separately?:confused3

If I have a reservation for 5 people that I had to cancel and would like extended time does that mean I will have to pay $250? Or is the reservation treated as one because I could not cancel separately?:confused3

I'd bet it's based on the reservation confirmation code itself -- when you cancelled, did you get one code (eg BUFZDF as a fictional example), or 5? If you cancelled them all together and got one credit /reservation number, then you'd have to pay one $50 fee to extend the credit further.
For five people, it might be worth it.

wow I guess I lucked out. I had just called and was given LUV vouchers for over 300.00 because we would not be traveling until November. I have always dealt directly with customer service. They have been great to deal with. My only concern now is that if I get a ding fare I may actually lose out . Wow I guess they have jumped on the other airlines bandwagon with the new policy that stinks!

I don't believe you would be charged anything extra just by cancelling and using the TTF's within the allowed timeframe SW has established (I think it's still one year from date of the original booking....not the date of travel, but, the date you originally booked) and only if you request an extension to that timeframe are you charged $50.......can someone confirm if this is correct?

That is correct, you can get a 1 year extension from the time you first book your reservation. You just cancel online and get a new confirmation # to rebook at another time. But if you want to extend your credit past the 1 year date you are given LUV vouchers (by request only) and now charged $50 per ticket. I had 1 confirmation # but 2 people booked and told I would be charged $100.

IMHO this now makes the whole ding program completely worthless unless you will be flying again within one year (from booking date).

At least previously you had a slight chance to make your money back from a ding - either from a refund or from using the TT credit/LUV voucher but now any savings from a ding are lost after a year and you have to fly again to get the savings. Another reason SWA is not my first choice of airlines.

IMHO this now makes the whole ding program completely worthless unless you will be flying again within one year (from booking date).

At least previously you had a slight chance to make your money back from a ding - either from a refund or from using the TT credit/LUV voucher but now any savings from a ding are lost after a year and you have to fly again to get the savings. Another reason SWA is not my first choice of airlines.

I have to say your correct .

The problem is you now have to wait for the flights to be released.

Then book at that price a few months from travel.

Then when reduced it's now just 1 year from booking the Luv voucher normally gave you until 1 year from flights when you normally would be taking your next vacation.

My June flight (every year weeklong trip) normally open if Feb. When we would get a Ding or even just a reduced flight (never worried about Credit as we were always going to be flying again) the 1 year would give us the next Feb and the 6 month extension would give us until Aug. This always worked out as we always had credits to burn .

Like I stated in other threads this is the direction we are going in on everything and they are fastly closing the bargans (loopholes) for smart consumers.

We will be looking at others as well with this and have been just on SWA for the past 15 flights or more.

just a followup

I usually am never quite 100% correct and I wish I wasn't this time.

Right now I am out $160 TT credits that expire 08/07/07 I will have to explore my options. But of course I digress.

To me ding is sort of a shell game. You can either win or you can lose. Say you book at $99 but get a ding for $49 and are not eligible for a refund. What becomes of the $50 credit? You could re-book, well you really then have no other choice, and the booking has to be within one year from the orig date of booking. But what happens if you book again with southwest and a lower fare comes along from southwest or better yet another airline? You may never see ANY savings from the ding and may in fact lose money in the final tally.

The value of a ding has now been greatly diminished IMHO.

Yes and I guess the bottom line is can you live with the orignal price you paid. Because of these changes thats what you might end up with if you can't use the TTVs within the year of booking.

I would think this will open the E-bay market for the selling of Dings but even with that the savings would have to offset the possible sale/Ding price.

We have been starting no higher then $79 OW and I can live with that if I need to.Yes I loved my $36 flights I have had and enjoyed all the $50 but $80 or $90 still beats driving for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter