Southwest cancelled flight PHL to MCO

PatMcDuck

DIS Veteran
I guess they are revising schedules, only one nonstop now on 9-24 (a Friday). I think mine was 8:25 am, now I am on a flight with a layover in Atlanta. I will probably not accept that. (oddy still 4 nonstops on Saturday 9-25). My return is still the same.

So check your flights.

Yup my direct down on the 9/15 was canceled. I got a layover in Chicago. With a 4 yr old with ADHD I was NOT happy. I did a lot of refreshing and was eventually able to get on the only non-stop that day which is 7am so not great but I'll take it. It's a dvc trip so I can't shift my dates at all at this point. It's frustrating that they can just change your flights to something not at all similar to what you booked and there's not much you can do about it.

I just checked ours for Saturday and we are still good on our non-stops. Thanks for the heads-up.

Sorry for your frustration.
This past June, my non-stop flight to MCO was changed to an earlier time, still non-stop.
My return flight was changed from a non-stop to a layover. No other non-stops available that day or day after.
I wish the airlines weren’t allowed to do that. It can be super frustrating.

Yup my direct down on the 9/15 was canceled. I got a layover in Chicago. With a 4 yr old with ADHD I was NOT happy. I did a lot of refreshing and was eventually able to get on the only non-stop that day which is 7am so not great but I'll take it. It's a dvc trip so I can't shift my dates at all at this point. It's frustrating that they can just change your flights to something not at all similar to what you booked and there's not much you can do about it.
Very frustrating (also doing a DVC - rental - and this time of year). I haven't experienced this happening often with SW (not that I fly a ton) - wondering if this feels more than usual for folks who are more familiar.

Very frustrating (also doing a DVC - rental - and this time of year). I haven't experienced this happening often with SW (not that I fly a ton) - wondering if this feels more than usual for folks who are more familiar.
I usually fly southwest a few times a year and this is very abnormal. I once had my home flight canceled at the last minute which they said was due to weather on another leg of the flight. Other than that I've only ever had my flight times shift maybe 15-20 minutes, not completely canceled like this.

Yup, same scenario here on Southwest. Our 7:00am non-stop on 9/2 from MHT to MCO was switched to 5:40am with a stop over in Chicago (only non-stop was at like 1:00pm getting in much later). Found one that at least didn't go out of the way and stopped in Baltimore. Still getting there 1 1/2 hours later than planned. I recently noticed - No email - that our return non-stop on 9/8 had also changed. We were supposed to leave at 3:00pm, moved us to depart at 10:00am! Not happy about that. Contemplating switching to a later evening - 6:00pm - with a stop in Baltimore again just so we don't have to leave so early. Funny how you want to get there early and leave later. lol 1st time this has ever happened with southwest (to this extreme anyway - had changes of 1/2 hour, etc, but not hours like these changes) Sorry for everyone's pains - I'm feeling it with you. :(

It is ok I just booked one 3 hours later (so no parks on arrival day but that is also ok, it is a long trip). My husbands just changed from DCA, it is earlier now and will not work out, but I will switch him to Jet Blue.

My panic was partially about the rental car, whether changing the pick up time would double my rate, the rates are nuts. Nope, it actually went down a few $$.

It's frustrating that they can just change your flights to something not at all similar to what you booked and there's not much you can do about it.
Sure there is, you are free to accept a full refund of what you paid and choose another carrier. SW has been this way for at least the last six months, and to some extent even before that.
I wish the airlines weren’t allowed to do that. It can be super frustrating.
If the airlines weren't allowed to make business decisions to cancel, delay and consolidate flights, would you like to take a guess how much tickets would be? The obligation of the airline is to get you from point A to point B, the fact you may have to make a stop along the way isn't part of it.

Despite what’s frequently opined here, layovers are not the end of the world. It’s always easier to go from point A to point B, but that’s not always realistic with how complex airline travel is.

Despite what’s frequently opined here, layovers are not the end of the world. It’s always easier to go from point A to point B, but that’s not always realistic with how complex airline travel is.
True, BUT when you book with a specific airline because they offer a nonstop flight and then months later they change it, it's not good. SW changed our Sept 25 nonstop arriving at 7:15 PM to a 1 stop layover arriving at 10:15 PM, despite them still having a nonstop about 15 minutes different from our original flight. At least there still were some nonstops we could get in our case, which is not true for everyone. And they were booked with points so we could get them back if we wanted to cancel, but booking on shorter notice with another airline could be expensive.

True, BUT when you book with a specific airline because they offer a nonstop flight and then months later they change it, it's not good. SW changed our Sept 25 nonstop arriving at 7:15 PM to a 1 stop layover arriving at 10:15 PM, despite them still having a nonstop about 15 minutes different from our original flight. At least there still were some nonstops we could get in our case, which is not true for everyone. And they were booked with points so we could get them back if we wanted to cancel, but booking on shorter notice with another airline could be expensive.
As with any other company you do business with, if you don't agree with their policies, you're free to find another company.

Now, regarding the bolded, I'm confused. You were booked on flight "A", a non-stop that was supposed to arrive at 7:15PM. That flight got cancelled and they moved you to flight "B", a one stop that arrives at 10:15PM. But they ADDED flight "C", a non-stop that gets in at 7:30PM? Surely flight "C" wasn't available when you booked. Did you call and get moved to flight "C"?

Every airline has flight changes. Literally every one. If you don’t feel comfortable with the idea that your flight could change, you should drive. The number one rule of traveling should be “be flexible and roll with the punches.”

Airlines also have no clue of WHY someone picked a specific flight. Could be total duration, price, because you wanted a layover in a specific airport to get your favorite food, something else. So complaining that they didn’t put you on the perfect alternative is a losing battle.

As with any other company you do business with, if you don't agree with their policies, you're free to find another company.

Now, regarding the bolded, I'm confused. You were booked on flight "A", a non-stop that was supposed to arrive at 7:15PM. That flight got cancelled and they moved you to flight "B", a one stop that arrives at 10:15PM. But they ADDED flight "C", a non-stop that gets in at 7:30PM? Surely flight "C" wasn't available when you booked. Did you call and get moved to flight "C"?
Really? I can spend more with another company? I had no idea. I have started to wonder if one of us should get an AA miles card again. I prefer SW, and have seen American airlines cancelling also.

Bolded - Yes, that is exactly what they did in the switch. Call? No way. I went online and decided since that was the last flight of the night it was too risky. So I switched to a mid-afternoon non-stop, which was not an ideal time but I feel safer with it in case it gets changed again or cancelled and we need more options.

Every airline has flight changes. Literally every one. If you don’t feel comfortable with the idea that your flight could change, you should drive. The number one rule of traveling should be “be flexible and roll with the punches”
Yes, we are experienced flyers. That doesn't mean we can't be unhappy and complain when it happens!

If you think a flight leaving at 4:55 PM arriving at 7:15, cancelled and replaced with one leaving at 5:35 arriving at 8:05, but rebooking people on a layover flight arriving at 10:15 instead makes sense, I'm sure SW would love to hire you for scheduling.

Yes, we are experienced flyers. That doesn't mean we can't be unhappy and complain when it happens!

If you think a flight leaving at 4:55 PM arriving at 7:15, cancelled and replaced with one leaving at 5:35 arriving at 8:05, but rebooking people on a layover flight arriving at 10:15 instead makes sense, I'm sure SW would love to hire you for scheduling.

You got a resolution that was basically the same, so like ... why even bother complaining about it? Not everything in life is worth being upset over. I had Southwest do the same to me last night, and I simply selected a flight that was more agreeable and texted the person I was meeting that my arrival time changed.

No one here is claiming it makes sense. Unfortunately, it just "is". I've had changes that I didn't like, but I've also used changes to get a better deal. Two examples...

1) When booking, the flights we REALLY wanted (great timing) were hundreds of dollars more expensive than the ones we ended up booking. They finally changed the booked flight enough that I was able to get us onto the great timing flights at no extra charge.
2) Another time, again because of price, we had booked out of a neighboring (about an extra hour drive from our "close" airport) city. I can't remember if they just changed us or called us, but I know I was on the phone with Delta and said "well, we'd really like to fly out of our close airport", and they ended up moving us. I think that was $200+/ticket.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!