South Africa 2017 - Post Day 3 Botswana - my epic 4 part entry... can you make it through it all?

Discussion in 'Adventures By Disney' started by Cousin Orville, Jul 27, 2017.

1. EllinK

EllinK Mouseketeer

What a trip! Thanks for all the amazing photos. Now, we all want to go on this adventure and will want the details for your post-days.
    How long were you gone all together?

2. sayhello

sayhello Have Camera, Will Travel

Wow!! That is really amazing! All those animals, right there, all together in the same place. Botswana looks fantastic!

You finished this report while *at* the airport?? *That's* devotion! :thumbsup2

Waiting for you China report.... ;)

Sayhello

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    acndis likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. CaliKris

CaliKris Mouseketeer

What amazing photos and a fabulous trip report! We were thinking of skipping Botswana due to limited vacations days, but your photos have convinced me otherwise. The delta just looks incredible. Those elephants! It is so different from Kapama.

Thank you for taking the time to write this amazing trip report. South Africa here we come (in 2019)! Enjoy China!

5. acndis

acndis Mouseketeer

Great report! Have a wonderful time in China...

6. CaliforniaGirl09

CaliforniaGirl09 DIS Veteran

Yay, you did it! It's an awesome trip report. ABD should hire you :) Have a great time on your China redux. Can't wait to hear about the comparison between your two trips.

7. Jess_S

Jess_S DIS Veteran

Wow. Posting from the airport is really going above and beyond. I'm going to feel like a slug when it takes me 6 months to post my own trip report next summer.

I'm very jealous of the Botswana portion of your post-trip. I've wanted to go to Botswana since reading the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency books in college. Sadly, I don't think we'll have a big enough budget for a post-trip (unless my husband's novels get published, which I keep hoping for). I'm glad your son got to see a 5 star animal. It seems like you had cooperative wildlife throughout the trip.

I'm curious about Kapama. Some of the reviews I've read were critical of the fact that it is not connected to Kruger. But I've read elsewhere that the fences between the reserve and the park were coming down to create a contiguous open area for animals. Did you see fences at all? Did you feel like you were missing out on anything by being at a private reserve vs. Kruger?

Thank you again for doing such an amazing detailed review.

8. tink1970

tink1970 DCL Platinum

I'm with Gavin, would have been thrilled to see Rikki Tikki Tavi!

One of my intern classmates was Dr Livingston and she heard this quote Every Single Day. No surprise that she changed her name (unlike most of us) when she married :)

9. Cousin Orville

Cousin Orville Inventor of Air Cooling

Thanks! We were gone 18 days including flights. The Victoria Falls and Botswana amounted to 5 post days in total if you include the 2 days spent at Johannesburg airport.

I'm not sure how I'll do China. I'd like to report back, but I doubt I'll do it while on the trip. It may be something I do more as a summary or comparison on the regular China ABD. Sitting in Taipei waiting for my short hop to HK. Stay tuned to FB!

If you're going to Vic Falls, I'd strongly recommend a day trip to Botswana. It probably deserves more, but you have to draw the line somewhere. 3 nights in Vic Falls worked out well. I could have used another day in fact.

Thank you!!

Thanks. Super excited to be going back to China. I'm sure I'll get some type of comparison up.

Good luck with your husband's novels! Not having been to Kruger, it's impossible for me to compare them. In my mind I would think they're quite similar, but who knows? At Kapama, you don't see any fences or gates except when you first enter. The land is massive. We drove for hours and to my knowledge never went to the same place twice. Even the landscape changed pretty dramatically as you driver further and further out. That's something that probably isn't conveyed well in my photos. One thing I'm sure of now having been to Africa, is the experiences that one can have is almost infinite. The differences between the south coast of SA and the area around Kruger and Zimbabwe and Botswana. They're all very different. I'd love to go back and visit more places. I've seen friends experiences at other reserves which more leopards and the occasional cheetah which would be cool to see. But as a whole, the ABD with it's time in Cape Town and the Garden Route and Kapama.. it was remarkable.

LOL. Too funny. She didn't marry a Stanley did she?

sayhello and tink1970 like this.
  10. tink1970

tink1970 DCL Platinum

Sadly, no.

Enjoy your trip!

11. *WDW*Groupie*

*WDW*Groupie* DIS Veteran

LOVE your Botswana pics. I can't believe you saw lions so close to the warthogs. That's crazy. I loved watching warthogs run with their tails up in the air - our guide said they were always in a hurry to go nowhere!

I am very excited for our trip to S. Africa and Botswana next year. The ecosystems look so different. I am not terribly excited about the night at the Inter Continental, but it is the only way to get to Botswana from S. Africa. Your experience there made me feel a bit better about it.

Have a great time in China!

Cousin Orville and sayhello like this.
  12. distravel

distravel Mouseketeer

Thanks for sharing another wonderful trip report! Your post trip to Victoria Falls and Botswana looked even more exciting than the ABD trip. Great planning. Enjoy China.

Cousin Orville likes this.
  13. acndis

acndis Mouseketeer

I hope you won't mind writing a summary of extras in China (pre, post, and OYO) as well as tips for the Parks. That with SayHello's awesome report and (I hope) Calypso's will help me get ready for 2019!

Cousin Orville and sayhello like this.
  14. hilarys

hilarys Hilary S

Thank you for the great report. Have a wonderful time on your China trip.

Cousin Orville likes this.
  15. figment52

figment52 <font color=royalblue>Oh man, I checked out the we

16. kid-at-heart

kid-at-heart DIS Veteran

WOW, the Botswana land safari (and boat safari), what an awesome experience. Wonderful, wonderful photos. Thank you.

Kate

17. calypso726

calypso726 Escaping reality one Disney vacation at a time

Fantastic trip report and phenomenal pictures! Thank you for sharing. Looking forward to your feedback on China since we are doing that one next year! Have fun!!!

18. Calfan

Calfan DIS Veteran

Blown away by the Botswana pics. That is absolutely going on the "list." Have a fantastic time in China.