Song of the South

hardhead

Mouseketeer
Just back from disney and my son's fav ride this time was Splash mountain. He keeps asking me to tell him the story. I was wonering if anybody knows where you can get a copy of song of the south???

I don't think it's available in the US, but I can't confirm. That's what I've heard on the boards here but I haven't tried to look myself.

I don't believe it was ever released in the U.S on vhs or dvd (I thought I heard it was available at one time on laser disc) I purchased mine about 8 years ago on ebay from the UK. It was in pal format so I had to convert it. IMO, it was well worth the $'s for the family to enjoy this Disney classic.

I can get you a copy, but they only sell them around Thanksgiving at a "gift/craft show" here where I live. I think they are DVD and $5-20. I almost bought a few last year to put on ebay. If you pm me your email address, I can get back to you 6 months from now. I have seen them at the gift fair several years in a row now.

It will probably be easier to get a copy of the book. I checked ebay and you can buy the VHS there, but make sure it is in the right format for the country in which you live...

I grew up with the book "Uncle Remus Stories" so when they opened Splash Mountain when I was about 10 I was super excited about it. It is a really good ride based on a really good story. The book has been released under other titles over the years... "Uncle Remus, his songs and his sayings," "Tales of Uncle Remus." As far as I know, they are the EXACT same stories, they just have different covers since they were published under different publishers over the years.

The movie, Song of the South, is based on the story about the Tar Baby in the book. Also, B'rer means brother... the stories are written in a southern slave dialect.

http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext00/remus11.txt

Here's the text of the book. You can also watch the movie on YouTube.

I remember going to the movies to see this when I was a kid in the 1970's...you know...before we knew the movie was bad. :rolleyes:

This was the first movie I saw in a theater. It isn't the very best Disney film, but it is worth seeing. I think that, despite the continued refusals of the company to date, Disney will eventually release the movie in some official form. When, I couldn't say -- I just hope it is in my lifetime, even if just for sentimental reasons.

I've told my husband several times that getting me this movie would be THE BEST christmas/birthday/etc present. Don't have the equipment to convert from a foreign format so he'll have to find one that is already converted.

My guess is that Disney is too "politically correct" to ever release the movie on their own.

I bought it on laser disc for a friend in 1995 while I was in Japan. I tried finding it on VHS for myself at the time, but couldn't find it.

Google and you'll find it. Don't pay too much, I think they are all essentially the same. :earsboy:

I believe I got my copy from ebay several years ago.

Also, at the store at the end of Splash Mountain they sell a few of the Uncle Remus books. I got one years ago at Disneyland.

My boys love them.

Dawn

I did an internet search a few years ago and bought a copy off of someones website. I believe it was around 10 bucks. I was also curious about the movie, I thought it was good overall, glad I saw it.

Not sure I'd show it to a 4-year-old. A teen, maybe, for the purposes of discussion; but not a 4-year-old. It's incredibly racist.

I have a copy - can't remember where I got it; I think it was a converted-from-European-format copy from eBay. The quality is wretched, but at least I have it.

That said, I wouldn't work really hard to find it for a small child either. Not only because of the racist issues; but mostly because small kids find the parts "in between" the cartoon bits to be terribly boring. I have watched it with DD6 and DD9. We had a frank discussion of slavery and about it being wrong, also about the movie being made a long time ago when people didn't believe they way we do now. It really didn't matter though, because they were both so bored by the live-action parts that they wandered off to do something else and only came back when the cartoons were on.

Ok, just got back from the Christmas Gift show... they have copies of The Song of the South there for $39.95. They had one playing on the TV in the booth and it was good quality. I didn't buy any tonight, but I can go back tomorrow and buy one for somebody. I would sell on ebay for 40.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter