Something funny but disgusting happened today with my wife

It drives me crazy when older people think they can just get away with murder. I hope they take his license! Glad your wife and friend are okay!

I try not to judge people with confederate flags on their vehicle... although the one time I have seen this in person I definitely failed... they were the most stereotypical example possible...

So first I live in MA so we don't see this often (and this truck had MA plates so it wasn't just traveling)

The truck had a lift kit but it must have been installed wrong because one side of the truck was obviously 6 inches lower then the other.
The truck was all banged and scraped up including being rusted
One brake light was out
They could barely drive the thing and went up on the curb trying to drive around a rotary

To make some of this post on topic: My area has alot of issue with older drivers that probably shouldn't be driving anymore. I know its age discrimination to make an age where you have to retake tests (how come its not age discrimination to make an age where you can legally drive but it is to make an age where you have to prove you still can? I mean older people still have the option to prove they are responsible... I'm pretty sure a few people could responsibly drive at 14 and they don't get that option) so why don't we instead say every other time you get your licence renewed you don't just take a vision test (that is the case in MA now anyway) but also a new driving test.

I realize you will still have people that can pass the test but drive horribly when they aren't being tested, but it would have stopped one old lady I knew that had hit her own garage 10 times because she couldn't see well enough to tell how far she was from it before she caused a real accident.

Last edited:
Yep, car repairs are expensive. Not sure what kind of car it is, but some of them have ridiculously expensive parts.
It's a Cadillac Escalade. They explained that the bumper is very expensive and that a few other parts need to be ordered. The car is only 6 months old.

You are reading something into flying that flag that just isn't there for a whole bunch of people. Just stop.

I don't support that flag nor do I "love" that flag. But it is what it is and that is a part of the history of the southern states.
If someone wants to put it on their truck, so be it. But if you are judging them by what they have on the outside of their truck, how are you any different than those that judge by color?

Judging someone based on their actions and choices is much, much different than judging someone based on an accident of birth (race, gender, etc.).

I'll be honest - I don't think there is a non-racist way to fly the flag of a group of people who tried to tear our nation in two over the strength of their belief in the right to own other human beings, any more than it is possible to fly a Nazi flag out of pride in one's German heritage and claim it has nothing to do with antisemitism and the Third Reich. You'd be surprised how many people here in Michigan fly the confederate flag as a so-called symbol of "southern culture" (never mind that most have never set foot in the south) or rebellion in general. And they all say they're not racist. And then they crack racist jokes (which of course they "don't mean"; they just think they're funny and people should stop being so sensitive) and tell my husband he shouldn't be letting me go into Detroit unarmed and exhibit their true feelings in a million little ways that amount to "I'm not racist, I just don't want minorities anywhere near me or my family!".

But if you are judging them by what they have on the outside of their truck, how are you any different than those that judge by color?

Seriously? There is a world of difference between judging a person based on their skin color, which they can not choose -- and judging someone based on a CHOICE they make. Flying the flag is a choice. People are free to make that choice, but they are not free from judgement for their decision.

Judging someone based on their actions and choices is much, much different than judging someone based on an accident of birth (race, gender, etc.).

I'll be honest - I don't think there is a non-racist way to fly the flag of a group of people who tried to tear our nation in two over the strength of their belief in the right to own other human beings, any more than it is possible to fly a Nazi flag out of pride in one's German heritage and claim it has nothing to do with antisemitism and the Third Reich. You'd be surprised how many people here in Michigan fly the confederate flag as a so-called symbol of "southern culture" (never mind that most have never set foot in the south) or rebellion in general. And they all say they're not racist. And then they crack racist jokes (which of course they "don't mean"; they just think they're funny and people should stop being so sensitive) and tell my husband he shouldn't be letting me go into Detroit unarmed and exhibit their true feelings in a million little ways that amount to "I'm not racist, I just don't want minorities anywhere near me or my family!".

Sounds like things are very different where you are. Here that flag is flown by a great many people for a great many reasons. Some are being racists. Some are all about the Southern Culture. And some just want to fly the thing. And all of the ones that fly it aren't white.

My point about judging someone flyin a flag is that you are judging by what you see not by knowing who or what the person is.

I try not to judge people with confederate flags on their vehicle... although the one time I have seen this in person I definitely failed... they were the most stereotypical example possible...

So first I live in MA so we don't see this often (and this truck had MA plates so it wasn't just traveling)

The truck had a lift kit but it must have been installed wrong because one side of the truck was obviously 6 inches lower then the other.
The truck was all banged and scraped up including being rusted
One brake light was out
They could barely drive the thing and went up on the curb trying to drive around a rotary

To make some of this post on topic: My area has alot of issue with older drivers that probably shouldn't be driving anymore. I know its age discrimination to make an age where you have to retake tests (how come its not age discrimination to make an age where you can legally drive but it is to make an age where you have to prove you still can? I mean older people still have the option to prove they are responsible... I'm pretty sure a few people could responsibly drive at 14 and they don't get that option) so why don't we instead say every other time you get your licence renewed you don't just take a vision test (that is the case in MA now anyway) but also a new driving test.

I realize you will still have people that can pass the test but drive horribly when they aren't being tested, but it would have stopped one old lady I knew that had hit her own garage 10 times because she couldn't see well enough to tell how far she was from it before she caused a real accident.

It's not age discrimination because driving is not a RIGHT, it's a privilege. I had to have a medical exam and for filled out the first time I went to renew my license at 23 because I have very Mild CP. My doctor filled out the form and wrote on it that there was no need to have one done each time I renewed every 5 years, as my condition is not degenerative any more than normal aging. At age 80 is when we have mandatory retesting for seniors unless diagnosed with a condition that would make it necessary sooner.

Sounds like things are very different where you are. Here that flag is flown by a great many people for a great many reasons. Some are being racists. Some are all about the Southern Culture. And some just want to fly the thing. And all of the ones that fly it aren't white.

My point about judging someone flyin a flag is that you are judging by what you see not by knowing who or what the person is.

As someone who is not an American, the confederate flag is portrayed in the international media as having similar meaning as flying a flag with a swastika on it.

As someone who is not an American, the confederate flag is portrayed in the international media as having similar meaning as flying a flag with a swastika on it.
And while you hear that from your media it's simply not true or even close. I can tell you as an American who lives half the time in Canada some of the news you hear there about the US is simply not true and even at times laughable.

And while you hear that from your media it's simply not true or even close. I can tell you as an American who lives half the time in Canada some of the news you hear there about the US is simply not true and even at times laughable.

as a Southern American, I think comparing the Confederate Flag with a Swastika is perfectly appropriate and truer than most would care to admit.
I don't understand why people need a participation trophy to celebrate a war we LOST, that their relatives were likely not even a part of. Mine did fight for the South during the War, but that's no reason to fly the flag today.

But then I'm reminded that the flag was revived during the Civil Rights Era as a banner for racists. I'm proud of being a Southerner, but flying the flag of racist traitors who lost a war isn't how I show it.

I contacted the lady with the costs to repair the truck. She says to come by and get a check. Not sure that's a great idea so an officer is going to meet me there just in case there is a problem.

Man, you have so much luck. Every issue on threads you've described here lately gets wrapped up so quickly!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter