Someone asked about Poly?

OnWithTheShow

No Entangling Alliances
Someone had asked about why the tiki torches around the pool were removed. Feel free to PM or email me if you are interested in knowing why.

I tried to PM you, but it said you won't allow it!!! :confused:

So, just spill here. Why?

Thanks.

Well I guess, this is the reply from the recreation manager at Poly whom I know...

One of the great things about working for our Company is knowing the life long impact we have on our guests and fellow Cast Members. It still amazes me the details that guests will remember on a particular attraction or in this case, a pool!

The old pool was 27 years old and the torches that surrounded it were also about the same age. When we built the new pool, we were required to bring all of the utilities, including the torches, up to today's code requirements. The bad news was that to accomplish what we wanted (a torch that had a self igniting system) we had to design our own torch because there was not a standard one in the market that we could utilize. The good news is that we are almost done. It has been designed and tested on property. We have made a couple of modifications and the torch has been approved for installation. Between fabrication and installation, we should see the new torch in place by the end of August. The ironic part is that when it is completed, it looks almost exactly like the old torch, just better controllers inside that will make it more efficient for us to utilize.

Mahalo nui loa (thank you very much) for your email and I appreciate you giving me the opportunity to answer this question for you. Everything at the Polynesian is going well and we are looking forward to a busy spring break.

Cool, but will they replace the old ones that were left in?

Oh, that was me whining about the torches....they're coming back? Wooohoooo! Love those torches!

I had just assumed it had something to do with the construction of the new pool....figured that with all the piping the pool required that maybe they just couldn't have them anymore. I'm so, so happy they'll be returned! Thank you for finding out!

Like I said...there's just something about those flames...

(pun intended!)

OnWithTheShow, are you saying they are going to replace those rotten light bulbs with flame? If I understand that right, you have indeed made me very happy,

I remember when the addition was constructed at the Poly how absolutely disappointed I was that the ‘real fire’ concept was extended to that section as well, and instead we got light bulbs! :( I’ve always used that as a very small example of the show being diminished. When the pool was re-done recently and they again replaced fire with bulbs, it was just another indication that I was ‘right’ all along.

And now my head is spinning!!! Just a little thing like real flames throughout the Poly would really pick up the SHOW, IMO. Why? Because they don’t have to do it. And yet they did!!! Now that’s a good SHOW!!!

Thanks for the info!! :D :D :D

Adding another cheer to the others for this decision. I LOVE the torches and to see them back will make the Poly "my" resort again. :D

Lesley, I agree that there is something about those flames. They are beautiful and mysterious and a bit romantic... :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter