Some tips for those of you headed to Shanghai

I'll be sure to keep that in mind for my (nonexistent) trip to China ;)

I also suspect the "purchase" of fastpass may be a translation error or poor choice of words. It sounds like their version of Fastpass is pretty much legacy fastpass - one at a time, from a kiosk or guest services location, with a timed window for usage. The article also mentions ticket sales for shows - it's hard to tell whether these are all language issues or whether there are actually "tickets" to rides and shows like old style ticket books.

I wondered what they mean by stating that Shanghai Disneyland had a more lenient policiy on outside food and drink than other Disney properties - I don't know what could be more lenient that WDWs current policy of allowing food. Didn't a blogger once set up an entire Thanksgiving feast on the train platform?

I suspect there may be some errors in this article. As per the Shanghai Disneyland official website's section on FP, this will be a legacy system with paper FPs from machines. The main difference is that the machines seem to all be in the Guest Services area of each land, not necessarily near their respective rides. As for the shows, you do need to buy tickets for The Lion King in Disney Town, but all shows within the park are included with admission. There are no tickets or ticket books.

I believe the word 'purchase' is an error - maybe lost in translation. Shanghai Disneyland's English website says this about FP:
If you see a long line at an attraction and prefer to come back at a designated time with a shorter line, you can! Pick up a Disney Fastpass ticket—available at participating Guest Services locations for no extra charge.

I didn't want to open a new thread, so I thought this one would be most suitable. More information about turkey legs in Shanghai ;-) Not sure, but I believe it is the China Daily of August 4th, 2017

Air-China-Business-Class-737-36.jpg

Think "purchase" for FP is almost certainly a translation error.

Was there in May, and FPs worked similar to paper FPs - the difference though was that the FP distribution areas were not right outside the ride, but instead at "Guest Services" locations in each land. So for example, if you wanted Winnie the Pooh, Peter Pan or 7DMT FPs, you would need to go to the "Guest Services" location in Fantasyland to get the FP. The FP queues could be crazy though particularly the one for Soarin/Rapids!

But - you can actually also buy FPs in Shanghai - these are legit FPs sold by Disney. There is a bit of a convoluted process which includes taking a photo of yourself with a CM holding the day's date on your phone and having to show that photo when using the FP (probably to prevent fakes) in addition to the FP itself and another slip of paper. But they do sell FPs!

Been to SDL twice. Last time was a year ago.
Some of my replies to the article:

1. Pirates of Caribbean Battle for the Sunken Treasure does not have a fastpass. It DOES have an unmarked single rider line, and I recommend the single rider line. It won't save you any time, but it is far less stuffy and uncomfortable than the standby line. Ask for the single rider line by holding up one finger as you approach the CM at the line entrance. In my two trips to SDL, the single rider line was only available in the morning. This is the BEST attraction in any Disney park and is not to be missed.
2. Correct, you do not purchase fastpasses. Each park area has one set of FP machines for its area. The line to get a FP may look HUGE, but the line moves very quickly. Don't fear the line.
3. I recommend a FP for Soaring Over the Horizon. This is probably the most popular ride and the standby wait goes to an hour or more right at rope drop. The standby line is not interesting. It'll take 20 minutes to get a FP.
4. Another ride that is also very popular is Roaring Rapids.
5. TRON: They WILL make you take your glasses off and store it in the compartment that is part of the ride vehicle, UNLESS you can demonstrate that they will not come off. Wear a glasses strap if you want to experience the full greatness of the attraction. The glasses strap worked for me all three times that I rode.
6. TRON: it has a single rider line. Don't use it, you will not save time and the other single riders were especially rude in this line.
7. Don't believe the article. Voyage to the Crystal Grotto is not visually stunning. It's a boat ride, mostly outside, with a short portion that goes under the castle. Around each bend is a set with bad animatronics or still figures, of poorly rendered Disney cartoon characters. It feels cheap. This is a low priority ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!